• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WOW, puts things in perspective

37 posts in this topic

And who 40 years ago would have thought that in only about 30 years we would all be walking around with star trek communicator type devices in all our pockets (cell phones and yes the flip phone was dreamt up because of that prototype). Science may take us there one day.

Larry: That means that our whole solar system could be, like one tiny atom in the fingernail of some other giant being. This is to much! That means one tiny atom in my fingernail could be--

Jennings; Could be one little tiny universe.

Larry: Could I buy some pot from you?

Scientist claim that in your own living room, there are dinosaurs, space aliens, talking lions, or whatever you can dream up. They are there right now doing what ever they do, but that we just can not see them.

So Brande Roderick is in my house somewhere, along with heidi Klum?

Yep. And guess who Heidi is "doing".

Yep. Mwa.............! On your sofa :headbang::banana:

Larry: That means that our whole solar system could be, like one tiny atom in the fingernail of some other giant being. This is to much! That means one tiny atom in my fingernail could be--

Jennings; Could be one little tiny universe.

Larry: Could I buy some pot from you?

Except for the last reference, someone may have been watching Horton Hears a Who! :D

these questions will forever be beyond us.(agnostics rule)

or

we find out the answers and become godlike ourselves. (Disclaimer: not intended to be blasphemous or disrespecting to any religion).

Word of warning on that film, it starts with a bit of quantum physics but goes off at very strange tangents, drawing completely bizarre and plainly false deductions from misquoted and misunderstood scientific theory. Don't take my word for it, wiki it :foryou:

Wiki = The bastion of 100% correct information.

:baiting:

OK, forget wiki, just take my word for it! lol

Seriously, "What The Bleep Do We Know" is a lot of pseudo-scientific spiritualist rubbish with the slightest dash of science to lure people in.

On an even grander scale, taking into account that the known universe does not end ever (as some suggest here).

Mishio Kaku states that at the rate technology advances (and it is accelerating), eventually whatever you can imagine will come to pass in our universe. He states that it is impossible for anything to vanish. Everything just changes form. He says that even ones memories can not vanish, but are "out there" in some form.

Having said all of that. He says that because of technology advancing and nothing ever simply vanishes, someday we will be able to tap the memories of those that have passed and we will also be able to use something like a cell phone to call up our passed ancestors and hear their memories and probably even converse with them. He says that with the passage of enough time, any and all things will be possible and probable.

His assumption is that technology continues to advance and given enough time, all things will eventually become reality, because of this constant advancement. It may take a million or three million years though.

Sounds like the 'Omega Point'. I disagree with that 'theory' because it rests on several wild assumptions. For example, the assumption that technology can achieve anything if it is sufficiently advanced. What about hard limits set by the laws of physics? Even if what we presently believe to be the limits can in fact be broken, it is reasonable to suppose that there may nevertheless be some ultimate limits!

For example, the processing power of a theoretical ultimate computer would be limited by the speed of light and the density of its switches. Even if transistors could be constructed on the subatomic scale, that is still a hard limit.

For this reason, it is likely that the computing power necessary to retrieve your ancestor's memories (for example) by reverse engineering the state of the universe (or rather the state of the light cone emanating from the moment your ancestor had those memories) is impossible to achieve.

More to the point, how would this ultimate computer gather the data? It's sensory apparatus would have to travel faster than light in order to gather the necessary data before it became out of date. So, without FTL, the whole game is off :sumo:

Look, just don't get me started alright? I can ramble like this for hours and no-one actually listens anyway :blahblah:

Sounds like a lot of people found a secret stash of really good pot.

So they are there however there have never been any proof of it. No one has found a way to enter them and to our knowledge nothing has ever entered out universe from another universe via a worm hole.

I think it is an interesting topic and probably fun to discuss, however I don't belive in it one bit.

I follow Quantum physics a bit, (read Hawkings, read the dummies versions of Einstein, know a tiny bit of the lingo, watch every special that Discovery, Nova, or History does), and I have to say I'm cautiously optimistic about its future.

Two thoughts, in no way does QM denounce or threaten religion, at least not Judeo Christian faith, and secondly, I find many, not all, of the theories wildly fantastic and highly improbable, but I'm no high level mathematician and rarely see the math explained, so obviously my opinion there is uninformed.