• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
19 19

3,699 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

I’m happy for owners that are seeing big gains it’s awesome and I’m feeling anger with myself lol for letting mine go . I def have this on my top ten wants but at these prices I don’t see how I could ever buy again . All lower grade copies are locked up tight. I’m hoping for a miracle now 

This is a incredible book to say the least and I agree majority of the first prints especially the lower to mid and high end grades are locked up in collectors vaults now. This is why when u see a first print hit the market collectors know dam well it's gonna fetch a premium because there not abundant like some Silver age or Bronze Age keys. 

5 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Well Said! :headbang: It's a different era, and history is the only teacher. I personally wouldn't buy a tmnt now, but I can't afford it either lol, and also I feel the limited supply will always be lower than the demand for this particular book but that doesn't always translate to higher prices (thumbsu 

I was too tired last night to get the gist, that and it's been 95 degrees at 8:30pm here in Dallas with a feel like temp of 105, even late at night ha. My air conditioner already broke once this year lol ........ long story to say forgive me if I was too sensitive :) 

Limited supply will always lower the demand? U have that wrong my friend,,if anything a limited supply will always have a stronger demand. Which is why the book is pushing harder then ever before. If supply's were limited and the demand so weak then I guess that 9.8 that sold over 70k was a fluke right... 😳😐

5 hours ago, valiantman said:

True, but we've got thousands of collectors paying $200 - $1,000 for the variants of first appearances of characters printed in the past three years (or the past three months) who have done nothing.

Characters like Virus, Knull, Punchline, etc., etc., etc., are as nothing as it gets and there's just as much money combined in the bubbles over those books. 

There are true market manipulations, speculations, and unsustainable hype all over this industry right now for characters with zero history or for issues which have no significance. 

There's a $20,000+ variant of the 667th issue Spider-Man from 2011 that is valued based on literally nothing-at-all. But it's rare, right? Valuable-just-because-its-rare-and-no-other-reason is moronic, there will always be rarer books/cards/coins printed, all the way down to unique books, then they'll put gold on a unique book, then they'll make the whole book out of gold, then they'll dip the gold in platinum and then die cut the cover and place an actual radioactive spider in the center in lucite).  Rare-and-that's-all is the worst reason to buy anything.

TMNT is easily the biggest property in the past 45 years, possibly bigger than EVERY character since Spider-Man (58 years ago), and there will never be more than 3,300 first printings.  There are more than 3,300 copies of Amazing Fantasy #15 already CGC graded.

"Ninja turtles" are better known than Wolverine, and there are more copies of Incredible Hulk #181 already CGC graded 9.4 or higher than ALL of the CGC graded copies of TMNT #1.

TMNT #1 is the "perfect storm" of comic books - known low print, 36 years old, black cover, oversized book, not-sold-in-stores, reprinted immediately, household name, many movies and cartoons and toys, decades of popularity, all starting from one specific comic book.

Would it have been a bad idea to "invest" in Amazing Fantasy #15 in 1998?  It was 36 years old.

Would it have been a bad idea to "invest" in Action Comics #1 in 1974?  It was 36 years old.

Would it have been a bad idea to "invest" in Incredible Hulk #181 in 2010?  it was 36 years old.

TMNT #1 is 36 years old.  Waiting for it to drop?  Good luck.

Knull and Iris the Virus hahahha I love when u see fools who part with their money on those books.. It makes me laugh and if Matrix was here he'd laugh too..😂😂 "Commando" 

5 hours ago, valiantman said:

True, but we've got thousands of collectors paying $200 - $1,000 for the variants of first appearances of characters printed in the past three years (or the past three months) who have done nothing.

Characters like Virus, Knull, Punchline, etc., etc., etc., are as nothing as it gets and there's just as much money combined in the bubbles over those books. 

There are true market manipulations, speculations, and unsustainable hype all over this industry right now for characters with zero history or for issues which have no significance. 

