• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
19 19

3,735 posts in this topic

On 12/14/2021 at 12:08 AM, lou_fine said:

Yes indeed, as 2 more bids will put this book into new record setting territory.  :applause:

So, who's up for it and happy and willing to toss their hat into the ring by throwing in a bid here?  :devil:

That all depends on if they expect you to pay :roflmao:

On 12/13/2021 at 9:10 PM, Hulksdaddy1 said:
On 12/13/2021 at 9:08 PM, lou_fine said:

So, who's up for it and happy and willing to toss their hat into the ring by throwing in a bid here?  :devil:

That all depends on if they expect you to pay :roflmao:

Shouldn't you be working on the assumption that some other "fool" is going to toss in a higher bid on top of yours, so no worries about paying. :devil:

Makes it a lot more fun and interesting if you are sitting there with the high bid and ready to pee your pants hoping against hope for somebody else to come in and beat it.  :roflmao:

Edited by lou_fine

I'm sure many of you got this email today:

"Greetings Bidders & Consignors,

Having established the previous two records at $240,000 and $245,000, ComicConnect just announced anew world record sale of a highest-graded copy of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 CGC 9.8 at $250,000. “This is the most important comic published in the last forty years and stands as a cornerstone of pop culture today,” explained Vincent Zurzolo, COO, and co-founder of the New
York City auction house. “Eastman and Laird transformed what was an inside joke into a media juggernaut and merchandising machine with scores of comic titles and team-ups, movies, tv shows, spin-offs, reboots, and sequels.”

Published in 1984 originally as a parody of Frank Miller’s Ronin, the X-Men, and a splash of Teen Titans, the comic features the first appearance of the Turtles, their Master, Splinter, and the teen team’s arch-nemesis, Shredder. “Three generations of fans have grown up with and absolutely love the turtles,” Zurzolo continued. “While the $250,000 sale is impressive, I’m sure it will only be a short time before this record, too, is broken.”

ComicConnect’s current auction features a copy of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 CGC 9.8 as well as a CGC 9.4, a CGC 9.2 (second printing), and a special edition sixth printing CGC 8.0. The books are part of a massive Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles auction with final bidding on December 14 at 8:15 PM EDT."

Edited by Hulksdaddy1

On 12/13/2021 at 9:13 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, if it was both pressing and then grading which you had to pay for, then it definitely cost you way more than what the entire print run for the first edition of TMNT 1 would have cost you when the book first came out back in 1984.  :(

Looks like you must live in an affordable part of the country if you can cash this in for a huge house down payment because where I live it would probably be good enough only for a down payment on the down payment for a house.  :mad:  :censored:

Vermont.......sort of affordable but the pandemic has seen an out-of-state rush on real estate that has jacked prices waaaaaay up. But everything is in the 200-600k range around here.

On 12/14/2021 at 10:00 AM, The Comics Trip said:

Vermont.......sort of affordable but the pandemic has seen an out-of-state rush on real estate that has jacked prices waaaaaay up. But everything is in the 200-600k range around here.

Well, sounds as though you are lucky compared to my kids then who have practically no hope of finding a house for themselves in the city. :(

Especially when you are looking at something like close to $2M for a dump on the East side of the city and probably closer to $5M for one on the West side of the city.  Heck it costs even well over $1M for one way out in the boonies that takes you more than a hour to get into the city.  :mad:  

Definitely nothing to boast about when you have the second most unaffordable city in the world relative to average income, after HK.  :censored:

Edited by lou_fine

On 12/14/2021 at 11:16 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, sounds as though you are lucky compared to my kids then who have practically no hope of finding a house for themselves in the city. :(

Especially when you are looking at something like close to $2M for a dump on the East side of the city and probably closer to $5M for one on the West side of the city.  Heck it costs even well over $1M for one way out in the boonies that takes you more than a hour to get into the city.  :mad:  

Definitely nothing to boast about when you have the second most unaffordable city in the world relative to average income, after HK.  :censored:

What city is this ??

