• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective Comics #37... Such a cool cover!

46 posts in this topic

Let me explain my thoughts....personally I don't care how many threads folks start...if I don't want to read them I don't have to....taking a look from the other side of the coin let me provide an example. There is a thread for new purchases and I don't know if it's an established rule or an unwritten one that when folks purchase new books they should list them in that thread. I think we can all agree the thread exists even if we don't agree on the proper usage hm

Now on to my example, this weekend I recieved an amazing book from a fellow board member, it's was my first ever Timely, a copy of MM73 in cgc 7.0. I played by the perceived rules and I posted it in the GA new purchase thread and the Timely thread......nothing happened...zip zero...it went complety ignored. Part of my enjoyment in all of my hobbies is sharing with others and I am sure most agree so when you step up and get a great book from one of the top GA publishers....it is a bit of a punch in the gut for no one to take notice. I am not overly sensitive and I still love the book, which is the only reason to purchase books not the recognition....it's just nice to get both lol

Had I started a thread just for that book becuase to me it was a major book in my collection in a nice grade with good PQ......certainly it would have garnered some comments and recognition...as well as a few negative comments about starting my own thread. So....if you play by the perceived rules.....you may be ignored....if you start your own thread....you may get flamed.

Seems like both ways have potential drawbacks so is there really a right way and a wrong way to post or are we all on here to see and talk about Golden Age books? Make any sense?

doh! OMG Enough!

I just don't know where my head was. I mean I posted a Golden Age comic book in the Golden Age section of a comic book chat forum. I must be knuts!!! :screwy:

That's a great idea. I think I'll post just enough of mine to bump yours off the front page.

Hey Buttock - if you have enough pre-robin Tecs to do that, I'd love to see them.

I don't know why people get so pissy over a thread like this. Frankly, it is because of threads like this, with a special book like Tec 37, that I enjoy being a member of this forum.

How about this. Last week I got about 15 new books in. I love each and every one of them and I guarantee you I'm AT LEAST as excited about them as dizzyfoxx is about his Tec 37. I'll start a thread about each one of them with the hope that someone else will say "ooh, nice book". Then every other thread where legitimate conversations & flow of thought & information are occurring will be bumped off the front page & lost for a bit. Everyone else's books, for which they're hoping they'll see some adulation, will be bumped off too.

It's not JUST about YOU on these boards. That's great that you like seeing cool books. WE HAVE A THREAD FOR THOSE. If you want to see them, go to the "Have a Cigar" thread. Simple solution. If your book doesn't get enough praise there, boo hoo.

What dizzyfoxx doesn't get, is that these boards are about more than him. Other people use the boards too, and those people don't need to have their books confirmed by everyone. Most of us abide by these rules of etiquette out of respect for others. When dizzyfoxx decides that each new book he gets deserves its own thread, and every book he wants warrants a new thread, that's just rude. Especially when there are threads and forums already dedicated for these uses.

And when one person does it, others do too (see multicynic's thread last week).

Clear?

doh! OMG Enough!

I just don't know where my head was. I mean I posted a Golden Age comic book in the Golden Age section of a comic book chat forum. I must be knuts!!! :screwy:

That's a great idea. I think I'll post just enough of mine to bump yours off the front page.

Hey Buttock - if you have enough pre-robin Tecs to do that, I'd love to see them.

I don't know why people get so pissy over a thread like this. Frankly, it is because of threads like this, with a special book like Tec 37, that I enjoy being a member of this forum.

How about this. Last week I got about 15 new books in. I love each and every one of them and I guarantee you I'm AT LEAST as excited about them as dizzyfoxx is about his Tec 37. I'll start a thread about each one of them with the hope that someone else will say "ooh, nice book". Then every other thread where legitimate conversations & flow of thought & information are occurring will be bumped off the front page & lost for a bit. Everyone else's books, for which they're hoping they'll see some adulation, will be bumped off too.

It's not JUST about YOU on these boards. That's great that you like seeing cool books. WE HAVE A THREAD FOR THOSE. If you want to see them, go to the "Have a Cigar" thread. Simple solution. If your book doesn't get enough praise there, boo hoo.

What dizzyfoxx doesn't get, is that these boards are about more than him. Other people use the boards too, and those people don't need to have their books confirmed by everyone. Most of us abide by these rules of etiquette out of respect for others. When dizzyfoxx decides that each new book he gets deserves its own thread, and every book he wants warrants a new thread, that's just rude. Especially when there are threads and forums already dedicated for these uses.

Clear?

I think it's clear that this is your opinion and that opinion is not shared by all....after all the forum is for everyone correct? As for threads being bumped off the front page....believe me this forum is half as busy as most of the others I am a member of so threads don't get moved 4 pages in an hour...I think folks will survive if they have to click the little number 2 at the bottom of the page hm:baiting:

Anyway not my battle to fight it just seems like there are multiple opinions on the subject....who's right and who's wrong......let's just stick with talking comic books :headbang:

Let me explain my thoughts....personally I don't care how many threads folks start...if I don't want to read them I don't have to....taking a look from the other side of the coin let me provide an example. There is a thread for new purchases and I don't know if it's an established rule or an unwritten one that when folks purchase new books they should list them in that thread. I think we can all agree the thread exists even if we don't agree on the proper usage hm

Now on to my example, this weekend I recieved an amazing book from a fellow board member, it's was my first ever Timely, a copy of MM73 in cgc 7.0. I played by the perceived rules and I posted it in the GA new purchase thread and the Timely thread......nothing happened...zip zero...it went complety ignored. Part of my enjoyment in all of my hobbies is sharing with others and I am sure most agree so when you step up and get a great book from one of the top GA publishers....it is a bit of a punch in the gut for no one to take notice. I am not overly sensitive and I still love the book, which is the only reason to purchase books not the recognition....it's just nice to get both lol

Had I started a thread just for that book becuase to me it was a major book in my collection in a nice grade with good PQ......certainly it would have garnered some comments and recognition...as well as a few negative comments about starting my own thread. So....if you play by the perceived rules.....you may be ignored....if you start your own thread....you may get flamed.

Seems like both ways have potential drawbacks so is there really a right way and a wrong way to post or are we all on here to see and talk about Golden Age books? Make any sense?

Post away, new thread, current thread, old thread..let's share, embrace, and celebrate each other's acquisitions! (thumbs u I just love to see GA comics period---especially Timelys and Pre Rob Tecs :banana:

doh! OMG Enough!

Clear?

What I thought was clear?... 1.) This is a comic book forum 2.) There is a section which concentrates on Golden Age books 3.) The books I'm sharing for discussion, enjoyment, or ridicule are Golden Age books 4.) There seems to be a majority of those who either enjoy seeing GA books or simply just perhaps check out the thread, do not respond, and then move on to the next thread and 5.) Those that would rather have the forum's front page remain dormant and not realize fresh new threads. I appreciate everyone's input on this now sensitive thread creating topic and I don't mean to step on any toes but I will also say that I will gladly continue to post books to share whether they are mine or books that I see for sale that I feel are worthy to share and discuss. If you happen to be one that finds offense to 'new' threads that pertain to Golden Age books and their images, please feel free to simply ignore the thread and if you need to occasionally go to page two or three of the forums to view the long time ongoing threads, I apologize for the inconvenience.

doh! OMG Enough!

Clear?

The only thing I am clear about is that you offer more negativity than any other person I have come across on these Boards. In fact, I am having a hard time remembering when, over the last year, you offered anything positive at all. You surely did not make me welcome when I joined. Why don't you start enjoying the hobby and these boards instead of acting out as a self proclaimed board policeman who has to take shots and be overly critical every chance you can.

Is the the GA forums version of a flame war?

:roflmao:

Joshua's right, if someone is not interested in a thread they can simply not click on it and if it happens to bump an "important" thread off of page one who cares, if it really is important it will get bumped back to page one in due time.

So Dizzy made a few too many threads recently and did not exactly follow protocol because he was excited to share his books and stories in his own fashion.

He will hopefully find his way around here sooner rather then later, until then I say we should applaud his enthusiasm, or at the least tell him in a PM instead of dumping on his thread.

Guys please let the guy enjoy his 37............ It is a great book!

Alton was just making a joke, we are friends. Online sarcasm kinda gets lost even with graemlins.

Drama's over, move along nothing, to see here.

:hi:

doh! OMG Enough!

Clear?

The only thing I am clear about is that you offer more negativity than any other person I have come across on these Boards. In fact, I am having a hard time remembering when, over the last year, you offered anything positive at all. You surely did not make me welcome when I joined. Why don't you start enjoying the hobby and these boards instead of acting out as a self proclaimed board policeman who has to take shots and be overly critical every chance you can.

When you first came, I tried to educate you. You had been burned by undisclosed resto and I suggested you either learn how to detect resto or only buy slabbed. If you don't think that's helpful, then I'd like to point you to robojo's auctions. Funny how I don't see you posting much in the way of raw books lately.

doh! OMG Enough!

Clear?

When you first came, I tried to educate you. You had been burned by undisclosed resto and I suggested you either learn how to detect resto or only buy slabbed. If you don't think that's helpful, then I'd like to point you to robojo's auctions. Funny how I don't see you posting much in the way of raw books lately.

Your repeated unsolicited advice about how I shouldn't buy GA comics until I "learned" how to detect resto has been very helpful.

"Funny how I don't see you posting much in the way of raw books lately."

Right - I have cut down on my raw book purchases because of your "helpful" guidance that I shouldn't buy any until I master the art of restoration detection.

I think what is a bigger issue is that people did ask Dizzy to start one thread and post all of his books in there...much like Nearmint has a thread for himself, Skybolt and others.

There are many more efficient ways and less invasive ways to share your books than start a thread for every one.

I've probably started a thread or two on my own books but they are few and far between. To have 2,3,4 or 5 threads all current, all running, all at once is a bit much IMO.

I have nothing against John, I've dealt with him and he is solid...it's just a little advice coming from the community to help fit in the community in a way that is beneficial to the community.

R.