• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tomorrow's Treasures

207 posts in this topic

I like richie munchin just fine... does a lot of self resto to his books (usually discloses, though I have heard not always, intentional or not, I can't say) and has given me a couple of killer deals at conventions (never via ebay, but "live" in person)...he is kind of anti slabbing books (not to the greg white extent, but close), and I have had a great time talking with him at cons... he is an interesting fellow, to say the least

This has pretty much been my experience as well. I've gotten some great books out of the piles on his table and at great prices, too. I've never done any mail order, though...

Me three. Richie is an acquired taste, but once you get to know him, he's a really good guy. EXCEPTIONALLY knowledgeable about the hobby, and can source anything.

There are a lot of dealers with this quality, Dan, and many collectors won't take the time to warm up to them. It costs them a lot of dough.

I like richie munchin just fine... does a lot of self resto to his books (usually discloses, though I have heard not always, intentional or not, I can't say) and has given me a couple of killer deals at conventions (never via ebay, but "live" in person)...he is kind of anti slabbing books (not to the greg white extent, but close), and I have had a great time talking with him at cons... he is an interesting fellow, to say the least

This has pretty much been my experience as well. I've gotten some great books out of the piles on his table and at great prices, too. I've never done any mail order, though...

Me three. Richie is an acquired taste, but once you get to know him, he's a really good guy. EXCEPTIONALLY knowledgeable about the hobby, and can source anything.

There are a lot of dealers with this quality, Dan, and many collectors won't take the time to warm up to them. It costs them a lot of dough.

Man, I've tried. I'm no extrovert, but I've never even been able to make eye contact enough to ask a question.

Man, I've tried. I'm no extrovert, but I've never even been able to make eye contact enough to ask a question.

Not everyone is as charming as Gary :hi:

He (Moondog) makes you feel welcome, I looked for his booth from the first con I went to, and each time after.

It's not the best way to sell things, I'm sure, but if you want a history lesson as a buyer, it's worth working.

He remembered from last year, which centerfolds I was looking for.

Well I bought a few books from him as well. He is good in response and sends the book out pretty quick. He would take it back if you make a fuss about it. So in this way he is fine. As for pricing, he is a little too high. For example he had a Detective (raw) 44 listed at Vg. He was asking like $500 for it. I ended up buying a much better (6.0 to be exact) 44 from another well known local dealer for only $400! Does anyone think I would have got a better deal ? And I am sorry but he has to come with the times, GLUE IS restoration in most eyes.

Now, even though I've bought from Richard online and over the phone, I've never talked to him in person. I don't have time for his lack of approachability. I've seen him at numerous Mid-Ohio Con but never could take the effort to engage him. As Gary states, he lost some sales that way ...

Not everyone is as charming as Gary :hi:

He (Moondog) makes you feel welcome, I looked for his booth from the first con I went to, and each time after.

It's not the best way to sell things, I'm sure, but if you want a history lesson as a buyer, it's worth working.

He remembered from last year, which centerfolds I was looking for.

Aw shucks. It's been a while since someone said I'm charming, Sharon. :blush:

Let me return the compliment. At the show last summer no one was sweeter than you!

Is this a comic book forum? Not often we can refer to each other as charming or sweet. lol

Once I got to know him (and he got to know me!), I now get along just fine with Richie - which may surprise some of you, considering how harsh I am on some dealers (unfortunately, I have come to know them all TOO well).

It took some effort and some negotiation, but I have obtained a handful of fabulous books from him at various West Coast shows.

Once through the mail however, I bought a book that had a portion of a panel cut out of one story, so I sent it back. Richie was very apologetic, and he issued me an immediate refund (including postage).

If he has a book I want, I wouldn't hesitate to check it out... (thumbs u

I've got to agree with Steve, if I see Richie at a convention early i will actually try to avoid him until I finish looking around the floor - not because I don't like him, but as I know any conversation with him will last at least an hour and cover a myriad of topics - all of which he has a strong opinion about.

I've certainly never seen him at a loss for words and think he's a pretty good guy.

Rich knows his comics and I got him very excited last year at San Diego when I pointed out some subtle differences on the logos used on some early Supermans he had in the back. I also got him going on about Lulu's one time and his experience with them with his kids.

He is an old time dealer who tosses books around like stones because he has been around them a long time and they are not sacred to him. His inventory is always pretty amazing and there are some deals to be had if you are patient.

I personally like Rich. He is a funny guy, both funny haha, and funny eccentric. He also is extremely knowledgable about books and if you talk to him for a while, he will tell you so.

Really you have to consider how long he has been in the business, the fact that he is a true new yorker(and acts as such), and I don't think he wants to deal with a bunch of questions. I think he is looking for just a few guys to come up and spend money with him and let him read his comics.

One of the coolest things I have ever seen at a show was Rich sitting with his little boy in his lap at Pittsburgh Comicon reading a GA Superman comic the way people used to read books,opened all the way up at the spine with the front cover touching the back cover, flipping pages like a newspaper.

One of the coolest things I have ever seen at a show was Rich sitting with his little boy in his lap at Pittsburgh Comicon reading a GA Superman comic the way people used to read books,opened all the way up at the spine with the front cover touching the back cover, flipping pages like a newspaper.

...and then the kid folded the book in half, stuck it in his back pocket and went off to shoot marbles with his friends.

...and then the kid folded the book in half, stuck it in his back pocket and went off to shoot marbles with his friends.

Uggggh :eek:

Ritchie back on the boards? What did he do now?

Ritchie is what makes this hobby interesting. I've bought from him before and when the time comes I'll do so again. At the WonderCon a couple years ago I bought two books from him and it took an hour to do so due to us gabbing away about restoration techniques. Good guy. Just don't block his tables if you're in line for signatures. He doesn't like that.

the man is very short tempered and has no patience.he even called me a insufficiently_thoughtful_person even though i promised to apologize.he overcharged me on a book 3x times its worth.so DONT BUY FROM RICHARD MUCHIN.

Nice 3rd post. The dealer's to blame because you overpaid for a book?