• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it too early to discuss San Diego Comicon 2009?

165 posts in this topic

booked at the Hyatt right next door using amex reward points....total cost for 3 nights was $300 :banana:

I've gotta call AMEX and see how I do that. I only have 20k worth of rewards points, so hopefully I can use some towards a hotel room.

Brian

you should be able to use them all..at least get 1 free night

I reserved a cheap Best Western ($139/night) about 5 miles away as a Plan B, in case the mad dash for hotels on the Comicon website doesn't go well. I have peace of mind that A) I'm guaranteed a room, and B) it's cheap, albeit I would have to drive each day. Still trying for something within walking distance for up to double the price of this room.

If you can find any hotels near the trolly stops, that would save you driving and let you out directly in front of the convention center - and if things don't go well at the con, just take the trolly to the border and a $10 cab ride will take you to someplace were you will forget all about comics.

I don't understand why the SDCC site has not publicly announced the start of the online hotel reservations which is usually in the 1st week of Feb/09. Has anyone pre-ordered the 4 day pass or daily admission tix rather than gaining entrance via a dealer's pass? Are those online applicants getting an inside track on the heavily discounted downtown core hotels so as not to crash the launch of the online booking system for hotels like they do every year?

I don't understand why the SDCC site has not publicly announced the start of the online hotel reservations which is usually in the 1st week of Feb/09.

The demand is so high they don't need to publicize it. As you've noted, the hotel system already crashes without any publicity. :o

Has anyone pre-ordered the 4 day pass or daily admission tix rather than gaining entrance via a dealer's pass? Are those online applicants getting an inside track on the heavily discounted downtown core hotels ....

I have my 4 day pass pre-ordered. I have not received any special notification or deals on hotels.

Long time exhibitors usually make their hotel arrangements in advance directly with the hotels before checking out the prior year to avoid getting shut out.

Those with large inventories usually stay at the hotels adjacent to the convention center since it's easier to load and unload. The organizers usually block off rooms for the exhibitors at those hotels first.

I learned my lesson last year when I got shut out. This year, I booked my hotel early and prepaid 9 months in advance to ensure I got a decent rate and a decent location. Pre-paying isn't an option for everybody but if you are committed to going, this does give you peace of mind. :)

This year, expect sticker shock for airfares. Most airlines, (including Ameican Airlines), locked into high oil contracts last July when oil was at their peak. Airfares are about double what they normally would be. What I saved on hotel is going straight to offset against the airline tickets. :sick:

I hope everyone makes it out to SDCC this year.

Cheers!

N

Thanks to one of my wife's best friend's husband wanting to go to SDCC (he is a toy collector), I am finally going to be there this year! :banana:

Which is the better place to stay - the Marriott or Manchester Grand Hyatt?

Thanks to one of my wife's best friend's husband wanting to go to SDCC (he is a toy collector), I am finally going to be there this year! :banana:

Which is the better place to stay - the Marriott or Manchester Grand Hyatt?

the hyatt (thumbs u great restaurant, HUGE breakfast Buffet, 3 minute walk to the Con.

Wed March 19/09 9:00 a.m. Pacific time. I have a fast t3 internet connection at work, and still can't get through their online hotel reservation site at 8:59 a.m. Pacific. By 9:05 a.m., the discount hotel allotment in downtown San Diego will be totally sold out. :cry:

May have better luck dialing in to 1-877-55-comic in USA. Outside USA, dial 212-532-1660? :wishluck:

kimik,

Choose the SD hotel that is hopefully under $400 Cdn/night including hotel taxes and tip. Book it now. You have been forewarned. :cry:

Thanks for the advice. I think I will stay someplace close (stayed at the Hyatt for BIO 2008 last year, but the Marriott next door looked nice also) and bite the cost bullet since I will be sharing the room with someone else. The only bummer is that the convention centre is a bit of a walk from the bars in the Gaslamp that stay open past midnight (let's just say there were a bunch of wandering biotech geeks last June who were shocked to see so many places closed early).

