• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
17 17

3,714 posts in this topic

On 5/25/2024 at 7:36 AM, whetteon said:

stupid question but I want to ask anyways. Did they ever figure out who was making these counterfeits?

Don't think we ever got real names or figured out how many were made. But some obvious mistakes on their part probably sent them back to the drawing board. Pretty sure they aren't gone forever.

On 5/25/2024 at 1:56 PM, rich_TMNT said:

Don't think we ever got real names or figured out how many were made. But some obvious mistakes on their part probably sent them back to the drawing board. Pretty sure they aren't gone forever.

It makes me think that it had to be some insider job. Not the Mirage Studio but someone out in the Comic Book industry who just took this to some book publisher and started printing out these suckers. Surely someone remembers a booth that had sold a few too many of these one year at a con or something?  What year did they originally show up? 1989?

Edited by whetteon

On 6/12/2024 at 11:17 AM, whetteon said:

It makes me think that it had to be some insider job. Not the Mirage Studio but someone out in the Comic Book industry who just took this to some book publisher and started printing out these suckers. Surely someone remembers a booth that had sold a few too many of these one year at a con or something?  What year did they originally show up? 1989?

I think the majority of the original counterfeits were from around 1985/1986 and were sold via ads in The Comics Buyers Guide. I've met a few people who got their counterfeit copy that way. But this recent counterfeit is a new version that I had not seen before. It's not as well done as the original counterfeits, especially the interiors.

On 1/12/2024 at 5:41 AM, BeardedBubba said:

Interesting.  I hadn't seen the Clink sale.  So a 15% drop from $155k to $131k, then a tiny bump to $132k just now.  It will be interesting to see if the price stabilizes in the 130k range.  I've been fascinated with watching the price since I sold my 1st print in 2021.

Well, I guess you got your answer in the form of a resounding "NO", with this most recent result in HA's Signature Auction the previous week:  :tonofbricks:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/alternative-underground/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-1-mirage-studios-1984-cgc-nm-mt-98-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7374-91018.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 (Mirage Studios, 1984) CGC NM/MT 9.8 Off-white to white pages....

Looks like the downtrend is still continuing as more and more copies get graded in CGC 9.8 and comes to market, with this copy here only managing to hit $87K, with the one positive being that it's still up from the $50K price point where it was back in 2019 or thereabouts.  But definitely down from the quarter of a million mark which CC was able to fetch in a couple of sales back in 2021.  :(

On 7/2/2024 at 2:37 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, I guess you got your answer in the form of a resounding "NO", with this most recent result in HA's Signature Auction the previous week:  :tonofbricks:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/alternative-underground/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-1-mirage-studios-1984-cgc-nm-mt-98-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7374-91018.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515#

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 (Mirage Studios, 1984) CGC NM/MT 9.8 Off-white to white pages....

Looks like the downtrend is still continuing as more and more copies get graded in CGC 9.8 and comes to market, with this copy here only managing to hit $87K, with the one positive being that it's still up from the $50K price point where it was back in 2019 or thereabouts.  But definitely down from the quarter of a million mark which CC was able to fetch in a couple of sales back in 2021.  :(

Even crazier that after fees the seller will only get like 60K. Quite the haircut. 

On 7/2/2024 at 5:45 PM, rsouxlja7 said:

Even crazier that after fees the seller will only get like 60K. Quite the haircut. 

Well, since this copy here was graded back on April 10th of this year, I guess it really depends on what the consignor had paid for the book.  hm

Especially since this might be first time grade copy that the consignor had brought back in the day for only cover price when it first came out.  If so, he might still be dancing down the street and heading down to the bank with his monies as fast as his little feet can take him.  (shrug)  :banana:  :whee:

Then again, I am sure that his dancng would have been alot more lively and energentic if he had sold it back in 2021.  doh!  :censored:

On 7/2/2024 at 3:37 AM, lou_fine said:

I wonder what the hit was for the OW/W pages? hm