• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TTA 59 9.6 sells for 10K

514 posts in this topic

Some recent SA sales- for comparision!!

Fantastic Four # 50 - $12,500- 10 copies in grade, with 3 above- Silver Surfer cross-over

Avengers # 57 - $7,600 - 13 copies in grade- First Vision Appearance

X-men #12 - $14,000 - 2 copies, with 1 above- professor X origin

TOS # 39 - $25,250 - 13 in grade with 18 copies above- First Iron man

for the first full feature Hulk appearance, outside of #1-6,.this seems inline, only X-men #12, has fewer copies in grade...all the rest have at least a dozen copies in grade or higer!!!

Just some food for thought!!

I would argue the first 3 books on the list are over priced also. Again, this is my personal taste, but for me, not worth that much. TOS 39, not really sure. If I had $25k to spend, definitely not where I would put it, but I would consider it longer than the 7.6k to 14k price tags for the others. Just not worth it to me given my taste.

The age old "I would take X over this book all day long." is pretty worn out. Well, of course, for every person that chose X over this book, there is another that would choose Y over your X so whats the point? Everyone has their grails and believe it or not, it may not be an Action 1 or AF15.

The age old "I would take X over this book all day long." is pretty worn out. Well, of course, for every person that chose X over this book, there is another that would choose Y over your X so whats the point? Everyone has their grails and believe it or not, it may not be an Action 1 or AF15.

This coming from a guy who collects Cerebus.

:baiting:

Once you sell your Shield avater you'll be a nobody.

lol

lol

That sales thread is closed! The Shield stays.

lol

That sales thread is closed! The Shield stays.

:cry:

Fantastic Four # 50 - $12,500- 10 copies in grade, with 3 above- Silver Surfer cross-over

What grade was the TOS #39?

As for the other three... :screwy: . It has nothing to do with personal taste; those prices are just out to lunch. Maybe I'm still living in 2004 when I was actively buying slabs, but those prices make no sense to me at all.

9.2's are the biggest bargains available, if these prices are going to be representative of the uber high grade market. Honestly, a couple of extra spine tics aren't worth $7,000 on my planet. Where's the sanity?

no offense but I think you miss the point entirely. There are NOT equal #s who would take Y or X, just because Y and X are priced the same.

I.e. I'm sure there are 99 people among the comic collector population at large, not just talking about the boards now, who take a low grade batman #1 over the highest of high grade tta59's. That sentiment is echoed here, except here it might be more 97 to 3 here than 99 to 1 :)

None taken but my point is simply that a comparison is not needed or relevant. A man won a book. I would have purchased something different for the money but I don't feel the need to tell him that.

That's just me though, sometimes I forget where I'm posting.

As for the other three... :screwy: . It has nothing to do with personal taste; those prices are just out to lunch. Maybe I'm still living in 2004 when I was actively buying slabs, but those prices make no sense to me at all.

9.2's are the biggest bargains available, if these prices are going to be representative of the uber high grade market. Honestly, a couple of extra spine tics aren't worth $7,000 on my planet. Where's the sanity?

I can't speak for the other books, Andrew, But I was the one responsible for the final price of the X-men #12. I was the underbidder on that one. I lost it by only $250. I really really wanted it. It's a big SA X-men key. The first appearance of one of my favorite villians. It was also in uber HG 9.6 grade and was from an "untouched" collection which was a huge added bonus. I wanted it bad but, it turned out, someone wanted it more. And I know a lot of other collectors feel the same about their books.

Honestly, a couple of extra spine tics aren't worth $7,000 on my planet. Where's the sanity?

That's really what it all boils down to. Paying twice as much (or more) for a few less 1/16" spine breaks. Psych PhD students could write disserations on this stuff.

I.e. I'm sure there are 99 people among the comic collector population at large, not just talking about the boards now, who take a low grade batman #1 over the highest of high grade tta59's. That sentiment is echoed here, except here it might be more 97 to 3 here than 99 to 1 :)

First rule of betting and investing is that the general population is generally wrong. When 9.4 AF 15s were selling for $125-150K, how many would have been willing to pay that price? Probably the same 97-3 ratio. In fact, I seem to remember Mark Wilson having a copy and it sat for a while because no one would meet his asking price, which I believe was in that range. Now, after multiple sales above $200K, and lower grade copies getting up to 6 figures, it looks like those purchases weren't so crazy.

