• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TTA 59 9.6 sells for 10K

514 posts in this topic

Personally for me, I could never spend that sort of money on any book I have had/ seen hundreds of copies. I literally had 30 of those at one time in my convention stock in the 90's. Granted, none were that nice, but condition isn't as important to me as "What the book is" So for me, a mid grade bats #1 would be something historic & special in my eyes, where as the other would just be a REALLY pretty copy of a very plentiful book.

That being said, I wouldn't put down the buyer, or anyone else who thinks it's worthwhile. We all enjoy our own thing and don' t need to justify our actions for it.

(worship)

I agree with Matt. Hey if paying $10K for an extremely abundant book, that will probably also prove to be abundant in 9.6 or better blows your shirt tail out, then more power to you.

I've paid $10k and much more for key books over the years, so I can't waggle my finger at those who do. But, I haven't, nor will I, pay that kind of money for a non-real key book in any grade.

I feel the same way about The Mile High Captain America #4 or whatever. Just not worth $10k or more to me. Certainly not a TTA 59. Not in 9.6, 9,8, 9.9 or 10.0. It's a cool silver age book of no real significance. Hanging a high grade on it and paying a large sum of money for it, doesn't change that in my view. The book is what it is. Batman #1, Captain America #1, et al, are big books no matter what the grade. That's my point.

But if it keeps the hobby moving forward, then I guess it is a good thing?? (shrug)

Next time one of you GA guys rambles on about Suspensce Comics, or some other GA obscure 'gem'... I'll be sure blurt out the obvious dumb arse response I just read above.

Saying TTA#59 isn't a key is delinquent in the extreme...Hulks first apperance in his own on-going tile.

What's 44 years of an ongoing title worth spanning four ages... gee talk about a complete non-event doh! doh! doh!

I wouldn't pay $10K for Suspense #3 or any other GA "obscure gem" either Brasseye.

"Delinquent in the extreme"? Histrionics much bucko?

Hulk's first appearance in his "own" title wasn't TTA #59. My recollection is that was a shared title between two heroes. Isn't that more accurate? Wouldn't Hulk #102, the first comic since his short-lived first series called The Incredible Hulk be a more accurate place to start the chronology of his "own series". Check the Overstreet again, look under "I" for starters, you will see Incredible Hulk, The - #'s 1 - 6, then #102 - 474. That would seem to be the more correct accounting of his "own "series.

But let's not let facts, or comic history, get in the way of your financial argument.

I don't begrudge anyone the right to collect whatever they want, or pay whatever they want for comics. I don't, however, surrender my right to find it amusing either.

BTW, for the record....at least my grail is supposed to be yellow...

:baiting:

now that's just harsh; hilarious, but harsh.

I didn't mean it to be harsh. Honest :wishluck:

But his poor spelling, unsupportable assertions and name calling kind of got under my old, crusty, skin. Ya know what I mean?

And raggin on a book you know nothing of, and care even less about is ... for pete's sake you take the cake for being a conceited blow-hard doh!

:acclaim:

What kind of cake? Carrot? :wishluck:

Batman #1 > Tales To Astonish #59

Watson is of course correct. And Roy, this is supported by quantifiable facts. If you think that TTA #59 and Batman #1 have had the same impact on comics and on the hobby, then you are in denial. Some things are black and white Roy. Others are merely opinions. Batman #1 is clearly a more important book than any TTA issue ever printed. In reality, more important than the entire run combined.

Now, if the maket decides that TTA #59 or #27 or #60, etc should become more valuable than Batman #1, then so be it. The relative importance on the hobby over the 70 years of available data to analyze is not diminished to the capacity that it exceeds Batman #1 in importance.

Bill, of course Batman #1 is a HUGE book but I was talking about relative importance to the collector who pays big bucks for a SA book and not in respect to the entire hobby. To a Hulk collector Batman #1 is as important as a bar of soap (and hence would not bend over to pcik one up lol)...although I do love the book and appreciate it I can understand how some would not.

I really don't think relative value is such a hard concept to grasp.

(shrug)

...of course if everyone did "get" it then we'd have nothing left to argue over.

R.

So...let's add some fuel to the fire.

Who's the dork forum member who purchased this book? :whistle:

:popcorn:

Yeah, show some of your own balls and support your purchase instead of allowing underlings to do it. :whistle:

Well, if I had $10k laying around, i'd certainly buy a Batman #1 unrestored low grade. It's hard to stomach how collectors are paying a premium for a 2nd tier perhaps even 3 tier book. It's such a common book to be had in any grade. I don't know, I guess some collectors are just high graded collector freaks.