There's a $20,000+ variant of the 667th issue Spider-Man from 2011 that is valued based on literally nothing-at-all. But it's rare, right? Valuable-just-because-its-rare-and-no-other-reason is moronic, there will always be rarer books/cards/coins printed, all the way down to unique books, then they'll put gold on a unique book, then they'll make the whole book out of gold, then they'll dip the gold in platinum and then die cut the cover and place an actual radioactive spider in the center in lucite).  Rare-and-that's-all is the worst reason to buy anything.

TMNT is easily the biggest property in the past 45 years, possibly bigger than EVERY character since Spider-Man (58 years ago), and there will never be more than 3,300 first printings.  There are more than 3,300 copies of Amazing Fantasy #15 already CGC graded.

"Ninja turtles" are better known than Wolverine, and there are more copies of Incredible Hulk #181 already CGC graded 9.4 or higher than ALL of the CGC graded copies of TMNT #1.

TMNT #1 is the "perfect storm" of comic books - known low print, 36 years old, black cover, oversized book, not-sold-in-stores, reprinted immediately, household name, many movies and cartoons and toys, decades of popularity, all starting from one specific comic book.

Would it have been a bad idea to "invest" in Amazing Fantasy #15 in 1998?  It was 36 years old.

Would it have been a bad idea to "invest" in Action Comics #1 in 1974?  It was 36 years old.

Would it have been a bad idea to "invest" in Incredible Hulk #181 in 2010?  it was 36 years old.

TMNT #1 is 36 years old.  Waiting for it to drop?  Good luck.

Brilliant way u put that.... Bravo!! Couldn't have written that better myself.. A person who purchased Action comics #1 in 1970 I believe payed 1500 for it back then. He said if it goes up to 10,000 in a decade or 2 he would be extremely happy.. Understatement and yet TMNT #1 first print is the lowest printed book of all time when u look at the popularity and the solid foundation it has takes for 36yrs.. You ain't seen nothing yet if u think the prices right now are high.. Hold onto ur first prints fellas it's about to go nuclear.. 👍💥

1 hour ago, Charleybrown said:

You’re also not mentioning the real push behind all of this...the federal reserve printing machine. We’ve been printing money since 2008. We just shut down the entire US economy and were in a recession yet asset prices are still inflated and were almost back to all time highs. I had a high net worth individual who owed me 55k Ask if he could Go on a long term payment plan because the market dropped in March. He’s finally getting around to paying me off now that the stock market has regained all losses. If the stock market drops again you might see a 9.6 first print sell for 18k just like it did in March this year.

Maybe, I’m not well versed personally in what printing money has to do with people spending their hard earned cash on comics lol. The government printing money has had no affect on what I’ve bought at least haha. And as far as this recession goes, I’ve been following the major auctions since the start of the pandemic in February, and it really hasn’t affected sales at all. Maybe a couple outliers, but for the most part sales have been strong. 

Edited by LDarkseid1

25 minutes ago, Kalel38 said:

Limited supply will always lower the demand? U have that wrong my friend,,if anything a limited supply will always have a stronger demand. Which is why the book is pushing harder then ever before. If supply's were limited and the demand so weak then I guess that 9.8 that sold over 70k was a fluke right... 😳😐

I didn't say that read again

27 minutes ago, Kalel38 said:

but I can't afford it either lol, and also I feel the limited supply will always be lower than the demand for this particular book but that doesn't always translate to higher prices (thumbsu

They supply the object..... will a verb....... be lower than the demand for this book

Translation demand will always be higher than the supply to read it backwards lol

It's just my opinion anyway ha

When the demand is still higher than the supply but no one can any longer afford the book..... it will level, the demand will still be higher but won't translate to higher prices....

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

When the demand is still higher than the supply but no one can any longer afford the book..... it will level, the demand will still be higher but won't translate to higher prices....

Thats basically where im at. I can easily afford a 9.6-9.8 but im not going to pay inflated prices. For F sakes there was. 9.6 that sold for 18k in march. Also the weird price movement with the 9.8 last year tells me some weird stuff might be going on. Im not saying I know what it is or if its market manipulation but that is one big drop. 