-J.

On 12/14/2021 at 3:46 PM, Jaydogrules said:
On 12/14/2021 at 11:16 AM, lou_fine said:

What city is this ??

-J.

Just Googled it and found the following 2 links which have basically the same rankings:  (thumbsu

https://www.geographyrealm.com/these-cities-are-the-most-unaffordable-places-to-buy-a-house-in-the-world/

https://www.lendi.com.au/inspire/property/the-most-and-least-affordable-cities-for-housing-around-the-world/

Not sure about the second Australian sourced link unless you are including the Greater Metropolitan area and not just the city itself, since lot value alone on the poorer East side of the city would run you up to their average of $1.4M, let alone needing to factor in the much more expensive West side of the city.  (shrug)

Not sure about the quality of life there, but Pittsburg sounds like a much nicer city to live in from strictly a housing affordability point of view.  hm

On 12/14/2021 at 3:34 AM, lou_fine said:

Too much reading and a lot simpler just to listen to Vinnie's YouTube video that's attached to the bottom of the auction listing here:  :gossip:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/928850

$230,555 with ten minutes to go........interesting that their private sale is 250k and the auction is only 230.....:popcorn:

On 12/14/2021 at 7:29 PM, Hulksdaddy1 said:

Nothing at the end. 9.4 went up $2k. Boring! lol

Is that your bid? :yeehaw:

I love that yall are letting us know, I'm like i cant look :wavingwhiteflag:after that poor sketch was so ill placed on a 9.8.

I might be in the minority, I liked the sketch but it's just, "too much!"

Especially on a 9.8, and now to see the blue labels top out, it's like a beautiful train, hoping it doesnt wreck the market lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 12/14/2021 at 4:29 PM, lou_fine said:

Just Googled it and found the following 2 links which have basically the same rankings:  (thumbsu

https://www.geographyrealm.com/these-cities-are-the-most-unaffordable-places-to-buy-a-house-in-the-world/

https://www.lendi.com.au/inspire/property/the-most-and-least-affordable-cities-for-housing-around-the-world/

Not sure about the second Australian sourced link unless you are including the Greater Metropolitan area and not just the city itself, since lot value alone on the poorer East side of the city would run you up to their average of $1.4M, let alone needing to factor in the much more expensive West side of the city.  (shrug)

Not sure about the quality of life there, but Pittsburg sounds like a much nicer city to live in from strictly a housing affordability point of view.  hm

So we are talking about Vancouver?  Or Rochester NY? (shrug)

-J.

On 12/14/2021 at 8:29 PM, Hulksdaddy1 said:

So strange!  And the 230 on the 9.8 also strange.  I think ppl are scared what the Fed will say tomorrow.

On 12/14/2021 at 8:07 PM, DPV said:
On 12/14/2021 at 5:29 PM, Hulksdaddy1 said:

So strange!  And the 230 on the 9.8 also strange. 

Not really that strange at all since the book was already right up there at pretty much current market value prior to auction end.  (thumbsu

Definitely boring though and would have been a lot more fun pre-auction end bids were a bit lower and the extended bidding went for at least a few more bidding time periods.  Nothing that we haven't seen take place with some of these books on all 3 of the major auction platforms though as it can be a bit of a snoozer when this happens. zzz

Not a real surprise though when you are talking about a book with a relatively high population count relative to this current market value where I am sure that the number of sellers willing to sell at this price point is most likely higher than the long term collector (i.e. excluding short term speculator) demand at the current price point for this book.  hm

On 12/14/2021 at 5:19 PM, The Comics Trip said:
$230,555 with ten minutes to go........interesting that their private sale is 250k and the auction is only 230.....:popcorn:

Don't really see too much strange here, as in a lot of cases, aren't BIN prices on eBay auctions also often higher than the true open bidding auction results on eBay(shrug)

Edited by lou_fine