• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NM+ question

20 posts in this topic

I don't understand something about CGC 9.6s. I've been looking at some recent board sales for 9.6 slabs and noticed spine creases in more than a few.. some that even appeared to break color. Is this normal?

Here's an example from ebay that has two obvious spine creases under the bottom staple:

Goon1AvatarCGC96.jpg

I don't have the grading guide with me, but I thought NM+ allowed only the most minor of defects (words like barely perceptible come to mind), and I thought spine creases like the ones on this book did not fall in that category.

I don't have the grading guide with me, but I thought NM+ allowed only the most minor of defects (words like barely perceptible come to mind), and I thought spine creases like the ones on this book did not fall in that category.

Exactly why I am confused.. A ugly spine crease like the one in orig post or a 1/4" color-breaking crease doesn't sound 'minor' to me.. and it's certainly not something I want to see on a book when I'm paying 9.6 prices.

From OS 2008:

9.6 NEAR MINT+ (NM+): Nearly perfect with a minor additional virtue or virtues that raise it from Near Mint. The overall look is "as if it was just purchased and read once or twice." Only subtle bindery or printing defects are allowed. No bindery tears are allowed, although on Golden Age books bindery tears of up to 1/8" have been noted. Cover is flat with no surface wear. Inks are bright with high reflectivity. Well centered and firmly secured to interior pages. One corner may be almost imperceptibly blunted, but still almost sharp and cut square. Almost imperceptible indentations are permissible, but no creases, bends, or color break. Small, inconspicuous, lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable as long as they are in an unobtrusive location. No soiling, staining or other discoloration. Spine is tight and flat. No spine roll or split allowed. Staples must be original, generally centered, with only the slightest discoloration. No staple tears, stress lines, or rust migration. Paper is off-white, supple and fresh. No hint of acidity in the odor of the newsprint. Centerfold is firmly secure. Only the slightest interior tears are allowed.

It clearly says "no creases, bends, or color break." I guess CGC grading is not the same as Overstreet grading at the high end of the spectrum. :shrug:

yup, wouldn't even begin to occur to me to call that any better than a 9.2...although i have had worse slabbed modern 9.4s

perhaps they created the spine ticks when they slabbed the book?

Anyone know the seller?

Welcome to BLMOdirect. Where you'll find premium, hard-to-find Modern-Age comic books. Our main focus is building Buyer Confidence and Customer Satisfaction. We are Power Sellers, so bid with confidence. To locate our auctions, simply use eBay's 'Search title and description' feature to find "blmodirect"

All comic books are handled with "white-glove" treatment and shipped bagged and boarded (for durability) using ample amounts of pillowy-soft cushioning material.

I personally grade each non-CGC graded comic book using philosophies by three separate grading authorities. It's not uncommon for me to submit a comic that I personally graded as NM (9.4) to CGC and have it come back as NM+ (9.6) or NM/M (9.8). However, grading is (and always will be) subjective, so I encourage you to view the comic's picture in the auction and grade it yourself before you bid or purchase them. I'm confident you'll find my grading both fair and accurate.

We offer an Unconditional Money-Back Guarantee (less S&H) on all products we sell. See our Policy below.

Scroll towards the bottom of this page to view your favorite comics. Happy hunting!

Best Regards,

Anyone know the seller?

Welcome to BLMOdirect. Where you'll find premium, hard-to-find Modern-Age comic books. Our main focus is building Buyer Confidence and Customer Satisfaction. We are Power Sellers, so bid with confidence. To locate our auctions, simply use eBay's 'Search title and description' feature to find "blmodirect"

All comic books are handled with "white-glove" treatment and shipped bagged and boarded (for durability) using ample amounts of pillowy-soft cushioning material.

I personally grade each non-CGC graded comic book using philosophies by three separate grading authorities. It's not uncommon for me to submit a comic that I personally graded as NM (9.4) to CGC and have it come back as NM+ (9.6) or NM/M (9.8). However, grading is (and always will be) subjective, so I encourage you to view the comic's picture in the auction and grade it yourself before you bid or purchase them. I'm confident you'll find my grading both fair and accurate.

We offer an Unconditional Money-Back Guarantee (less S&H) on all products we sell. See our Policy below.

Scroll towards the bottom of this page to view your favorite comics. Happy hunting!

Best Regards,

Yes.

I agree, but we just saw in the grading contest how lax CGC is with this issue. hm

Does it have thick cover stock (shrug) might be a reason why. Same is true of the Platinum Spidey #1

That's along the lines of what I was thinking . . . Nik? Andy? Anyone? :)

Anyone know the seller?

Best Regards,

Yes.

My, that's illuminating . . . :grin:

My impression is that there are some books that have more of a sliding scale than other books get. One of the Sandman platinum books is this way. You will see a book in a 9.4 or 9.6 slab that makes you say Hmmm. I would now say that the Avatar Goon 1 is proabably another book that gets the sliding scale. I have owned 3 Avatar Goon 1s; they all were wrecked on the spine. My CGC SS 9.4 copy has a serious non color breaking dent in the BRC. I should have pressed the sumperson_without_enough_empathy.

I have no empirical evidence of this theory, but I have looked at 7 or eight of the platinum books and now with the Nik copy and barrington's copy 5 Goon 1s. Logic would seem to dictate that consistently divergent grades for books means they are getting some kind of separate treatment. One wonders what separates these two books from a book like Watchmen 1 that was also consistently wrecked on the spine? hm

Anyone know the seller?

Best Regards,

Yes.

My, that's illuminating . . . :grin:

Yes.

Barrington O'Levy, yep I know him on Ebay. Reputable seller. He carries alot of the same material as I do. His raw examples are fairly graded and he does realize some nice prices for his books. Although his BINS tend to be on the high side as compared to other similiar copies available, he knows the market well and has been known to price aggressively. I have purchased from him and sold to him and would do so again without question.

Like the copy that was in the grading contest, I don't think those are colour breaking creases we're looking at. I think they're minor bends, and the scanner is really exaggerating them, making them look deeper than they are. And I think we're seeing light reflecting off the gloss cover along the bend line, which looks like a colour break but isn't.

I think, in hand, those defects would be far less noticeable than in the scan.

IMHO...

According to the overstreet grading guide nm+ can have 2 to 3 defects.

So if that is all that is wrong with that bbok then it would fall in that range.

CGC doesn't use the Overstreet guide. They have their own standards. Unfortunately, no one knows what the standards are because they don't publish them.