• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cerebus #1 being sold on eBay - Possible counterfeit?

23 posts in this topic

http://cgi.ebay.com/CEREBUS-THE-AARDVARK-1-KEY-ISSUE-IN-FINE-VF_W0QQitemZ6628025201QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Books_Comics_Magazines_US_Comics_ET?hash=item6628025201&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

1) There is no smudging by the sword's hilt or Cerebus' helmet and printing is very crisp.

2) Dark black background w/ white spots and orangish-red flames

3) Silver staples

& 4) I'm willing to bet the interior of this is glossy.

The only possible reasoning behind this is that this guy is too lazy to make a scan on his own and he pulled one of a counterfeit and it's not his actual item. With the way this issue looks, I'd beware of trying to purchase it.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't collect Cerebus, so I'm not familiar with the differences between the genuine #1 and the counterfeit version. Maybe you can use this thread to educate us who do not know what to look for.

There is currently a genuine Cerebus #1 in the "Can you spare a grade" thread. To my untrained eye it looks just like the copy on eBay. Here is the one from the grading thread:

Cerebus1-1.jpg

There are good comparison images on the internet here:

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/8580/cerebus1compare.jpg

To be perfectly honest, the copy on eBay looks like a genuine copy to me, especially if you look at the coloring on Cerebus' tail. Again, I am certainly not an expert, so maybe you can clarify.

I've picked up three counterfeits recently and none of them have the bit of white on the bottom left front cover. One of my authentic copies does (the one posted above). Plus, the real copy has silver staples, the counterfeit has bronze. The book on ebay looks legit to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CEREBUS-THE-AARDVARK-1-KEY-ISSUE-IN-FINE-VF_W0QQitemZ6628025201QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Books_Comics_Magazines_US_Comics_ET?hash=item6628025201&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

1) There is no smudging by the sword's hilt or Cerebus' helmet and printing is very crisp.

2) Dark black background w/ white spots and orangish-red flames

3) Silver staples

& 4) I'm willing to bet the interior of this is glossy.

The only possible reasoning behind this is that this guy is too lazy to make a scan on his own and he pulled one of a counterfeit and it's not his actual item. With the way this issue looks, I'd beware of trying to purchase it.

Silver staples mean it's genuine (counterfeits have bronze staples) (thumbs u

Also, did you try emailing the guy and asking whether the interior cover was glossy or flat before hanging him out to dry like this? I have both a genuine & a couple of counterfeit Cerebus #1, and this actually looks like a real copy.

Oops, too true with the staples. My mistake.

Didn't message him, and how are you going to see gloss in a scan? From the ones I've seen this really doesn't look genuine, that is a very dark background and the white spots are very visible, no smearing with the printing, and the red tones change from left to right. The beard on the warrior facing you is very detailed.

Never said this is flat out a fake, but trying to warn people. IMO, if you wanted to sell it, why not provide everything that shows it's real if you had proof.

Didn't message him, and how are you going to see gloss in a scan? From the ones I've seen this really doesn't look genuine, that is a very dark background and the white spots are very visible, no smearing with the printing, and the red tones change from left to right. The beard on the warrior facing you is very detailed.

Never said this is flat out a fake, but trying to warn people. IMO, if you wanted to sell it, why not provide everything that shows it's real if you had proof.

Might want to edit the title of the thread just a bit? (shrug)

Dude - look at the title of this thread doh!

Perhaps the seller is just lazy or doesn't realize that you need to provide a bit more info when you're selling a Cerebus #1? You know what - I'll do your job for you, and message him right now to ask about the interior cover.

coun⋅ter⋅feit   /ˈkaʊntərˌfɪt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [koun-ter-fit] Show IPA Pronunciation

–adjective 1. made in imitation so as to be passed off fraudulently or deceptively as genuine; not genuine; forged: counterfeit dollar bills.

2. pretended; unreal: counterfeit grief.

–noun 3. an imitation intended to be passed off fraudulently or deceptively as genuine; forgery.

4. Archaic. a copy.

5. Archaic. a close likeness; portrait.

6. Obsolete. impostor; pretender.

–verb (used with object) 7. to make a counterfeit of; imitate fraudulently; forge.

8. to resemble.

9. to simulate.

–verb (used without object) 10. to make counterfeits, as of money.

11. to feign; dissemble.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:

1250–1300; (adj.) ME countrefet false, forged < AF cuntrefet, OF contrefait, ptp. of conterfere to copy, imitate, equiv. to conter- counter- + fere to make, do ≪ L facere (see fact ); (v.) ME countrefeten, v. deriv. of countrefet

Title was really just to bring attention to the thread, didn't know it was going to keep you up at night. And I even offer a reasoning that it may actually be genuine in my first post, saying what is pictured may not be the item, giving the guy an out. I, personally, seeing what is pictured compared to everything else I've seen and handled would stay away.