• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ho Ho Ho, bring on the Christmas covers
2 2

861 posts in this topic

This is a little smaller than a regular sized comic book. It is like a deluxe Christmas card in a comic book format. It has 18 pages with a card stock cover. Bound by a green cord. This was produced in 1959 and distributed by Ogle's Fine Restaurant of Dexter City, Ohio. This may have been a stock item from a card company that was imprinted for Ogle's.

This is a folksy, nostalgic, bittersweet look back at small town America. Only in comic book form could such a great evocative story turn back time this way. This is a great example of why comics are such a unique collectible - their rich content.

The only copy of this that I've ever seen, so scans of all pages are presented here and in the next post for your enjoyment. A postcard for Ogle's is shown below the back cover.

Have a very Merry Christmas!

Thanks for posting, very entertaining.

I just got a beat up copy of this Christmas story by Barks. I've read it before when it was reprinted in the sixties

but I had forgotten that the witch from DD 26 was used in the story. It was a Strange Christmas-Halloween crossover. Fun to read tho.

bb

6507854313_86ee277441_b.jpg

The Chistmas issue is on the left and Halloween is on the right :shy:bb

BB, my recollection is the Witch was the witch from Show White, not Trick or Treat. But I haven't read this issue in awhile. I have ordered the reprint from Amazon for the holiday season. I will post my copy momentarily as this book has been on my mind with the holiday season.

Anyway you slice it one of the more memorable duck tales.

I just read it again and you are right, duh, of course FC 203 predates Donald Duck 26. The story mentions Snow White as well. I guess the witches reminded me of each other, perhaps the nose or the wart....

I just got a beat up copy of this Christmas story by Barks. I've read it before when it was reprinted in the sixties

but I had forgotten that the witch from DD 26 was used in the story. It was a Strange Christmas-Halloween crossover. Fun to read tho.

bb

6507854313_86ee277441_b.jpg

The Chistmas issue is on the left and Halloween is on the right :shy:bb

BB, my recollection is the Witch was the witch from Show White, not Trick or Treat. But I haven't read this issue in awhile. I have ordered the reprint from Amazon for the holiday season. I will post my copy momentarily as this book has been on my mind with the holiday season.

Anyway you slice it one of the more memorable duck tales.

I just read it again and you are right, duh, of course FC 203 predates Donald Duck 26. The story mentions Snow White as well. I guess the witches reminded me of each other, perhaps the nose or the wart....

Thanks for posting, glad to know that my meaningless 35 year old memories are still intact. Also, since the Witch is supposedly killed at the end of the Snow White movie, we can see that Barks was a man ahead of his time. Think of all the adventures where characters are revived or die but then come back to life in a sequel. You can't keep a good (bad) witch down!

Here's a comparison with the Fantagraphics reprint. One of the things that the Golden Age geek in me likes best about the latter is that the color scheme is kept very close to the original. Reading the stories has the familiar feel of the originals. "Race to the South Seas" is particularly striking since the production quality of the original was worse than that of the regular comics.

The European Barks reprints that were published between 2005 and 2008 or so had an entirely new digital coloring that created a lot of debate. I don't have any firm opinion about which would be better if I were to read the stories for the first time, but as a GA collector who already has the 30 European volumes, I love the different feel of the Fantagraphics book.

Another novelty about it is that the usual background material by Geoff Bloom, which is great but somewhat rehashed at this point, is replaced by "story notes" by regular Barks fans and collectors that I've come across in online Disney forums. It gives the book a bit more of a grassroots feel. I think it is cool that Fantagraphics is making an effort to reinvent the material.

119102.jpg.1083f307396a67344cb8e6ae87bfdc36.jpg

Thanks for showing the comparison. I will probably get only a few volumes of the Fantagraphic series since I have a complete set of the CBL Albums. There are so many interesting reprint and creator bios out these days that I have to be careful of double-dipping.

I'm with you tb, after reading Barks' FCs, the b&w and modern colored Barks' Library editions just didn't cut it. In contrast, Fantragraphics coloring (and paper) really does give the feel of reading the original comics! The Barks "Lost in the Andes" book is undoubtably the best collection of classic comic book material in a long long long time. It will rack up some Eisner awards. And with an initial price point at less than half the cost of Archives and Masterworks ($24.99), yielding Amazon prices as low as $12.49, this is the book that will garner Barks new heights in popularity because it not only getting great reviews, but is affordable for the casual buyer.

Agreed: overall the balance of material, production quality, and price seems very smart for the broad American market. The European version was aimed at a completely different audience.

One thing that took me back a little was Donald Ault's rather frank piece about the Barks lawsuit. It was very well written and my own impression is that his version most likely is pretty accurate, but there was sure nothing diplomatic about putting this material in volume 1. In the European edition, this topic was kind of hushed away somewhere in volume 22 with a more neutral text. But, again, I like that Fantagraphics appears to be replacing bland editorials with more passionate and personal perspectives from friends and fans of Barks.

Edited by tb

2129887258_cfab65d4c5_z.jpg

This is still one of my favorites.

Kelly did this cover as well as the Santa Claus covers and some of the four color Christmas covers, e.g. FC 178, were by Dan Gormley.

I think many of the Fairy Tales covers were by someone other than Kelly.

2129887258_cfab65d4c5_z.jpg

This is still one of my favorites.

Kelly did this cover as well as the Santa Claus covers and some of the four color Christmas covers, e.g. FC 178, were by Dan Gormley.

I think many of the Fairy Tales covers were by someone other than Kelly.

6507830061_18605f91db_z.jpg