• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

E-Bay Buyer Beware- greatermagic

22 posts in this topic

Buyer beware- I bid on a Batman 423 CGC 9.6 a few days back after reading my raw copy and remembering how much I enjoyed the story. I bid $20, and moved along. I received a message today my bid was cancelled with no message from the seller. The auction was cancelled at the last minute with $10.50 being the high bid.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BATMAN-423-CGC-9-6-WHITE-PAGES_W0QQitemZ120353227437QQihZ002QQcategoryZ165391QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Unscrupulous as it may be, I understand the cancelling of the auction. I have sold slabbed books for $1.00 due to my not setting a reserve. The least I would expect would be a message to me not just cancelled and forgotten. BEWARE!

:censored: Chris

I not so sure, take a look at the bid history it was up to $10.50. $1.23 was the starting price and once the bids were canceled that's all it will show. I'm not sure , but I thought eBay has a 12 hour rule were you cannot cancel an auction with bids 12 hours or less before an auction closes.

I not so sure, take a look at the bid history it was up to $10.50. $1.23 was the starting price and once the bids were canceled that's all it will show. I'm not sure , but I thought eBay has a 12 hour rule were you cannot cancel an auction with bids 12 hours or less before an auction closes.

I just saw the bid history-thanks. Still bad form.

Chris

Bid retraction and cancellation history

Bidder Action / Explanation Date of Bid and Retraction

Bidder o***e Cancelled: US $1.23

Explanation: The seller ended the listing early and cancelled all bids. Bid: Dec-21-08 18:06:54 PST

Cancelled: Dec-23-08 20:15:40 PST

Bidder m***n Cancelled: US $10.50

Explanation: The seller ended the listing early and cancelled all bids. Bid: Dec-22-08 08:42:19 PST

Bidder c***e Cancelled: US $4.03

Explanation: The seller ended the listing early and cancelled all bids. Bid: Dec-22-08 22:11:01 PST

Bidder p***e Cancelled: US $9.01

Explanation: The seller ended the listing early and cancelled all bids. Bid: Dec-23-08 14:45:12 PST

Bidder p***r Cancelled: US $3.00

Explanation: The seller ended the listing early and cancelled all bids. Bid: Dec-22-08 02:59:04 PST

It looks like the high bid was $9.51 when the auction was cancelled and the highest maximum bid was $10.50 or am I reading this wrong

true: bad form anyway

I've cancelled an auction 13 hours before closing. What's the big deal? If I mis-read the market for an item at a specific time (or if anyone does) I don't see anything wrong with yanking it to be sold later.

No longer available for sale is at the sellers discretion. He should probably just learn to set a reserve. I have sold many books for low prices due to no reserve and $1.00 starting bids. Let the market determine the value. A cgc case and grade does not make a book valuable in and of itself. Too many ebay sellers do not realize this.

With ALL the scammers and bad comic graders on ebay, I'm not convinced a guy with 766 positives at 100% warrants this thread. Yes its in bad taste to end it, he should have put a reserve on them. But seriously, lets warn each other about the true scammers out there. The ones that trim comics, the ones that don't disclose restoration. The ones that dont' even have the comics for sale and are just blatantly ripping people off. Those are the ones that warrant these type of threads.

I've cancelled an auction 13 hours before closing. What's the big deal? If I mis-read the market for an item at a specific time (or if anyone does) I don't see anything wrong with yanking it to be sold later.

What's the big deal? Besides royally pizzing off bidders and losing potential future customers as well as potentially losing money (most bidding happens in the last few minutes) it's against ebay rules.

From ebay:

"Sellers are not permitted to cancel bids and end listings early in order to avoid selling an item that did not meet the desired sale price. This is considered to be reserve fee circumvention. Although there are legitimate reasons for ending a listing early, abuse of this option will be investigated.

A seller is not permitted to misuse the Reserve price feature. Misuse includes:

Stating the reserve price of the item when the item has not been listed using the reserve price feature.

Stating that the high bidder is obligated to purchase the item even if the reserve price has not been met.

Canceling bids and ending a listing early because the seller's desired price has not been met to avoid reserve fees.

Listings that violate the reserve price policy are not permitted. Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions, including:

Listing cancellation

Limits on account privileges

Account suspension

Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings"

Can't agree. The whole point of an auction is to sell to the highest bidder. If you don't want to sell to the highest bidder use a reserve.

What's the big deal? Besides royally pizzing off bidders and losing potential future customers as well as potentially losing money (most bidding happens in the last few minutes) it's against ebay rules.

From ebay:

"Sellers are not permitted to cancel bids and end listings early in order to avoid selling an item that did not meet the desired sale price. This is considered to be reserve fee circumvention. Although there are legitimate reasons for ending a listing early, abuse of this option will be investigated.

A seller is not permitted to misuse the Reserve price feature. Misuse includes:

Stating the reserve price of the item when the item has not been listed using the reserve price feature.

Stating that the high bidder is obligated to purchase the item even if the reserve price has not been met.

Canceling bids and ending a listing early because the seller's desired price has not been met to avoid reserve fees.

Listings that violate the reserve price policy are not permitted. Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions, including:

Listing cancellation

Limits on account privileges

Account suspension

Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings"

:sumo:

Can't agree. The whole point of an auction is to sell to the highest bidder. If you don't want to sell to the highest bidder use a reserve.

I am working on reserve auctions now, and they're not nearly as high in cost as I remember! Come buy my spider-man cgc's!! lol

With ALL the scammers and bad comic graders on ebay, I'm not convinced a guy with 766 positives at 100% warrants this thread. Yes its in bad taste to end it, he should have put a reserve on them. But seriously, lets warn each other about the true scammers out there. The ones that trim comics, the ones that don't disclose restoration. The ones that dont' even have the comics for sale and are just blatantly ripping people off. Those are the ones that warrant these type of threads.

:flamed::o You are entitled to your opinion Cujo. 766 positives comes from completed sales, how would that feedback be if the yanked auctions somehow factored into a score? Failure to honor the sale is bad business in our field of interest and is completely relevant and deserving of warning through our network.

:banana: Chris

What's your Ebay ID?

:popcorn:

:popcorn::popcorn:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

What's your Ebay ID?

:popcorn:

:popcorn::popcorn:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: