• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,382 posts in this topic

Since the topic came up, I thought I would do a quick tutorial about Kevin's signature.

The signatures Kevin uses usually depends on two things.

1) What he is signing.

2) How much time he has.

Each signature obviously varies by small degrees, but there are some basic ones.

There are 3 signatures he regularly uses currently.

1) Separated K - Less Hurried. Normally if you catch him walking down the street or at a small appearance, you'll see this. This was also much more common prior to the Nickelodeon buyout. Since then, his lines have grown in size exponentially.

20130829_152856.jpg

2) Connected K - The "I have a huge line" signature. You see this a lot more since the relaunch of the Turtles. This signature also tends to be "fatter", and he will often stop at "East", though sometimes you still get the "n" at the end.

20130829_161957.jpg

3) Full Name - Personal signature. This signature is really seldom used. He will use it on personal documents (signing Checks for example) or on something he deems really important to him. In this case he used it for a tattoo. These signatures look like he is signing "Kim" Eastman. Which is funny cause that is his fathers name.

100_1386.jpg

Retired Signatures:

There are a few signatures that Kevin has used in the past that he has evolved out of.

"Sharp" Block Letter (Late 80's Early 90's) - This was a typical autograph signature for the period. Sometimes he would include the date, and sometimes include is middle initial. Like his modern signature, there is a slow and a fast version. The slower being the second photo.

20130829_152719.jpg

20130829_155035.jpg

Block Letter EASTMAN (80s/90s) - Mostly used as an art signature, you see this a lot on earlier published Turtles work

20130829_160154.jpg

Stylized KBE (Early 80's) - Another art signature, though I've seen it done in letters to friends as well on occasion. The stylized KBE looks different on almost every piece. This was primarily used PRIOR to Mirage and the Turtles.

20130829_160209.jpg

20130829_160223.jpg

"BROOKS" (Early 80's) - While I don't have a piece within arms length to show right now, Kevin occasionally signed "BROOKS" very early on in his underground career. Brooks is his middle name.

I hope you found this post useful :-)

Cool info. Thanks for posting!

I finally got back my turtles from CGC. Unfortunately, I will be selling most of them, so here is a family photo before they go away from me.

Once again, special thanks to PeterPalmer, peasofcrap, and RichHenn for getting this to happen for me.

:cloud9:

tmnt1_tiles.jpg

I just made several additions to my TMNT run today, very close to complete first print run. I will be in the market for a TMNT 1 first print CGC and a raw TMNT 1 second or third print very soon. Also have a few upgrades I want to make and I will have a complete VF/NM or better first print run.

I'm excited since this is kind of my grail run and I have been working on it a long time.

Well speaking of the CLink Auction, this piece of OA (TMNT1 4th print) was auctioned off last week and I was curious if anyone was in the know about who nabbed it? Definitely a grail.

On the Gobbledygook books. I think CGC was wanting or needing some way of distinguishing the 50 copies. From their perspective its about liability. Not that they haven't made mistakes before, but the ability to verify a true copy on a consistent basis.

TMNT14th.jpg

This is a sick piece of art. Narrelyyy!

CGC still won't grade the Gobbledygooks. I think many people have recently approached them, and it remains no. You're right about the liability piece. I guess the fakes look very real.

Does anyone have any thoughts about FMV for CGC 5.5 TMNT 1? I found it interest that the GPA for this book seemed proportionately higher for its grade when compared to the price spread of other comics. Might that be because this comic is rare and difficult to find in any grade, so people are happy to settle for a lower grade?

Wonder what the across the board pricing is going to reflect circa the new TMNT flick in 2014....they just wrapped production on August 3rd.

Seems like prices have creeped up with a few outliers above and below here and there.....I expect those are going to see a precipitous jump shortly.

I guess the fakes look very real to people who don't bother to educate themselves about the book.

Fixed that for you. Seriously though. It isn't that the fakes of this book look real, it's that the CGC has never bothered to learn a damn thing about them. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a fake and a genuine copy either if I didn't know what either one looked like.

The prices for the 2nd and 3rd prints have been getting pretty intense and if you check out my website here, you will notice that TMNT books are always in the top 30. Always. It's a very competitive comic these days. It is the undisputed CA key. So when a CGC copy comes up for sale it doesn't surprise me when there is some high prices. I suspect those prices will continue to climb for the next few years.

Edited by whetteon