• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fathers Vintage Collection! Give Me a Break!!!! Ebay Item # 2205188514

241 posts in this topic

Wait a minute....

The buyer of the auction lists his location as Los Angeles.

The seller lists his location as Knights Ferry, which is near Sacramento.

That is about a 7-8 hour drive one way.

That would be a two day trip, how could he possible post a feedback that quickly?

I was one of the ones siding with the scam idea. Before the transaction was complete, I defiantly felt it leaned that way. After the transaction, it seems more circumstantial and the reality seems that it might just be a guy with too much money and not enough knowledge.

Circumstantial evidence for scam (as of now)

1. Both buyer and seller type in all caps

2. The quickness of the feedback

However...

1. While the buyer types in all caps, he ends his text with “GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS” or something similar on all his auctions. This wasn't included in the auction in question.

2. He is bidding on other comics from other areas and seems to be something he just started.

3. There is no evidence that the photos taken were by the same person or in the same house.

I never thought of looking at Ebay auction in this way till I started lurking here. Yes, it is a little silly, but I am glad I am now alert to some of these things. I will start buying again very soon and I do not want to be ripped off.

This guy says he is selling issues for a home remodeling.. does he really think he's going to make a profit on selling the books? blush.gif

I am deeply saddened that someone actually bought the books, and amazed that he'd actually answer questions on his purchase.

I'm just waiting to see that Avengers #4 (Giant Size 27_laughing.gif), early Spider-man's (Marvel tales) and some of the other Keys, like that Nick Fury #1 (70's reprint) killer he has listed.

Well Joe, since he already listed a Hulk Special #4 as Incredible Hulk #4 foreheadslap.gif27_laughing.gif the Avengers #4 is probably Annual #4. But the early DC war Our Fighting Forces are kinda cool #4 and 8 listed. #1 to 10 of any those early top 5 DC War books would spark my interest in a deal but not any close to me dropping $15,000, maybe $3 to 5,000 if there isa lot more older stuff like that. grin.gif

Well, regardless of outcome, and the conclusions reached, I for one am going to be nominating fantastic for a Pulitzer for Investigative Reporting. joe collector, Freiherr and deathlok are gonna' have to get nods also. What a team! And fascinating stuff.

Having originally determined that the time frame between winning the bid and posting the feedback was 14 hours and 22 minutes, and deathlok saying it's a 14 to 16 hour roundtrip drive from Knights Ferry to LA and back....well, it is pretty intriguing to say the least.

Upon winning the bid, the buyer would barely have had time to run out of his house, start up his car, race the 7 hours down the freeway to LA, locate and cruise by the seller's house, make eye contact with the seller who is waiting on the front lawn with the long boxes, have the seller HURL the four boxes into the buyer's still-moving car (front passenger seat), without dropping below 20 mph (so as not to damage Dad's books), simultaneously flinging a bag of unmarked $20s back at the seller, (with seller speed-counting the dough as the buyer rolls past the mailbox), thumbs up from seller, cheeri-o from buyer, who then speeds off and manages to carefully go through and examine the entire contents of the long boxes with one hand while steering through rush hour freeway traffic with the other, come to the conclusion he made a great buy, park the car, drag the boxes into the house and then RUSH to the computer upon reaching home and post the feedback!

WHEW! I'm exhausted from just TYPING that! 893whatthe.gif

Well, regardless of outcome, and the conclusions reached, I for one am going to be nominating fantastic for a Pulitzer for Investigative Reporting. joe collector, Freiherr and deathlok are gonna' have to get nods also. What a team! And fascinating stuff.

I agree. FF definitely went above and beyond the call of duty... assuming he's not involved in this deal in any way.... Hmmm.. 27_laughing.gif

Having originally determined that the time frame between winning the bid and posting the feedback was 14 hours and 22 minutes, and deathlok saying it's a 14 to 16 hour roundtrip drive from Knights Ferry to LA and back....well, it is pretty intriguing to say the least.

It all makes Scammer Sense right up until we see what this "seller" is listing. In a true scam environment, the guy would be listing ASM 14's, FF 48's, and all manner of Silver and Gold keys. The promotion of the original auction would thereby be used to spur sales on this "EBay Gold Find" and really take the saps for their cash.

In this case, the guy's listing (and mis-listing) [!@#%^&^] and won't likely see much money at all. It just doesn't add up; it's almost physically impossible for it to be a real sale, but listing [!@#%^&^] after the $15K hoopla makes no sense either.

BTW....

I also think this auction is going to go down as an historical one in EBAY lore...so I hereby put forth the idea that the books purchased in this auction be recognized as part of an official newly-designated pedigree, ...

The Daddy's Little Girl Pedigree !!!!!

I for one am going to try to grab a piece of the action! I've set aside up to $1.75 to grab one and own a great conversation piece! grin.gif

Also, in looking at the buyers new auction listings. Of the 20 comics he has listed, 7 of them were in the seller's original auction picture. Now what would be the odds of pulling 20 comics from over 700+ comics, and having 7 of them from the original pics? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Actually, the guy might have decided to save on shipping costs and could have already driven down to make the auction close time in LA. If he was spending $15K, he might have decided to look the goods through beforehand and could have had a laptop on hand to handle a higher bid if needed (although his max bid might have been somewhat higher anyway). If that was the case, he could have loaded the books up, taken them home and had plenty of time to feedback.