Well, if I had $10k laying around, i'd certainly NOT buy a Batman #1 unrestored low grade. It's hard to stomach how collectors are paying a premium for a low grade copy, with lots of unattractive stress marks and creases, of one of the most common GA keys. It's such a common book to be had in any grade below VF/NM. I don't know, I guess some collectors are just willing to settle for anything.

Yep. Silly us again. Settling for one of the most gigantic comics in history, with first appearances of two of the most important and influential villains in comics history, and beginning an unbroken nearly 70 year run of a single comic character book, who is arguably the second or third most recognizable character in the entire world is just plain silly.

I'll settle for that anyday over any 3rd tier SA comic that you have to have a reach like Reed Richards to find any real "keyness" about, any day of the week and thrice on Sunday.

But you know that Tim, we've had this discussion before.

Bill, it just left a bad taste in my mouth when you posted with the assumption that by showing you could buy a Batman #1 for the same price as a 9.6 TTA #59, that that proved definitively that $10K was too much for the TTA #59. Why can't you just accept the fact that there are some collectors for which Batman #1 = zzz , and they are entitled to their opinion, which is no less valid than yours? (shrug)

I can guarantee that if you ever post some new acquisition, I would never rag on you in the same way that you've just ragged on the buyer of the TTA #59 (who is a board member, by the way), even if what you had bought wasn't my cup of tea.

My original intent was twofold:

1. Humor

2. To demonstrate what I would rather spend $10K on

It really has nothing to do with TTA #59. As I mentioned way back in the early days of this thread, I wouldn't pay $10K for ANY non-key book. GA, SA or BA. That is just too difficult for me to rationalize. Certainly not Suspense #3 as was opined by others. But most assuredly, it is even more difficult when I see books like TTA #59 or some mid run FF going for that kind of money. It just messes with my sense and sensibility about what I believed about this hobby.

But, clearly I need to adapt.

I wasn't really attempting to rag on the book itself, it is a cool book. One that I have enjoyed reading many times. Blackeye's attempts to revise comic history and to illustrate his financial point riled me up and begged a response, and a reckoning.

You are completely right about others opinions being valid about whether Batman #1, or any other book, is a snoozefest. I can't take issue with that at all.

Plenty GA books bore me into insanity, but I respect some of my friends rights to gush over them. But they aren't trying to make the point that All Western Winners #2 or Red Raven #1 (or whatever) is the be all, end all of comics lore.

That is the differentiator.

...let's hope he doesn't corner the market on romances.

:eek:

Watson is of course correct. And Roy, this is supported by quantifiable facts. If you think that TTA #59 and Batman #1 have had the same impact on comics and on the hobby, then you are in denial. Some things are black and white Roy. Others are merely opinions. Batman #1 is clearly a more important book than any TTA issue ever printed. In reality, more important than the entire run combined.

Now, if the maket decides that TTA #59 or #27 or #60, etc should become more valuable than Batman #1, then so be it. The relative importance on the hobby over the 70 years of available data to analyze is not diminished to the capacity that it exceeds Batman #1 in importance.

Bill, of course Batman #1 is a HUGE book but I was talking about relative importance to the collector who pays big bucks for a SA book and not in respect to the entire hobby. To a Hulk collector Batman #1 is as important as a bar of soap (and hence would not bend over to pcik one up lol)...although I do love the book and appreciate it I can understand how some would not.

I really don't think relative value is such a hard concept to grasp.

(shrug)

...of course if everyone did "get" it then we'd have nothing left to argue over.

R.

Then we are in agreement

And if you want your collection to be the best what are the two most likely drivers? Status with the hobby and ego. (shrug) If it was purely about the books everyone would be satisfied with a nice vf or more like vg.

I'll continue to disagree with you on this one. Besides the fact that you're overlooking the thrill of the chase, there's also the sheer aesthetic beauty of a 40-year old book that looks brand newenjoyment, and also the joy and wonderment of finding a book that has somehow defied the odds by not turning into a bent-up, faded piece of crumbling pulp.

People who know my collecting history know that I grew up collecting pretty much in a vacuum becaue I grew up overseas. I never attended a con until 1995, and can still count all the cons I've attended on one hand. I knew no other comic collectors except for a few schoolmates and, when I came to the US for college in 1982, a few other college students. I bought all of my back issues from mail order dealers, in the days when everything was listed as VF-NM, so it wasn't like I knew I could buy better copies by paying more. I also didn't know how easy or hard it was to find NM copies, nor did I know that other people coveted them. I just thought it was a roll of the dice. All I knew was that when I ordered back issues and some of them arrived all ragged out, and others arrived looking brand new, I liked the new-looking ones better. Believe me, there was no one to impress! lol I just knew what I liked.