The history of comic collecting is littered with "high water mark" purchases that were ridiculed for being too high, which in retrospect ended up looking pretty good.

Maybe I'm still living in 2004 when I was actively buying slabs, but those prices make no sense to me at all.

Be careful, Andrew, you're falling into what I call the classic "Angry Old Man Trap" that is the pitfall of many collectors and investors (not just in comics). These people eternally benchmark against a price that they were willing to pay during their salad days, and cannot accept that prices have moved on and cannot make the adjustment.

We see it over and over in the comic market. There's a reason why many big old time collectors haven't made any purchases in years, because they're psychologically benchmarked to what they paid in 1972/1982/1992, and just can't compel themselves to pay more even though all objective evidence indicates that the market has moved up to a higher level. I've also seen it in stock market investors, such as one guy who refused to buy Microsoft because he bought it near the IPO and sold it for 100% profit, and has been waiting for it to come back down ever since. I walked him how the price should have gone up because earnings have gone up, etc. etc., but it was like talking to a brick wall. He sold it for X and by god he wouldn't ever pay more than X for it, even though he left countless dollars on the table because of his psychological barrier.

I can't speak for the other books, Andrew, But I was the one responsible for the final price of the X-men #12. I was the underbidder on that one. I lost it by only $250. I really really wanted it. It's a big SA X-men key. The first appearance of one of my favorite villians. It was also in uber HG 9.6 grade and was from an "untouched" collection which was a huge added bonus. I wanted it bad but, it turned out, someone wanted it more. And I know a lot of other collectors feel the same about their books.

Casey, my 7K comment was directed mostly at that Avengers #57, which is the one that really shocks me.

Despite appearances, I'm not trying to criticize or insult anyone; it's just that the rapid acceleration of prices in the last year, combined with the current economic climate, doesn't sit right with me. I'm shocked, dismayed, and fascinated at the same time, which is why I'm involved in this discussion. I know there are smart buyers out there who can probably afford to pay these prices (like yourself) and who have probably gotten enough deals in the past that overspending on a few books is justifiable, but I just couldn't do it myself to this degree, regardless of my finances. I'm not wired that way.

Casey, my 7K comment was directed mostly at that Avengers #57, which is the one that really shocks me.

Despite appearances, I'm not trying to criticize or insult anyone; it's just that the rapid acceleration of prices in the last year, combined with the current economic climate, doesn't sit right with me. I'm shocked, dismayed, and fascinated at the same time, which is why I'm involved in this discussion. I know there are smart buyers out there who can probably afford to pay these prices (like yourself) and who have probably gotten enough deals in the past that overspending on a few books is justifiable, but I just couldn't do it myself to this degree, regardless of my finances. I'm not wired that way.

(thumbs u

Be careful, Andrew, you're falling into what I call the classic "Angry Old Man Trap" that is the pitfall of many collectors and investors (not just in comics). These people eternally benchmark against a price that they were willing to pay during their salad days, and cannot accept that prices have moved on and cannot make the adjustment.

I'd like to think I'm pretty self-aware, so I have no problem admitting that there might be some truth to this. But regardless of prices, I made the decision to stop collecting a couple of years ago for various reasons and I wouldn't be buying even if they were dirt cheap, so there's more to it than just frustration or "sour grapes".

I've also seen it in stock market investors, such as one guy who refused to buy Microsoft because he bought it near the IPO and sold it for 100% profit, and has been waiting for it to come back down ever since. I walked him how the price should have gone up because earnings have gone up, etc. etc., but it was like talking to a brick wall. He sold it for X and by god he wouldn't ever pay more than X for it, even though he left countless dollars on the table because of his psychological barrier.