I've never done one of these type deals before, but if I was going to, that would seem as reasonable a way to go as any.

Common sense would have to at least accidentally stumble into the picture somewhere. My guess is the seller thought the older comics were worth more and decided to flash them to help make the sell.

I know that's what I thought when I fist started. That...and anything that said #1 would be worth the big bucks some day (and that Venom #1 will support my retirement...just you see). insane.gif

Doesn't Know a Lot about comics and BID $15,000??????????????? If what he has Up for eBay is indicative of what he got...Whoooo Boy!!!!

I'm eating lunch at work and won't be able to post more completely until later tonight at the earliest, possibly not even until Friday--Saturday at the latest. I'm fairly certain the deal did take place after the conversation, but my thoughts so far on the quality of the deal are that I don't have many thoughts--I can't tell what the guy got yet to make any kind of educated determination. A part of that hour's discussion was him asking me to help him figure out if he had gotten a good deal, but without a list, I said I couldn't even begin to help, so he said he'd finish one sometime today. And even with a list then the deal's quality might depend on the grades.

If memory serves, his brother collects comics and his brother and he worked on the deal. He said they've been collecting together for a while--he even told me his brother's name and profession and his own profession--he says he's a pilot in the US Marines. In the earlier post where I said he put me on hold, he claimed it was his commanding officer and he had to take it. confused-smiley-013.gif Based upon what he said his brother does for a living, he shouldn't have a problem footing $15,000 if his brother went in on the books with him.

And here's today's shocker--he claims his last bid was for $25,000!!! 893whatthe.gif

So far the books he has up for auction are fairly worn. The only value they would have is age value. Hopefully he has better looking books. Did he mention if he bought them in order to sell them individually, or did he buy them for his own collection and sell what he didn't want?

The buyer of the auction lists his location as Los Angeles.

The seller lists his location as Knights Ferry, which is near Sacramento.

That is about a 7-8 hour drive one way.

That would be a two day trip, how could he possible post a feedback that quickly?

I dunno...he rattled off his exact address, but I didn't write it down because he was barraging me with info so fast. I did write down the address of the seller...he said Knights Ferry is outside of Modesto, and if I heard him right, near San Francisco.

This point requires further research...I probably need to write down his address. I was wrong about Garganthu's request seeming too heavy-handed...the barrage of e-mails he's gotten seems to have gotten him mega-hyped to share his side of the story and he was frothing at the mouth to answer any question I asked. crazy.gif

New Theory...

This guy is really lonely and decided to buy them off the lady to get in good with her...heck it got him in her house...viola....instant date.

Well since he sounded to be in his 20s, and he described "daddyslittlegirl57" as elderly (maybe 57 years old?), I hope you're wrong. insane.gif

Well Joe, since he already listed a Hulk Special #4 as Incredible Hulk #4 foreheadslap.gif27_laughing.gif the Avengers #4 is probably Annual #4.

This is a distinct possibility, we'll see more when the list comes. It sounded like he's learned more about comics in grading in the last 3 days than he has in many, many years, and he kept asking me a bunch of rather basic questions to help him figure out how much the books were worth. If memory serves, he kept referring to his brother as the expert and "condition freak." I can't remember now whether he characterized his brother's opinion on the sale, but it must have been favorable since his own opinion was so favorable.

It could be that he and his brother share his account.

I agree. FF definitely went above and beyond the call of duty... assuming he's not involved in this deal in any way.... Hmmm.. 27_laughing.gif

If the seller is Lee Harvey Oswald and the buyer is John F. Kennedy, I knew it was inevitable that one of you conspiracy theorists would eventually place me somewhere on the grassy knoll. gossip.gifgossip.giftongue.gif

I also think this auction is going to go down as an historical one in EBAY lore...so I hereby put forth the idea that the books purchased in this auction be recognized as part of an official newly-designated pedigree, ...

The Daddy's Little Girl Pedigree !!!!!

Since I've already got a loose relationship with the Comics Buyer's Guide related to writing pedigree-related articles, I'm thinking about writing something up for them. That's not to say in the LEAST I think this collection is anywhere in the same ballpark of deserving a "pedigree" label at this point.

I'd probably only write an article if the results are somewhat positive...we all know the scams that are on e-bay, that's everyday stuff, but if this guy actually made out--THAT'S news.gif !!! The simple fact that it sounds so far like the rest of the books were fairly representative of what was in the auction scan is somewhat amazing unto itself.

In this case, the guy's listing (and mis-listing) [!@#%^&^] and won't likely see much money at all. It just doesn't add up; it's almost physically impossible for it to be a real sale, but listing [!@#%^&^] after the $15K hoopla makes no sense either.

He said something about wanting to yank all the auctions for some reason that I didn't hear because he was talking a mile-a-minute, which was too fast for my "is what he just said a bunch of BS?" filter to process. I do remember him debating with himself and deciding he shouldn't end them because all the people who sent him e-mails would think he was scamming them.