• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ho Ho Ho, bring on the Christmas covers
2 2

861 posts in this topic

This may be my favorite. Inside this Christmas stocking, there is a copy of St. John's 3-D HOUSE OF TERROR! Merry Christmas, kid - enjoy this pre-code horror comic!

A lot of neat stuff, particularly this last one with the House of Terror comic! lol

A recent arrival from the Board's own GACollectibles. Have to say that Barks really drew rings around Kelly on the WDC&S covers. Not only is Barks's art better but his gags are much better. Kelly's gags still reflect the relationship between Donald and his nephews in the theatrical cartoons, where mayhem was the order of the day. Barks's covers, naturally, reflect the more appealing relationship that developed in his stories.

13957_zpsc45620cf.jpg

A recent arrival from the Board's own GACollectibles. Have to say that Barks really drew rings around Kelly on the WDC&S covers. Not only is Barks's art better but his gags are much better. Kelly's gags still reflect the relationship between Donald and his nephews in the theatrical cartoons, where mayhem was the order of the day. Barks's covers, naturally, reflect the more appealing relationship that developed in his stories.

13957_zpsc45620cf.jpg

This doesn't look like Kelly or Barks to me... hm

13957_zpsc45620cf.jpg

I assumed that it was Kelly. Seems like him to me and one of the nephews setting fire to Donald's beard seems like a Kelly gag.

13957_zpsc45620cf.jpg

I assumed that it was Kelly. Seems like him to me and one of the nephews setting fire to Donald's beard seems like a Kelly gag.

A quick check of the GCD site confirms the cover for WDCS #64 was done by Walt Kelly.

Still a neat cover IMHO. (thumbs u

http://www.comics.org/issue/4846/

Edited by frozentundraguy

When I see this cover it reminds of these Christmases of the mid 50's to mid 60's up at my grandparents. Their tree was decorated with tinsel, lights, and the old fashion glass ornaments. Does anyone remember when those were replaced with plastic ones?

ROYR_73.jpg

They haven't been replaced at our house. The ornaments will shatter if they fall off of the tree onto the hardwood floor. Tinsel is still on the tree but the lights have changed. I still miss the old bubble lights.

8301457866_0600cef8d4_c.jpg

and would like a set of Disney lights for the tree too.

8301460816_025f552a88_z.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

When I see this cover it reminds of these Christmases of the mid 50's to mid 60's up at my grandparents. Their tree was decorated with tinsel, lights, and the old fashion glass ornaments. Does anyone remember when those were replaced with plastic ones?

ROYR_73.jpg

They haven't been replaced at our house. The ornaments will shatter if they fall off of the tree onto the hardwood floor. Tinsel is still on the tree but the lights have changed. I still miss the old bubble lights.

8301457866_0600cef8d4_c.jpg

and would like a set of Disney lights for the tree too.

8301460816_025f552a88_z.jpg

Wow, I had almost forgotten about bubbling light ornaments. :cloud9: I know I have not seen the Disney set of lights before. Does that light set date from the 30's or early 40's?

Edited by frozentundraguy

This isn't a particularly attractive Christmas giveaway, but it does have one of the weirdest clowns you will ever see - ZIMBO! His nose is a balloon, but the string hanging from it makes it look like it is constantly running.

Figured this thread could use a bump this time of year...

143638.jpg.910616aa92ea27609dacd8ebdc2d2f7d.jpg

143639.jpg.66c226e8e3d2d056890da2bbc504b805.jpg