I understand the point you're trying to make, but I don't see a clear correlation. We aren't talking about a "get in or get out" situation. There's no 'lower grade' Microsoft stock options, and you don't need to buy 9.6's and 9.8's to form a high grade run of a particular title. What I'm saying is, the price differences and what you're getting for the extra coin just doesn't seem practical to me, especially since the CGC holder/label is not a permanent thing, even if you keep the book sealed. Who's to say grading standards won't change 10 years from now, and the 9.6 you have on a label now will still be a 9.6 10 years from now? I don't see the overall value, nor do I see how some of these values will hold long term. I really don't think my age group will be able or willing to absorb all of these books when their current custodians move on. I said that earlier and I stick by that. And I realize that may not be an immediate concern to collectors, but it is something to consider.

Or maybe it's because, despite the fact that I'm doing well for myself now, I come from a lower-middle class background where paying 7K instead of $500 for the same comic with 2 less spine stresses would be considered ludicrous and obscene. I had to overcome a lot of "programming" in order to start buying $200-2K books in the first place, despite the fact that I could afford them. I realize, having been in business and having been exposed to a tiny sliver of "the good life", that most things do not have any inherent value outside of the artificial premiums we impose, but it's hard to fight that programming.

So there are a lot of reasons why these prices don't jive for me. And I don't see that changing, so maybe this part of the hobby has passed me by.

Honestly, a couple of extra spine tics aren't worth $7,000 on my planet. Where's the sanity?

That's really what it all boils down to. Paying twice as much (or more) for a few less 1/16" spine breaks. Psych PhD students could write disserations on this stuff.

As opposed to paying anything more than bulk paper rates for ANY old comic? I mean, we're all pretty loony, so now you're just getting into degrees of lunacy.

By the way, next time I buy a book from you, I'll expect huge breaks in price and grading. After all, why should I pay more for a few less 1/16" spine breaks? :baiting:

As opposed to paying anything more than bulk paper rates for ANY old comic? I mean, we're all pretty loony, so now you're just getting into degrees of lunacy.

By the way, next time I buy a book from you, I'll expect huge breaks in price and grading. After all, why should I pay more for a few less 1/16" spine breaks? :baiting:

Twice as much is one thing, but 20X on a book like FF #72 is lunacy. We can talk about relative insanity all day, but it doesn't explain it. Where's the limit? At some point, even in an insane asylum, a patient will do something that even a guy who dines on his own fecal matter will shake his head at.

First rule of betting and investing is that the general population is generally wrong. When 9.4 AF 15s were selling for $125-150K, how many would have been willing to pay that price? Probably the same 97-3 ratio. In fact, I seem to remember Mark Wilson having a copy and it sat for a while because no one would meet his asking price, which I believe was in that range. Now, after multiple sales above $200K, and lower grade copies getting up to 6 figures, it looks like those purchases weren't so crazy.

The history of comic collecting is littered with "high water mark" purchases that were ridiculed for being too high, which in retrospect ended up looking pretty good.

stop taking what I say out of context, dagnabbit :) No where did I say the 3 people were wrong and the 97 people were right. In fact I told aman that based on history, the tta59 would probably increase at a faster rate than the batman 1, crazy though it seems to me.

Now you want to talk about old man's trap, now THAT'S me. I remember these books being jack squat and they are benchmarked that way in my value system, dagnabbit!! :acclaim:

Twice as much is one thing, but 20X on a book like FF #72 is lunacy. We can talk about relative insanity all day, but it doesn't explain it. Where's the limit? At some point, even in an insane asylum, a patient will do something that even a guy who dines on his own fecal matter will shake his head at.

exactly. which whether you want to admit it or not tim :baiting: is why it all comes down to ego (present company excluded).

Just to play devil's advocate. Its been a known "fact" among the general collection population for probably 20 years now, or more, that high grade books appreciate faster than low grade. Its been taken as a law of nature, pretty much. Think of when you first heard the term "investment grade" - it was a long time ago now. That belief amongst most collectors that high grade books go up faster has led to people buying high grade and, surprise surprise, a self-fulfilling prophecy.

If the general collector population is always, or almost always, wrong - as you suggest - then we should all be scooping all up the fairs and poors we can :)