• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fathers Vintage Collection! Give Me a Break!!!! Ebay Item # 2205188514

241 posts in this topic

You might also ask him if he had a collection of comics before he bought these. What is the best book he's found in the collection he just bought (he's had time to check) and what motivated him to go gung-ho on this lot. Obviously, don't sound like you are interrogating him, just asking friendly questions. smile.gif

Okay, let's say you've got footage of the murderer in the act - do you still need a motive? Sure, you'd like to have one, if only for academic purposes, but you don't need one for a conviction do you? (And if you DO, then you could simply propose a motive to the jury - it wouldn't have to be the actual motive, if in fact a real motive even existed. Unlike the old days, completely senseless murders take place all the time in our "civilized world.")

As for the request for the photo, I think it would be a matter of how you presented the idea: "hey, Bart: any chance you'd be willing to send me a pic of you with the collection, maybe holding a couple of the real gems?"

Pointing the guy to this board would be interesting, but if in fact we're seeing a scam unfold, I'd expect the guy to totally clam up at that point, maybe to the extent that he doesn't list any of the collection on eBay...

What about giving him the impression that you're now regretting not buying this lot, and querying him about giving you first dibs on some of the best stuff? That way, a photo or two would seem like a reasonable request...

More was directed at the seller than any buyers. Personally I do not care if either read what I posted. I cant think of anything that was said by anyone (pro or con) was unreasonable. I wouldn’t be upset if it were me, but I understand that many folks do not take such things very well.

It'd certainly take the buyer a fair while to get through this thread. After ten pages of speculation, rhetoric and bile aimed at both the seller and any potential buyers (none of it deserved, I might sincerely add) the opportunity for diplomacy may well have sailed. Perhaps the better option regarding contacting said purchaser would be to do so without mentioning this thread. Probably.

It'd certainly take the buyer a fair while to get through this thread. After ten pages of speculation, rhetoric and bile aimed at both the seller and any potential buyers (none of it deserved, I might sincerely add) the opportunity for diplomacy may well have sailed. Perhaps the better option regarding contacting said purchaser would be to do so without mentioning this thread. Probably.

if he reads this thread, he's probably thinking...... "man these folks sure need a life." blush.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gifforeheadslap.gif

Okay, let's say you've got footage of the murderer in the act - do you still need a motive?

No, you don't still need a motive then...so what's the equivalent of the video footage (smoking gun) with this E-Bay sale again? confused-smiley-013.gif

OK I'm talking to the buyer on the phone as I type this...he's put me on hold for a minute.

Quite an interesting story so far! He's really talkative...I'm jotting down a bunch of notes but probably won't be able to put them together until tomorrow. I will say he tells me he's listed approximately 30 of the books from the collection under his e-bay account...I haven't even had a chance to go look at them yet.

I've already asked and gotten answers to all of the questions people in the thread have asked...more to come.

I will say he tells me he's listed approximately 30 of the books from the collection under his e-bay account...I haven't even had a chance to go look at them yet.

Sounds interesting.... grin.gif

P.S. I hope he spent the $12-$14 PER BOOK (!) on better stuff than he's listing. Otherwise, give me his number and I'll load him up with a few longboxes of my own private stash. grin.gif

Just hung up...he's really talkative, think we talked about an hour. He said he's gotten over 150 e-mails from people about this sale and is currently overwhelmed, and he said the seller was also overwhelmed with e-mails. I told him about this thread, he said he hadn't seen it but had gotten so many e-mails that he wasn't terribly surprised.

His brother collects comics, he's been around them his whole life but doesn't collect them himself much. He's still working on a complete list that he's gonna send me; I can't tell what kind of a deal he got until he sends the list. He actually gave me the real name of the seller, her address and phone number, his own address and phone number, the details of the physical transaction, more stuff--I didn't ask for that stuff, but he offered it when I mentioned the title of this thread...I'll see if I can verify it when I get the chance.

For now I'll copy and paste my raw notes on the ones he specifically mentioned before I go to bed and share the rest tomorrow, he mentioned several war titles he claimed were Golden Age books but I didn't recognize them and missed most of them except "our fighting men," I'll flip through Overstreet to see if the titles jog my memory later.

__________________________________________________________________________________

avengers 4, 5, old spider-mans, superman 101, 124, 199, incredible hulk 140, there were newer books in the lot, our fighting men? (says the date was 1955), donald ducks/jiminey cricket/lots of other disneys from 1940s, nick fury 1--he's selling it now on ebay along with x-men 36, 200-300 books were new stuff and 600-700 were old (pre-70s), early iron mans, thors, 55-60 different tales to astonish issues

__________________________________________________________________________________

More details tomorrow or Friday, gotta go to bed

This guy says he is selling issues for a home remodeling.. does he really think he's going to make a profit on selling the books? blush.gif

I am deeply saddened that someone actually bought the books, and amazed that he'd actually answer questions on his purchase.

I'm just waiting to see that Avengers #4 (Giant Size 27_laughing.gif), early Spider-man's (Marvel tales) and some of the other Keys, like that Nick Fury #1 (70's reprint) killer he has listed.

This eBay Buy , from what I've seen so Far, could go Down as one of the Great Comic Flim-Flam Deals of all time. I HOPE for His Sake he is Holding the GOOD (and it BETTER Be Good) Stuff Back....if the best is what was shown in the ORIGINAL seller's ad, Somebody has been Scammed for what Reason (Stacking his Bids???), I Don't KNOW???

avengers 4, 5, old spider-mans, superman 101, 124, 199, incredible hulk 140, there were newer books in the lot, our fighting men? (says the date was 1955), donald ducks/jiminey cricket/lots of other disneys from 1940s, nick fury 1--he's selling it now on ebay along with x-men 36, 200-300 books were new stuff and 600-700 were old (pre-70s), early iron mans, thors, 55-60 different tales to astonish issues

If 600-700 were low/mid grade non-key Silver then they might be worth $15 each.

That's about $10,000.

The rest... foreheadslap.gif

My thoughts of $5000 ($5 per book) was more like a good deal.

If he relisted them in smaller lots he might get $7500 for them and have made a nice little sum.

Now it looks like he will lose 50% unless he finds some keys.

"old spider-mans"

14 and back? confused-smiley-013.gif

popcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

Well if they were all late Silver then no, but Avengers 4 and 5 and early Spider-mans...?

I assume there is some early 60s and 50s stuff there too ($20-$50+), to average out the late Silver ($5-$10).

I couldn’t stop myself and went looking into this some more (I am bored)

It does not seem this guy is near the poverty level. He is bidding on many comics and one auction is much like the one in question. Past bids have been on Baseball cards and land in CA. He also has an auction up for a nice plasma TV and a few collectable items. Only odd bid was on the Credit thing and if he buying property/real-estate, that is not odd. I use to work for a bank and many people would use credit tricks (legal and illegal) before going after a loan.

I looked at every photo of his current and past auctions trying to find the same carpet or couch shown in the picture of the fathers collection (I said I was bored). No luck.

Considering the other books he is bidding on, it seems he may be under the impression that he can make good money on flipping them (Seven Hulk 181s). As mentioned above, I hope there is a lot more to that $15,300 than what has be shown so far. Boy, does he have a rude awakening if not. Then again, he may also be the type that throws $100 a pop on roulette tables.