• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Silver Age comics have the greatest nostalgic value for you?

33 posts in this topic

Which Silver Age comics have the greatest nostalgic value for you? I'll start with three of mine:

This was the first Justice League I ever read at scout camp in the summer of 1962:

8-1.jpg

This was the first Justice League of America comic I ever bought:

14-1.jpg

And this was the issue JLA issue I most wanted to get my hands on as a kid but just could not find:

3-1.jpg

I had seen the ad for #3 in a beat up old copy of World's Finest at the barber shop.

This one.

OAAW170.jpg

My dad took me to my first comic con back in the late 70's. I bought a copy of this book as well as a OAAW 242 and SSWS 159. I still have all copies, beaten to death of course, but also have the one above. It's a bit of an upgrade.

For my dad it was Four Color 422 "The Gilded Man." and Superboy 15. He swore up and down that he had the Four Color but we still haven't found it, so he bought one. The Superboy 15 he has cover less, I bought him a slabbed 4.0 copy from the Toronto Collection for his B-Day. (thumbs u

For me it was Hawkman 8. The cover was barley visible through the handle on a long box and all I could see was the gold mask and part of Hawkman's head. But in the early days my dad wouldn't let me look at his books, so this was all I could ever see. I almost kept that one from being sold. :sorry:

72351.jpg.87734b7662b6be162d720bc210b6a85e.jpg

72352.jpg.5889bc8b24563dfd46e663f716e33901.jpg

72353.jpg.51d7a76ad7614dcdd3426934d5c22103.jpg

I bought this book from my LCS probably around '86-'87 thinking this was high grade :screwy:

2412210676_8051081148_o.jpg

In the eighties that was classified as "high grade". In the last ten years I've upgraded hundreds of the books I'd bought in the early eighties that I thought were perfectly nice at the time. Oh well....

This was the first DC super hero comic book (with the possible exception of Superman and Batman) I ever read while visiting a farm near Mount Brydges, Ontario in the spring of 1962:

11-1.jpg

It left a lifelong impression on me!

This was the first Green Lantern I ever bought:

24-1.jpg

I'd sworn off buying comics to conserve cash for other interests but partially abandoned my resolve when this issue hit the stands:

26-1.jpg

I completely abandoned my resolve when this issue hit the stands:

28-1.jpg

Can you blame me?

This is likely the first comic I ever got. It's an original newstand copy. I would have been 5 1/2. Have no idea how I managed to hold onto to it all these years, but I did!

ASM59original.jpg

For me it was Hawkman 8. The cover was barley visible through the handle on a long box and all I could see was the gold mask and part of Hawkman's head. But in the early days my dad wouldn't let me look at his books, so this was all I could ever see. I almost kept that one from being sold. :sorry:

lol That`s a great story!

I was all about the War comics as a kid and two of the first SA books I ever owned, I got from a friend who introduced me to comics in the first place.

Here are a couple of the G.I. Combats, and a SSWS I got back then, sadly, I have yet to find replacements for my early OAAW.

GIC-132.jpg

GIC-131530x772.jpg

SSWS-146.jpg

I was too young to have bought or read an SA book from the newsstand, so I discovered SA comics through 1970s reprints.

The Marvel story that really stood out for me was the Fantastic Four story with Daredevil and Dr. Doom, where Ben Grimm had to be turned back into the Thing in order to defeat Dr. Doom. I read it in a Marvel Triple Action or some 70s reprint series, and I can still remember it vividly 35 years later.

The DC story that really stood out for me was the JLA/JSA Earth 3 villains cross-over story from JLA 29-30, which I read as a reprint in a JLA 100 page issue. I`ve never managed to acquire a suitably high grade #29, but I`ve owned several high grade copies of #30, this being my current copy.

JLA30.jpg

Picked up FF #50 for six cents at a second hand book store. I had never read anything but Archies before. What a cover, what a story, I was absolutely FF mad, hooked for life on sonics. I can still remember reading that comic for the first time. Galactus considering us as we would think of an ant, blew my 12 year old mind.

I also remember my first bulk FF buy. Met a young chinese guy who had a bunch of early FFs. The following Saturday I was on the bus to the worst area of town and I was frankly a little scared. Found his house, went inside and happily paid him the grand sum of .25 per book for FF 15, 18, 20, 27, 28, 29, 30, 36, 39, 42, 43, 46 and 47. All were low grade with thick black felt pen on each cover and lots of assorted damage but they were beautiful to me. I will never forget reading those books on the bus home, heaven.

I'd read a few Marvels already - but picked up Captain America 111-113 for a nickel apiece out of the used comic box at the corner market when they were a few months old - they blew me away - and turned me into a Marvel Zombie for a while. I keep telling myself I'll pick up some nice copies one day - but I never do.

I was on vacation in Mexico at ixtapa zijuantanero. I met another kid playing in the pool and somehow I found out he collected comics. He'd brought some with him and I bought them for the sum of $10. Flash 109, 110,114,117,123 and 127. I still have them all and the 123 is a solid vg/fn.

I also met a really cute Italian girl that I spent quite a bit of time with :cloud9:

I was 10 or so.

Any of the books in the Origins and Son of Origins paperbacks have nostalgic appeal to me.

In addition, Fantastic Four 48-50 remind me of the wonder I experienced as a young kid reading silver age comics for the first time. Easily my favorite silver age comics.

I'm going with Fantastic Four Annual #6. It's my single favorite comic of all time, and I remember literally reading 2 copies to tatters (the Giant-Size reprint, I'm not that old). I have multiple copies of the original now, but to this day I own several beaters, so I know I'm free to read one while eating a peanut butter cup.