• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,377 posts in this topic

Adam!!! Congrats on the engagement--that's awesome! And very, very cool of Sally to pick those originals up for you. Definitely some cool show pieces there.

@ Robbussum, as others have pointed out, #s 2-4 aren't really big sellers so it's probably best just to hold on to them all as a set. And don't worry if you didn't get a crazy cheap deal on the book because it was a fair enough price and frankly, this is probably the "next big thing" come 10-20 years more as it continues to build in popularity both amongst collectors and in the mainstream pop culture. Congrats!

I wonder how well of an investment that could be. I'd imagine it would be hard to recoup $50k

Dunno about that, the OA for turtles #1 went for $250,000 and I think it started at around 30k, but I could be wrong, feel free to correct me.

I forget the name of that TV show about the dude who auctions off stuff from movies, but I've seen them get whopping prices from collectors. I would think the original costume from the movie (as listed in the auction) would fetch at least 50k itself. And, you could put it on and walk around with it lol.

It would be rough if the other 49 boxes are packed with a bunch of Archie back issues :P I doubt Kevin would be that mean. I am sure this is a collectors dream, all the unknown and "lost" goodies that might be found.

What a way to clear out a warehouse!

However it does sort of feel like those auction where someone sells a bag of rocks and says "people have found rubies, diamonds etc", with no mention of the quality and average size of those gems. Or, buy a box of 100,000 baseball cards and there might be a chance you get X or X's rookie card etc.

Sorry if I sound a bit negative, maybe it's the jealousy (I'm imagining a stack of a few hundred TMNT #1's in 9.9 condition). :)

Dunno about that, the OA for turtles #1 went for $250,000 and I think it started at around 30k, but I could be wrong, feel free to correct me.

That was indeed the sale price.

I forget the name of that TV show about the dude who auctions off stuff from movies, but I've seen them get whopping prices from collectors. I would think the original costume from the movie (as listed in the auction) would fetch at least 50k itself. And, you could put it on and walk around with it lol.

You couldnt put it on. The moment you tried to move it, it would fall apart. Literally.

I would price that suit as 4-6k as is, and about that much on top of it to restore.

It would be rough if the other 49 boxes are packed with a bunch of Archie back issues :P I doubt Kevin would be that mean. I am sure this is a collectors dream, all the unknown and "lost" goodies that might be found.

The boxes contain Kevin's sample collection. Meaning that when a company made anything TMNT related, they would send him one, and it would go into these boxes.

Sorry if I sound a bit negative, maybe it's the jealousy (I'm imagining a stack of a few hundred TMNT #1's in 9.9 condition). :)

No comics (especially THAT one) are in this auction.

Edited by Archon_Turtle

hm I'd agree with a previous poster--$50k is a lot and seems like it would be pretty hard to recoup. If someone has the spare change floating about, then sure, but otherwise, I'm not sure I'd touch it (even if I DID have the money).

When the auction finally sold (after a couple of Reserve Not Met endings), $250,000 was the starting price - and there was only one bidder with very, very, very deep pockets. I say starting price, as that was the reserve and when it was met, no one else bid.

Ah well, after seeing that show again last night about that dude who sells off movie props, and seeing a Superman CGC 4.5 unrestored going for only 100K, I am a little disheartened. Compare that to one of the original turtles costume, no matter how wearable or awesome it would look, I think 50K is steep.

However, pit at least one crazed fanatic/collector against another in an auction, and it gets interesting :P

I keep tabs on the TMNT market on eBay, as I sell a few TMNT books on there often as of late. Including my Full RUN of Vol. 1

Anyways, figured I'd point out a few interesting auctions.

Off of recent topic, but I believe this #1 COUNTERFEIT COPY ? , on ebay. He was originally asking $3000. For some reason he has jumped the price to $3,300

Awhile back I had asked about the legitimacy of this book and asked for more pictures. The short, and rude response confirmed it for me.

9.0 sold for $1,800+

9.2 currently 0 bids @ $1,500

8.0 #4 misprint UNDER $30

Ungraded Misprint close to $150 ?????

I sold about 6 of those on ebay. Highest sale was $110. Lowest $65

Edited by DJB

I keep tabs on the TMNT market on eBay, as I sell a few TMNT books on there often as of late. Including my Full RUN of Vol. 1

Anyways, figured I'd point out a few interesting auctions.

Off of recent topic, but I believe this #1 COUNTERFEIT COPY ? , on ebay. He was originally asking $3000. For some reason he has jumped the price to $3,300

Awhile back I had asked about the legitimacy of this book and asked for more pictures. The short, and rude response confirmed it for me.

9.0 sold for $1,800+

9.2 currently 0 bids @ $1,500

8.0 #4 misprint UNDER $30

Ungraded Misprint close to $150 ?????

I sold about 6 of those on ebay. Highest sale was $110. Lowest $65

Was there any useful information in his response or was it all rude? I had the same thought (that it was a counterfeit), and I've been looking for one, but it's priced too high.

I'm not sure if you've got a question about the other auctions you posted. (shrug)

I contacted that dealer almost a year ago, back when he had $5,000 on that copy (lol). I asked for pictures and sure enough it matches up with the counterfeit copy that I have.

At first he seemed a bit miffed that I was insinuating his copy was bootleg. I think he even said somethign to the effect of "Eastman handed me that copy himself, so how could it be fake"? I could find the exact email and words if you guys want.

Which brings me to this point. Do you think somehow (even if what the dude said wasn't true), that either Kevin or Peter (or both) somehow contributed to the fakes being created? It seems a lot harder to create those because a photocopy would do a crappy job. Then, you would have to print on the same paper/size as well, maybe use the exact same printer etc?

What do you think?

-Pete

No questions about the other auctions. just pointing out current interesting auctions and their end results.

As for the guy with the counterfeit. I can't find his response, but I do recall his comments being short. Something along the lines of this....

The book is 100% real. You don't need to see any other pictures, what I have is enough. Buy it and send it to CGC to see for yourself.

Not quoted but close enough.

.... and Sure Im going to buy it after a response like that. :eyeroll:

I CALL A FAKE!

Prices on 9.0's are definitely staying consistent. Between graded and self evaluated 9.0 they have all gone around the $1,800 mark this year.