2 hours ago, Charleybrown said:

Easily the biggest in the last 45yrs? Bigger than Star Wars the biggest Ip of all time? Star Wars experienced a boom in 2012 thanks to the Disney catalyst and now prices (for toys) are normalizing after a small correction. Also I wasn’t familiar with the 36 year rule! None of those books you cited inflated in price by double after hitting the 36 year mark in the middle of a pandemic induced collectibles boom.

He never mentioned doubled he said was it a bad idea to invest in say Hulk 181 in 2010 at 36yrs old and so on.. Pandemic or not people have money regadless of what in life is happening.. 

1 hour ago, Charleybrown said:

You’re also not mentioning the real push behind all of this...the federal reserve printing machine. We’ve been printing money since 2008. We just shut down the entire US economy and were in a recession yet asset prices are still inflated and were almost back to all time highs. I had a high net worth individual who owed me 55k Ask if he could Go on a long term payment plan because the market dropped in March. He’s finally getting around to paying me off now that the stock market has regained all losses. If the stock market drops again you might see a 9.6 first print sell for 18k just like it did in March this year.

A 9.6 selling for 18k!!! while a 7.5 selling for 12,500 just this month.. Hold my soda while I eat my popcorn and wait for that massive collapse and drop lol 

1 minute ago, Kalel38 said:

A 9.6 selling for 18k!!! while a 7.5 selling for 12,500 just this month.. Hold my soda while I eat my popcorn and wait for that massive collapse and drop lol 

The point was when the stock market dropped like a rock people weren’t paying top dollar. 

58 minutes ago, Kalel38 said:

If supply's were limited and the demand so weak then I guess that 9.8 that sold over 70k was a fluke right... 😳😐

Which 9.8 graded copy was there that had sold for over $70K, and if there was, do you have a link for it?  ???

The only one that I am aware of was the HA outlier that sold for $90K in August of last year, but then ended up reselling for only $59K in March of this year.  :tonofbricks:

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, Charleybrown said:

Easily the biggest in the last 45yrs? Bigger than Star Wars the biggest Ip of all time? Star Wars experienced a boom in 2012 thanks to the Disney catalyst and now prices (for toys) are normalizing after a small correction. Also I wasn’t familiar with the 36 year rule! None of those books you cited inflated in price by double after hitting the 36 year mark in the middle of a pandemic induced collectibles boom.

I didn't think I'd have to specific biggest COMIC character in the past 45 years on the CGC messageboard, but since you're off on a tangent, I'll clarify.  Where did I say IP?

There is no 36-year rule.  We're talking about TMNT #1 right now, and right now it is 36 years old.

Here's a ridiculous statement:  "None of those books you cited inflated in price by double after hitting the 36 year mark in the middle of a pandemic induced collectibles boom."

Name another pandemic... I'll wait. 

What are you even talking about?

8 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I didn't think I'd have to specific biggest COMIC character in the past 45 years on the CGC messageboard, but since you're off on a tangent, I'll clarify.  Where did I say IP?

There is no 36-year rule.  We're talking about TMNT #1 right now, and right now it is 36 years old.

Here's a ridiculous statement:  "None of those books you cited inflated in price by double after hitting the 36 year mark in the middle of a pandemic induced collectibles boom."

Name another pandemic... I'll wait. 

What are you even talking about?

You just said biggest property in the last 45 years, so im assuming you meant IP. There are also Star Wars comic books. 

"Here's a ridiculous statement:  "None of those books you cited inflated in price by double after hitting the 36 year mark in the middle of a pandemic induced collectibles boom." Followed by name another pandemic

That was sarcasm and you made my point for me.

You mention how its the perfect storm for TMNT but its not just TMNT experiencing a price spike. There is serious asset price inflation which is spilling over into the collectibles market. Sports cards, magic cards, comics, toys...throw a dart and everything is spiking.  And it will come back down to earth. 

42 minutes ago, Subby1938 said:

Th a final piece on that cgc 6.5 was $11800.00 US the seller was kind enough to reveal that.... damn!

Anyone could list a mid grade copy and name their price right now. Smart guy. He said he picked it up 5yrs ago for 2700.00.