Wed March 19/09 9:00 a.m. Pacific time. I have a fast t3 internet connection at work, and still can't get through their online hotel reservation site at 8:59 a.m. Pacific. By 9:05 a.m., the discount hotel allotment in downtown San Diego will be totally sold out. :cry:

May have better luck dialing in to 1-877-55-comic in USA. Outside USA, dial 212-532-1660? :wishluck:

I'll be doing both. Supposedly, they learned their lesson last year, and have upgraded their servers. I didn't go last year, but in previous years have never had trouble booking something close by.

Besides the obvious choices (Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott), where else have people stayed that's a short distance from the convention center?

I stayed at Bristol (Court) about 16 years ago, but found the room too small. There are several hotels near the Broadway/Horton Plaza mall corridor. I enjoyed the Best Western or Holiday Inn about 13 short blocks away from the convention site.

Overall, I liked the Sheraton Suites the best because you get a door in btwn the bedroom area that you can close to muffle your neighbour's snoring after a happy day at the comic-con. Affordable suite to jam 4 or more sweaty fanboyz.

correction: the SDCC hotel online reservations open on the THURSDAY Mar 19/09.

The Omni is right across the street, but expensive. The Marriott Gaslamp isn't too far, it's down the street from the Omni. (used to be another hotel, Clarion?) I'm curious how much the Hard Rock Hotel will be, and they are almost right across the street from the convention center, next to the Hilton Garden Inn San Diego.

The Embassy Suites isn't a bad deal. It's a little further west than the Manchester Hyatt, and since every room is a suite, more space for you and your stuff. I personally can't stand the Holiday Inn Harbor by the Bay, they will simply "lose" your reservation and tell you to your face, even with a confirmation number, that you have no room.

There are a lot of convention busses that can take you from the north part of downtown to the convention center throughout the day, but walking distance is very nice. If you want close to the convention center, you have:

1. Marriott by the Marina (next door)

2. Manchester Grand Hyatt (next to the Marriott)

3. Hilton Garden Inn (across the street)

4. The new Hilton (south/east of the convention center)

5. Omni Hotel (across the street)

6. Hard Rock Hotel (across the street)

7. Marriott Gaslamp Quarter (across the street and back a little bit)

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Joel

Since I am not going to go to Wondercon this year, I am seriously considering going to SDCC. I don't expect to get much comic shopping done there as I have seen the crowds that form there every year. I'll probably just head there for the forum dinner, if there is one, and then go on Sunday. And there's no need to worry about hotels there. I have relatives that live 10 miles from the show. :headbang:

Since I am not going to go to Wondercon this year, I am seriously considering going to SDCC. I don't expect to get much comic shopping done there as I have seen the crowds that form there every year. I'll probably just head there for the forum dinner, if there is one, and then go on Sunday. And there's no need to worry about hotels there. I have relatives that live 10 miles from the show. :headbang:

If you want to buy comics, the crowds will not be a problem. The hard part is getting through the crowds to get to the comic area. I was able to get to every booth, take my time going through stacks and boxes and talk to the dealers.

Going to Artists Alley, now that requires some serious self control and patience.

I am a night owl, Brian, and I have a knack for late night ramblings... Ugh. :)

The comics area of the convention is quite manageable. It's all the movie/TV/video game/media booths in Halls D-G that attract the biggest crowds. They have all the freebies, gigantic booths, and eye candy that people love. Stick to Hall A and B, you'll find the comic dealers grouped together. Halls B/C have the comics publishers, and right around Hall D is where the frenzy begins. :)

Unfortunately, Artist Alley is the complete opposite side from the "comic" side, in the back of Hall G, plus a lot of artist booths are in the front of Hall G, which requires the half mile walk from Hall A and crossing past the aforementioned media frenzy in the middle. If you want Artist Alley, duck out to the lobby and make the walk there, much less distractions.

I am lucky in the hotel department since I live 15 minutes away, but I always have to arrive early to park my car (aka my storage locker) underneath the convention center. :)

Joel