• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,382 posts in this topic

im thinking mirage, archie etc etc. i have the 1st 12 or so lirage books (sadly only 3rd and 4th print #1).

im not a condition snob at all so i grab vf books from a dollar bin all day long haha

If you're not worried about condition, most of the original Mirage run won't be too tough to find. I'm constantly looking for 9.8 contenders and run across just about every book in the run pretty frequently. If you're looking for variants, the #3 NYC variant will likely be the toughest one to find, but it is out there. The #4 2nd print manufacturing error is a close second. Finding bargain basement prices for those two, however, may be a challenge.

I saw on ComicLink where a CGC 9.2 #3 NYC variant just sold for $242. I wish there were more of these available.

Two inexpensive #4 2nd print error copies recently sold on ebay for about $105 (from DJB I think). I was going to buy the #4 2nd print, but I did not pull the buy it now trigger fast enough.

There are 2 #3 NYC variants is on sale at ebay for $749, one is CGC 8.5 and the other is raw F/VF. These prices seem very high to me.

I was also surprised to see a CGC 9.0 #1 1st print sell for $2000 on ebay. I thought the price was a little high.

I saw on ComicLink where a CGC 9.2 #3 NYC variant just sold for $242. I wish there were more of these available.

Two inexpensive #4 2nd print error copies recently sold on ebay for about $105 (from DJB I think). I was going to buy the #4 2nd print, but I did not pull the buy it now trigger fast enough.

There are 2 #3 NYC variants is on sale at ebay for $749, one is CGC 8.5 and the other is raw F/VF. These prices seem very high to me.

I was also surprised to see a CGC 9.0 #1 1st print sell for $2000 on ebay. I thought the price was a little high.

Someone really got a good price on that 9.2. I have a raw fine copy and a graded 8.5. I would have paid way more than the final price for that 9.2

I spent the better part of a year and a half-two years looking for one and the reality is: there are none.

Ok, so I'm sure there might be a small handful out there, but the simply do not come to the market. The closest to low grade I ever saw was one VG-range copy that I *believe* was on eBay, heavily over-priced, and sold by a questionable seller.

By no means are my number 100% accurate, but they'll give you a feel. Lower-ranging Mid-grades (4.0 - 5.5) will run you in the greater $500 ballpark though few of these are to be found. Mid-to-Upper-ranging copies (6.0-7.5) will run at least $600-$900+), and high grades (8.0 on up) will push you into the 4-figure mark.

The problem is that the higher-end mid-grades and high grades are typically the only ones out there for sale.

Edited by Mac Man

Someone really got a good price on that 9.2. I have a raw fine copy and a graded 8.5. I would have paid way more than the final price for that 9.2

Agreed! Total steal!

I spent the better part of a year and a half-two years looking for one and the reality is: there are none.

Ok, so I'm sure there might be a small handful out there, but the simply do not come to the market. The closest to low grade I ever saw was one VG-range copy that I *believe* was on eBay, heavily over-priced, and sold by a questionable seller.

By no means are my number 100% accurate, but they'll give you a feel. Lower-ranging Mid-grades (4.0 - 5.5) will run you in the greater $500 ballpark though few of these are to be found. Mid-to-Upper-ranging copies (6.0-7.5) will run at least $600-$900+), and high grades (8.0 on up) will push you into the 4-figure mark.

The problem is that the higher-end mid-grades and high grades are typically the only ones out there for sale.

Oh well. I guess I'll stay happy with my reprints :)

Saw a GREAT selection of TMNT stuff (books and OA) at Motor City's booth this weekend--particularly the FAT pile of # 1s!!!

Yeah, Motor City bought out Brian Tetge's collection. Lots of #1's (they had two 9.6's and a 9.4 SS Kevin copy), tons of CaW OA, lots of other misc OA (like the reprint cover to #7). They even have a graded Turtlemania Silver for $600 (if you're looking for one, I'd call them like...yesterday. $600 for that book is a steal).

While they have plenty of really impressive pieces, thee wasnt much there that either interested or that I didn't have. However, there was one thing that I picked up out of that collection. It was tucked away behind one of their displays. I was lucky to have even seen it. I've been looking for an authentic copy of this for the better part of 5 years:

miragelitho.jpg

This is a con exclusive lithograph from 1995. 29/60. Signed by the Mirage staff in pencil. I wish this photo had a size reference, cause it's huge. I'll take better photos of it once I've decompressed from the convention.

While a lot of the stuff they had was "collector" priced, I think I got a good deal for this piece.

A note to those of you searching for this, keep in mind that at subsequent conventions, Mirage sold a much smaller print of this litho (roughly 8.5x11). So if you run across one, make sure you know what youre buying (I've seen people mistakenly pay hundreds for that second print).

Hey Steph!

Sorry I missed you at the show.

I spent about the last hour of Friday at the Motor City booth...pretty much just drooling the whole time. I saw the piece you ended up getting. You're right, it was gigantic.

I picked up a few books and a few pieces of OA (I'm not sure the official term, but there's no actual hand-drawn art on it), but nothing over the top special. I did take a look at the Silver Turtlemania book. It was definitely cool to see one in person, but I still feel the price is a bit aggressive (of course, I say that, but can I find one elsewhere right now? Not even close.). If he still has it, I'll likely make an offer on it the next time I see him.

While a lot of the stuff they had was "collector" priced, I think I got a good deal for this piece.

Let's not mince words here - Motor City is close to Mile High levels when it comes to overpricing (and overgrading) their books.

Nice pick-up on the litho, though :applause:

Hey Steph!

Sorry I missed you at the show.

I spent about the last hour of Friday at the Motor City booth...pretty much just drooling the whole time. I saw the piece you ended up getting. You're right, it was gigantic.

I picked up a few books and a few pieces of OA (I'm not sure the official term, but there's no actual hand-drawn art on it), but nothing over the top special. I did take a look at the Silver Turtlemania book. It was definitely cool to see one in person, but I still feel the price is a bit aggressive (of course, I say that, but can I find one elsewhere right now? Not even close.). If he still has it, I'll likely make an offer on it the next time I see him.

Yeah Pete, sucks we didn't find eachother.

I just bought a frame for it, so I measured it. It's 24x20

As for the silver, the only reason I call $600 a steal is because the last 3 times Ive seen one pass hands it was for $1000 or slightly above.

I saw the Turtlemania and the reprint cover. SOooo cool. I'm a little annoyed I didn't get something there but I didn't find them until the tail end of the day and by then, I had a malaise with buying--just didn't want to buy anything at that point.

What can you do?

I'm looking for opinions on the registry.

I'm thinking of requesting to have all the reprints of issue #1 included in the registry. Currently, there's no space for many of the prints. My question is should the additional printings be added to the #1-#62 registry or should a TMNT #1 set be added as a standalone set?

For TMNT #1, theres:

1st Print

2nd Print

3rd Print (1st 3 prints have similar covers)

4th Print (Unique cover art)

5th Print (Unique cover art)

6th Print (Special edition, similar art to prints 1-3)

PBBZ (Black and White version of #50's cover, basically Laird's take on Eastman's #1 cover).

2007 Movie (Promo comic given out celebrating the release of the 2007 CGI movie)

Free Comic Book Day (standard comic size, similar cover to prints 1-3)

Color Reprint (#50 cover with new colors added on cover and interiors by Steve Lavigne).

So that's 10 different printings that could be added. This doesn't count any collected volumes or hardcovers that can't be slabbed.

Let me know your thoughts. Additions to the existing set or a new set altogether?