• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tomorrow's Treasures

207 posts in this topic

He loves comics and hates people... some might define that as a mental disorder. Though I guess it can be frustrating dealing with people... they do have a tendency to talk back... comics are more apt to just sit there and you can do with them as you please...

Not sure why anyone would waste time dealing with this guy with all the availability of comics these days from far cheerier and more grown-up personalities.

That's an easy one to answer - unlike so many of the more "cheerier" entities in the hobby, Richie M. has never cheated me. Not once.

Yes, he can be very talkative and short-tempered at times, but he loves comics and he's honest. I'll take that any day over the Greed Merchants who smile at you one minute, then stab you in the back on the deal the next.

I like richie munchin just fine... does a lot of self resto to his books (usually discloses, though I have heard not always, intentional or not, I can't say) and has given me a couple of killer deals at conventions (never via ebay, but "live" in person)...he is kind of anti slabbing books (not to the greg white extent, but close), and I have had a great time talking with him at cons... he is an interesting fellow, to say the least

This has pretty much been my experience as well. I've gotten some great books out of the piles on his table and at great prices, too. I've never done any mail order, though...

Me three. Richie is an acquired taste, but once you get to know him, he's a really good guy. EXCEPTIONALLY knowledgeable about the hobby, and can source anything.

Yesterday during set up in Chicago as dealers were looking at my stuff, Richie came across a decent copy of Action 123 in one of my boxes. He spent the next 10 minutes explaining why the book was scarce, it's importance in the hobby (Supes flies for the first time), and why it's so undervalued. It was fascinating for the 5 or 6 of us there.

They guy REALLY knows his stuff.

Richie M. had some of the recently auctioned Eldon books at his booth at SDCC this year, and they were a sight to behold: Detective 40, Supes 5 and 11, etc.

I love that Detective #40, and it did sell.

Not sure why anyone would waste time dealing with this guy with all the availability of comics these days from far cheerier and more grown-up personalities.

That's an easy one to answer - unlike so many of the more "cheerier" entities in the hobby, Richie M. has never cheated me. Not once.

Yes, he can be very talkative and short-tempered at times, but he loves comics and he's honest. I'll take that any day over the Greed Merchants who smile at you one minute, then stab you in the back on the deal the next.

Richie has spent more money with me over the past 30 years than any other dealer on the planet. His checks never bounce and I always look forward to seeing him each year in Chicago. This year is no exception!

Whenever I click on a cool GA book link on ebay and it turns up tomorrow's treasures, I don't even continue reading.

Restoration is restoration is restoration and I'm not confident that anything I'd be buying from him wasn't manipulated.

On a different note, he does have some nice mid grade GA book classic covers that I'd love to buy from another seller.

I like richie munchin just fine... does a lot of self resto to his books (usually discloses, though I have heard not always, intentional or not, I can't say) and has given me a couple of killer deals at conventions (never via ebay, but "live" in person)...he is kind of anti slabbing books (not to the greg white extent, but close), and I have had a great time talking with him at cons... he is an interesting fellow, to say the least

This has pretty much been my experience as well. I've gotten some great books out of the piles on his table and at great prices, too. I've never done any mail order, though...

Me three. Richie is an acquired taste, but once you get to know him, he's a really good guy. EXCEPTIONALLY knowledgeable about the hobby, and can source anything.

Yesterday during set up in Chicago as dealers were looking at my stuff, Richie came across a decent copy of Action 123 in one of my boxes. He spent the next 10 minutes explaining why the book was scarce, it's importance in the hobby (Supes flies for the first time), and why it's so undervalued. It was fascinating for the 5 or 6 of us there.

They guy REALLY knows his stuff.

Do you still have it? If it's fine or better, I would be interested in it. (thumbs u

Richie's cheated me.

meh

Richie was friendly at SDCC July/10 but would not answer any basic questions about price quotes on his key comics (e.g. AF 15) at Seattle Emerald comicon, as he was too busy trying to complete the NY crossword puzzle. His display did not have prices and no business card with his follow up email address. He grunted at me, so I went bye-bye. :gossip:

Those smiley cheating folks you mention are also on my "Walk Right Past" list... as are the folks that continually overprice their comics and refuse to negotiate reasonably. And even with omitting all those categories of dealers, I still find plenty of people I can deal with fairly and happily to satisfy all my collecting needs... simply no need to waste time with Mr. Munchen's intricacies...

Well he has a lot of books. Sometimes you can get a deal with him. But there are some books that are ridiculously priced like that 19k detective 40 (raw), or even some lower grade books like a detective 44 in VG which he wanted $500 for. No way! - ended up buying a 6.0 copy from a local dealer for $420 exactly! Blue label too! Much better grade (slabbed!) And for less!

I think everything that can be said about Richie has. Dealers seem to be able to deal with him and tolerate him far better than many regular customers.

This year in Philly two dealers made a killing on books Richie had sitting at his booth the entire weekend. He cut them great deals and I think they turned out to be home runs for both guys.

I saw the same books but had to pass as I generally go past Richie's booth. Probably cost me thousands of dollars too. That being said, you definitely hear good things about Richie as well from guys who have known him a long time.

Well he has a lot of books. Sometimes you can get a deal with him. But there are some books that are ridiculously priced like that 19k detective 40 (raw)

I'm sure the buyer negotiated a better deal, but that book did sell in San Diego.

True you can get a deal with him but sometimes even the deal isn't all too great. If I got a tec 44 cgc 6.0 blue for $420. and he offered me the 44 he had in vg (raw) for $100 less of the original price of $575 (something like that) what kind of good deal is it really?