I know you're going to say to me that some people just like mint books. Yeah, but why do they like mint books to the point where they are willing to pay 100x or 500x vg? Status, ego, wagging.

As explained above, there was no one for me wag my to! (this statement will probably come back to haunt me someday when I'm running for office) In any event, you make it sound like collectors are broadcasting that they'll pay 100 or 500X vg for a mint book, but generally it doesn't work like that. They're more than happy to buy the book as cheap as possible. But if other collectors and dealers with a similar passion for NM copies of hard-to-find books have found after years of searching that they're really difficult to find, it stands to reason that they're going to charge a higher price if they do happen to find a NM copy, right? So if now you want that book and haven't been able to find it in NM ever, and are worried that if you don't buy it now then some other similarly addicted collector is going to snag it and make it disappear for the next few decades, what are you going to do? It's not that I want a better copy than that guy, I'm just afraid that if I don't buy it I won't ever have as nice a copy again. Don't underestimate the collector's compulsion, which can trump all rational thinking.

I'm not saying those are the reasons for everyone tim. I can appreciate that you and others are exceptions. But they are major forces. Give me one other reason for participation in the registry. Give me, as Andrew said, a reason why ugly 9.6's sell for more than strong 9.4's.

And while we’re talking about labels, if the collector is motivated to find the best copies, why is he artificially creating them by pressing? Isn’t the thrill of the hunt, and the beauty of a high grade book the fact that 98% of the existing copies of any given SA book haven’t survived the last 40 years in decent shape, thereby making pristine copies a truly incredible thing? So why isn’t a 40 year old book that is pristine enough to garner a 9.4 not good enough? Why are hg collectors taking a pristine book and squeezing the life out of it in order to get a 9.6? Because they “love” the book? Give me a break.

Hoo boy, you're asking the wrong guy that particular question. I'm definitely one of those who feel that any high grade collectors who improve their books artificially is cheating, and it pretty much undermines the whole reason for collecting high grade. Like I've said before, if all they want is a brand new looking book, no matter how it gets that way, why bother with half measures like pressing and restoration, when they could just go all the way and just create a really nice glossy xerox cover and slap it onto a coverless copy? Obviously there are often more sinister or financially-driven motives at work.

There's definitely no doubt that some high grade collectors have lost sight of their reason for collecting. Whether it's competition, desire for adulation, or simple collecting compulson, it's no longer enough in their mind to have a super nice looking book, it must be a super nice looking book AND be confirmed by CGC as meeting a minimum grade, and they'll do whatever it takes to get the right confirmation from CGC.

(thumbs u

Yeah, show some of your own balls and support your purchase instead of allowing underlings to do it. :whistle:

Both the seller and the buyer have posted in the thread. :gossip:

Last time you made a comment like that, a flame war erupted :makepoint:

Both the seller and the buyer have posted in the thread. :gossip:

chumley.jpg

So it comes down to every GA collectors worst nightmare... SA kicks it's arse back into the oblivion.

The second age of the Super Hero comic books is having it's day ....mwah hahahar :insane::insane:

But seriously, after watching the last clink auction, i thought if someone had thrown a 9.8 FF#48 into that auction, it would of gone statospheric! SA in the uber grade section is so strong all of a sudden.

And the movie tie-in books ...excluding DD cough cough.. have kept the momentum going.

Come the Wolverine movie project... what exactly will happen to 181 in grade??

p.s...thats a Hulk book by the way :baiting:

So it comes down to every GA collectors worst nightmare... SA kicks it's arse back into the oblivion.

The second age of the Super Hero comic books is having it's day ....mwah hahahar :insane::insane:

But seriously, after watching the last clink auction, i thought if someone had thrown a 9.8 FF#48 into that auction, it would of gone statospheric! SA in the uber grade section is so strong all of a sudden.

And the movie tie-in books ...excluding DD cough cough.. have kept the momentum going.

Can't argue with you there. (about prices in the uber grade section continuing to rise)

PS

I sold a 181 a few years ago for a, then, record. It was a 9.6. It would be a bargain at that price now I guess. :(

Can't argue with you there. (about prices in the uber grade section continuing to rise)

PS

I sold a 181 a few years ago for a, then, record. It was a 9.6. It would be a bargain at that price now I guess. :(

Don't fret Bill. In a few years you will probably be able to buy it back for less than what you sold it for. :whistle: