• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT #1 Club
19 19

3,699 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Charleybrown said:

Pop culture sensation doesnt mean the people buying neca figures right now are going to fork over 40-50k for a 9.6 TMNT 1. There's a very small pool of buyers at that level and for 40-50k theyre going to look at other books that have been proven over time. Id rather have a Fantastic Four 5 9.2 for 50k over a TMNT 1 9.6. TMNT 1 deserves a premium right now because its a hot book but this appears to be market manipulation hence the 79k fake sale on gpa. I spoke to someone else last night that has 6 copies ranging from 8.0 to 9.4. These are not strong hands holding these books except maybe the few people defending the book on here right now lol.

You've got great arguments for you to never buy a copy of TMNT #1. In fact, by your own logic if you had a low grade copy you should get rid of it right away, before the world comes to its senses! hurry!

I don't doubt the American consumer. New movie with Seth Rogen behind the wheel. I don't think we've seen the top.

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I believe you missed his point with respect to it being a high dollar value comic book.  :gossip:

Off the top of my head, the only book that comes to mind is Hulk 181 which numbers in a couple of thousand copies in CGC 9.0 or above.  (thumbsu

From a truly vintage collectible comic book point of view, having a few hundred copies of a high dollar value comic book already slabbed in high grade is indeed a "relatively huge" number of copies.  Especially when they tend to show up in the marketplace in numbers with relative ease, as compared to some of the truly rarer comic books which only shows up once every few years if you are lucky.  :(

That's the definite advantage with books like TMNT 1, Hulk 181, Spidey 300, etc. being readily available in the marketplace because you need this ongoing market action in order to drive the value of a book upwards.  On the other hand, extremely rare books definitely have this working against them as there are simply not enough copies showing up in the marketplace to drive any real type of market action.  hm

Oh I get the high-dollar part of it. It's all relative imho. Small # of buyers and all that. Yes. But TMNT I would argue has way more individual fans than most any of the individual superheroes save Batman and Spiderman. Hulk doesn't compare, nor Superman as of late. Even Wolverine doesn't have the same mass appeal outside of comic fandom. Just my opinion, who knows maybe I'm wrong.

Edited by GM8

9 minutes ago, GM8 said:

You've got great arguments for you to never buy a copy of TMNT #1. In fact, by your own logic if you had a low grade copy you should get rid of it right away, before the world comes to its senses! hurry!

I don't doubt the American consumer. New movie with Seth Rogen behind the wheel. I don't think we've seen the top.

I own a 7.0...so yes I’ve bought a copy already.

3 hours ago, Charleybrown said:

Pop culture sensation doesnt mean the people buying neca figures right now are going to fork over 40-50k for a 9.6 TMNT 1. There's a very small pool of buyers at that level and for 40-50k theyre going to look at other books that have been proven over time. Id rather have a Fantastic Four 5 9.2 for 50k over a TMNT 1 9.6. TMNT 1 deserves a premium right now because its a hot book but this appears to be market manipulation hence the 79k fake sale on gpa. I spoke to someone else last night that has 6 copies ranging from 8.0 to 9.4. These are not strong hands holding these books except maybe the few people defending the book on here right now lol.

Again to add my two cents... Anyone who got in to buy a Tmnt 1 high grade of course it’s great to see prices hiking the way it is. But again throwing in a monkey wrench into the conversation because someone didn’t get a higher grade is pure jealousy nothing more.

So my buddy knows someone with a tmnt 1 2nd print cgc 6.5 qith cream to off white pages.  Hes asking $2200.  Do you guys think thats a fair price and worth buying, or should i wait and hope a better 1 comes along?  Im not one buy graded cream page to off white page comics, but idk if its a good deal to just have a copy of tmnt 1 in my possession.

43 minutes ago, rckstr1253 said:

So my buddy knows someone with a tmnt 1 2nd print cgc 6.5 qith cream to off white pages.  Hes asking $2200.  Do you guys think thats a fair price and worth buying, or should i wait and hope a better 1 comes along?  Im not one buy graded cream page to off white page comics, but idk if its a good deal to just have a copy of tmnt 1 in my possession.

A 9.4 2nd print White Pages sold for 2200 at ebay auction less than a month ago. Think about that and then think if you need to have it right now. 

12 minutes ago, Charleybrown said:

A 9.4 2nd print White Pages sold for 2200 at ebay auction less than a month ago. Think about that and then think if you need to have it right now. 

Yea that is a good point.....im not worried about fomo but worried if i dont get a copy now for my own collection, the prices will be too ridiculous for me to own one.  I should of never waited to begin with but life, etc.  I was thinking about grabbing a 3rd print 9.2 or better just to have 1

22 minutes ago, rckstr1253 said:

Yea that is a good point.....im not worried about fomo but worried if i dont get a copy now for my own collection, the prices will be too ridiculous for me to own one.  I should of never waited to begin with but life, etc.  I was thinking about grabbing a 3rd print 9.2 or better just to have 1

I picked up a deal on a first print last week so you can still find deals. Id try to get a nice raw second print at one of the auctions over something with cream pages. Even if you have to pay a little bit more it could be worth it. 

1 hour ago, Charleybrown said:

I picked up a deal on a first print last week so you can still find deals. Id try to get a nice raw second print at one of the auctions over something with cream pages. Even if you have to pay a little bit more it could be worth it. 

B73EF488-BBB8-430A-8194-3FE769C0723E.jpeg

3 hours ago, rckstr1253 said:
3 hours ago, Charleybrown said:

Yea that is a good point.....im not worried about fomo but worried if i dont get a copy now for my own collection, the prices will be too ridiculous for me to own one.

Isn't that kind of the definition of Fear of Missing Out?

Mentioned before, but I sold off 98% of my collection back in 2014 when I needed the money.

Out of 4,000+ books, there were only three I knew I'd never own again - because even if I had the money, they soon reached values I wasn't willing to pay.

Those were:

• Showcase # 4, 3.0
  • Strange Tales 110, 6.5
  • TMNT # 1, 5.0

That said, The TMNT # 1 sold for something like $2,200, more than triple what I'd paid for it.

My FOMO is much stronger on the Showcase # 4 because the Flash TV show didn't start for another few months. It's since more than tripled in price.

5 hours ago, rckstr1253 said:

I too bought a 2nd print 2 weeks ago for 1675 for an cgc 8.5. It really high at 2200. But if turtle power doesn't go down. You might miss the train!!!

1 hour ago, Charleybrown said:

Lol you own one 9.4 and youre acting like youre sitting on an AC 1 haha. Must be a big deal for you!

Hmm Action 1 would be nice but I’m sitting on a nice high grade that u only wish u had.. Ahh jealousy it is a ugly thing to have.. 🥺