• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

100 year old comic found in an attic!

20 posts in this topic

I bet she took the team photo.

:sorry: but :roflmao:

wow wish I could stumble upon treasure

Metal-detector-collage.jpg

Happy hunting! (thumbs u

Well, I've lived in Fresno for roughly forty years, and I've always said that it was the greatest town for pickin' treasures at yard and estate sales that I've ever lived in, and I have gone to yard sales in just about every major city in the state of California. I don't think there is any place like Fresno and the central valley for sheer variety of antiques and collectibles, and I'm not really sure why that is. Did people come from the hustle and bustle of the big city to these sleepy, quiet towns to retire and bring their awesome collectibles with them? I know many people who drive here from Selma, Sanger, Hanford just to shop here come Saturday morning. You just never know what unusual collectible or antique you are going to find.

Wasn't the Okajima pedigree found just south of Fresno in or around Sanger or Selma? It was an amazing collection of golden age. Two years ago I found a Batman #2, Wonderworld #6, Actions, Amazing Funnies, and others out in the shed behind a farmhouse ten miles from my house in the city. Unfortunately, the Batman 2 and the others were weather damaged because they were barely sheltered from the extreme weather one gets around here, but hey it was a Batman # 2. In the basement the guy still had unopened bottles of Coca Cola from the 40s in their original cartons still in the old wooden crates.

So why does one live in Fresno? For a collector, it is paradise, and all the collectors have been at it for so long you can recognize who's at a sale simply by looking at the cars. It's like going to SDCC every year and seeing all your buddies from the year before. The mountains are stunning in the wintertime, and this town has just the right amount of age. There are plenty of old homes with basements, and you just might happen upon a rare baseball card. Just ask Bernice or her husband Al, who own one of the nicest antique shops down in the Tower district.

"It's like unearthing a Mona Lisa or a Picasso."

Um.. yeah. If Leonardo had not used a camera and had not run off a thousand identical prints of his "artwork". Comparing sports cards to the Mona Lisa.. That's just ignorant. :screwy:

Well, I've lived in Fresno for roughly forty years, and I've always said that it was the greatest town for pickin' treasures at yard and estate sales that I've ever lived in, and I have gone to yard sales in just about every major city in the state of California. I don't think there is any place like Fresno and the central valley for sheer variety of antiques and collectibles, and I'm not really sure why that is. Did people come from the hustle and bustle of the big city to these sleepy, quiet towns to retire and bring their awesome collectibles with them? I know many people who drive here from Selma, Sanger, Hanford just to shop here come Saturday morning. You just never know what unusual collectible or antique you are going to find.

Wasn't the Okajima pedigree found just south of Fresno in or around Sanger or Selma? It was an amazing collection of golden age. Two years ago I found a Batman #2, Wonderworld #6, Actions, Amazing Funnies, and others out in the shed behind a farmhouse ten miles from my house in the city. Unfortunately, the Batman 2 and the others were weather damaged because they were barely sheltered from the extreme weather one gets around here, but hey it was a Batman # 2. In the basement the guy still had unopened bottles of Coca Cola from the 40s in their original cartons still in the old wooden crates.

So why does one live in Fresno? For a collector, it is paradise, and all the collectors have been at it for so long you can recognize who's at a sale simply by looking at the cars. It's like going to SDCC every year and seeing all your buddies from the year before. The mountains are stunning in the wintertime, and this town has just the right amount of age. There are plenty of old homes with basements, and you just might happen upon a rare baseball card. Just ask Bernice or her husband Al, who own one of the nicest antique shops down in the Tower district.

Well said. I have lived in Clovis (right next to Fresno) since 84 and Fresno gets a bad rap.

Shilling for Fresno!

:jokealert: