• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obama ASM comic $60 bucks a piece

378 posts in this topic

We got 25 more first prints and a couple hundred second prints in today.

They all sold...for cover price.

Here's a cool LCS story,...

Before I posted my kicking cans tale of not being able to find a 583 I talked to a LCS

and told them i just wanted to read one and the hell with all these hoarders and flipping

nutso's buying up every copy they can get there hands on. I also told him that I don't blame

him for taking the variants and charging more because a LCS can be a tough business at times.

Anyway the dealer said for me to come in the 21st and that he would have some 2nd printings

and he would save me one under the counter for cover price. I drop in today to see if

he kept his word and sure enough he forgot and he's sold out...

The dealer instead takes the 1st printing off his wall that has a $60 price tag and he

lets me have IT for cover!!!!

I bought that and my usual TPB's and few mods and gave him a decent tip.

He asked what it was for and I said very few people know the value of keeping their word

that motivates me to do so.

And NOPE I ain't going to flip it, nor drool on the out side of the plastic bag

thinking of the possible CGC 10.0 I might have..

I'm going to take it out and I'm going to READ IT!

:cloud9:

That doesn't look like Obama at all. And it always looks like there is a bullet hole in Spideys forehead.

Yeah, that artwork is terrible. It doesn't look like Obama and it even looks like his eyes are blue. It's hard to look at Spidey when there's that big hole in his head like that. It's just distracting. It's like looking at a pretty girl that's severely cross-eyed.

My copy ended up going for 75 bucks which was immediately reinvested into the collection. Is it bad karma if the buyer was a collector who's all up in some modern variant chasing?

I got $81 for mine

Imediately Reinvested it into a sketched SS book

Was delivered today and I got my positive feedback...

I haven't been paying to close attention to this...just in passing. But would you say that the raw ASM "Barack" issue (1st print) has been selling for $60-85?

Yeah, $60-$85 is right on the money. I saw a BIN for $50, lowest I've seen since a couple days before the ship date.

My copy ended up going for 75 bucks which was immediately reinvested into the collection. Is it bad karma if the buyer was a collector who's all up in some modern variant chasing?

I got $81 for mine

I haven't been paying to close attention to this...just in passing. But would you say that the raw ASM "Barack" issue (1st print) has been selling for $60-85?

Yeah, $60-$85 is right on the money. I saw a BIN for $50, lowest I've seen since a couple days before the ship date.

When was the lastime other then Captain America 25 a modern comic made a profit like this? I got $300 for my three after listing them on Craigslist. All three people were not your typical comic collector. All three buyers were 30 something year old women. Amazing!

I got $81 for mine

When was the lastime other then Captain America 25 a modern comic made a profit like this? I got $300 for my three after listing them on Craigslist. All three people were not your typical comic collector. All three buyers were 30 something year old women. Amazing!

Well, I'm holding out to when prices drop.

I went out with my nephew, Porcuoine48 yesterday. We went to a few pawn shops and antique stores. We went into a local area corner store. They had a pretty big comic section. We both decided to see if by chance, they had any Obama ASM's. Much to our delight, this store had 5 of them there just waiting to be bought at the regular Canadian sticker price!!!! So we gladly bought them all. The guy behind the counter said we ''sure must like Spider Man"!!

After we bought them, we put them in the truck. We forgot to get our soda and chips. So we went back into the store. We decided to ask if they would be getting more of this book in. No, was his answer. We both looked at each other and decided to tell him what they were selling for on Ebay. He didn't believe us at first. Then he started to think maybe we were telling the truth. Then he asked us what we were going to do with the book's.

That was the easy part to answer. Pick the best two condition book's for ourselves. sell the other three for a very quick profit. You got to love those little local area corner stores!!

I went out with my nephew, Porcuoine48 yesterday. We went to a few pawn shops and antique stores. We went into a local area corner store. They had a pretty big comic section. We both decided to see if by chance, they had any Obama ASM's. Much to our delight, this store had 5 of them there just waiting to be bought at the regular Canadian sticker price!!!! So we gladly bought them all. The guy behind the counter said we ''sure must like Spider Man"!!

After we bought them, we put them in the truck. We forgot to get our soda and chips. So we went back into the store. We decided to ask if they would be getting more of this book in. No, was his answer. We both looked at each other and decided to tell him what they were selling for on Ebay. He didn't believe us at first. Then he started to think maybe we were telling the truth. Then he asked us what we were going to do with the book's.

That was the easy part to answer. Pick the best two condition book's for ourselves. sell the other three for a very quick profit. You got to love those little local area corner stores!!

Why not just slap the guy in the face? (shrug)

Yeah, I think that was rather rude what you did. Sounds like you guys had some fun just rubbing it in to the guy. (tsk)(tsk)

Yeah, I think that was rather rude what you did. Sounds like you guys had some fun just rubbing it into the guy. (tsk)(tsk)

I think the soda and chips should have been purchased at a different store. doh!

Yeah, I think that was rather rude what you did. Sounds like you guys had some fun just rubbing it into the guy. (tsk)(tsk)

I think the soda and chips should have been purchased at a different store. doh!

I think a healthier option for the snack would have been more appropriate.

But all kidding aside, yeah what purpose did it serve to let the owner know he had just got lost out? Did you think he was going to get some more and you were just warning him?

WOW! the guy will think twice about doing future business.

"Why not just slap the guy in the face?" I don't understand this post at all. The store made there profit on these book's. He sold 5 comic book's, 2 soda's, two bags of chips to us. It is not up to me or anyone else to tell this or any other guy about what there selling. What were we to do? Tell the guy to take the book's off the rack. Then go print out a few Ebay sales. Prove to him there selling for $60 - $85 US dollars?? I don't think so.

Obviously no one in the local area knew about these books either. They were still there waiting to be sold. I'm supposed to go tell them all that this book is now worth $60 - $85 US per book? Once more I say, I don't think so.

We knew what this book is selling for right now. We didn't force this guy to sell these books to us. He wanted to sell them to anyone who wanted them. We wanted them, and bought them. You can't blame me or anyone else for keeping up to date on there product{s}.

I have seen antique dealers do this all the time. My nephew worked at a Antique Flea Market. They had a weird looking piece of what looked liked carved wood. It was listed as a curiosity for $75. Another dealer walked in, saw it, bought it. It turned out it was made out of whale bone. It was used as some sort of stabilizer on the wing's of old planes. He sold it the very next day for $650. I suppose he was to be penalized as well for knowing his stuff as well. He was supposed to tell all the other dealers there what it was, how much it was worth. Once more, I don't think so.

This wasn't someone inviting you into there home to evaluate whatever it was they were selling or wanting information on. This was offered for sale to the general public. That is 100% fair game. It is being rewarded for knowing your stuff.

I can see a point if I were to of walked into a private situation. Telling them that AF 15 is worth $500 when it is worth $5000. That is totally unfair and outright fraud. I believe the legal term is "Unfair Knowledge" or something like that. But we did nothing wrong here. We saw the book's being offered to the general public and we bought them. Had we of told this owner the books were selling for $60 - $85. He would of pulled them and sold them for these amounts. How fair is that to the general public?

The store had something for sale and we bought it. As far as telling him what they are selling for after we bought the books. So what.... If this guy can get more in. He now knows what the book is selling for....

We didn't do anything wrong. The store had something for sale and we bought it. As far as telling him what they are selling for after we bought the books. So what.... If this guy can get more in. He now knows what the book is selling for....

He told you he wasn't getting any more in. If he had said he was getting more.....would you have told the guy how much they're selling for on Ebay? Of course not. You would have asked when the next batch is coming & scooped them up as well.

Nothing wrong with any of that.

I just think it's pretty lame that you felt the need to rub the after-market price in the store owners face.

They're not saying you should have told the guy upfront that the books are selling for more, they're just saying that buying the books, taking them out to the truck, and coming back in to buy snacks and casually bring up that the books are hot right now was a little rude. It came off as a little rude because now he views it as a missed opportunity. He made his sale for the store, but my guess is his pay is hourly, not commission-based. Had he known the books were worth more, he could have bought them himself and made the profit. Had you not said anything, he'd have been none the wiser. We're just saying that you probably disappointed him some just because you know more about comics than he did. You just as easily could have said "I know some other collectors who have been looking for the book."

And to make your whale bone story fit, the guy that bought the whale bone and sold it for a large profit would have had to then go back the the original seller and tell him that he made a large profit just for bragging's sake.

Legally and morally, you did nothing wrong, but there's something to be said about common decency.

Actually, I did no such thing. How did I screw this guy over? He made money selling the book's to me. I didn't rub the price in his face whatsoever. Not in any way shape or form. I told him if he could get anymore, he should. That is when I told him what they were selling for on Ebay and elsewhere. I also told him I thought the price on these books right now was/is well over inflated. He didn't look to be the Ebay shopping/selling type of guy.

He wasn't upset at all when I told him the the price for the book's. He did say he would never pay that type of money for any comic book. He isn't a collector, that's for sure. He actually looked at me like I was the sucker. Why? Probably for thinking I could sell the book's for what I told him they were selling for.

I suppose I should of just bought them and walked out. That way if he got more in. I could of bought those as well. But I told him what they are selling for on Ebay. If he does manage to get a few more he can sell them at his store or elsewhere. If I didn't buy them. Someone else would have seen them and bought them. I'm selling three, keeping two.

PS:

The man who had brought in the whale bone was there when the other dealer bought it.

The first dealer had no clue as to what exactly he had. It didn't sell for almost 3 month's @

$75 The second dealer first bought the piece. Then he asked the seller if he could get anything similar like it again. The first dealer said no. he had got it at a auction of some sort.

That is when the second dealer told the seller what is was he had just bought.

The seller was happy he made a profit on the piece. He thought it was never going to sell.

The second dealer was happy as well. He knew where and how to sell this piece for quite a bit more money. Privately the seller may of been upset. But he didn't seem to be upset.

The second dealer was polite and respectful to the seller. Just like I was to the corner store owner. Neither one of us jumped up and down shouting IN YOUR FACE!!

Say this owner was able to get more in stock. I go back and buy every single one. Then he find's out that I am selling them for $75 a pop. That's when he would get upset. Something along the lines of.. You knew these book's are selling for $75 and you didn't let me know!!

Get out of my store, Right Now!!!!! At least now he knows what there selling for.

If your in the business of selling. You should know what that item is worth. If your not sure. Do some research and find out. Knowledge is a good thing. Some say Ignorance is Bliss. Sometimes Ignorance is a good business opportunity...