• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

San Diego Comic Con Badge Art rejection letter......

22 posts in this topic

I was looking through some old photo albums and came across this from 1992...

Back at least through the early 90's ...... San Diego Comic Con would have a badge art competition. Fans (and pros) could submit pictures to be judged and if accepted.....used as the art on the 1 and 4 day passes. It was alot of fun and really an honor to have your art selected and used. Well......needless to say.....my two submissions were NOT picked, but I got this cool rejection letter and my artwork back. Heres the letter.....and below.....the two pieces of art I sent in.....

IMG_0003-1.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Heres the part that gets me.......my wife, who is NOT a comic collector or fan (till she met me), but is just plain artistic at everything, thought it would be fun to send in a drawing too. Heres the letter she got back.......along with her submission.

ComicConbadgeartletter.jpg

IMG_0001-1.jpg

I think I married up.........in the artistic sense !!! :grin:

That's really cool. I used to have a rejection letter from Marvel for an X-men sample I sent them. I was like 15 years old but they actually sent me back a hand written letter.

Did you get your sample page back ??? I hope so.....theres something special about still having artwork you did in younger days. I think thats whats so cool about that RaceWay comic that Ken posted up here awhile back.

Did you get your sample page back ??? I hope so.....theres something special about still having artwork you did in younger days. I think thats whats so cool about that RaceWay comic that Ken posted up here awhile back.

I believe all was lost a long time ago.

I had some early art samples until recently but I've been unable to find them. Hopefully they turn up soon.

Do you have a pic of the winning artwork?

Its the Dancing Robbie the Robots.

One thing that doesn't seem right to me is the number they give for people to see the artwork. There had to of been more than 15,000 + people at the con in '92.......and what is it now 60,000+ ? Enough to sell out and get the fire marshall to paying attention.

Very cool Mike. To be honest I would have picked your wife's art and rejected yours.

Whaa....??!! They're not even on roller skates Dave !!! ;)

Its the Dancing Robbie the Robots.

One thing that doesn't seem right to me is the number they give for people to see the artwork. There had to of been more than 15,000 + people at the con in '92.......and what is it now 60,000+ ? Enough to sell out and get the fire marshall to paying attention.

They all didn't buy 4-Day Passes :shrug:

Yep. There were about 22,000 people who attended the 1992 San Diego Comic-Con. Many were 4-day pass people... but probably close to half were single day attendees.

I think I married up.........in the artistic sense !!! :grin:

Great story, and love the chorus line Robbie the Robot (assuming it IS Robbie). Great concept!

I have a rejection letter from Twilight Zone magazine that I should try and dig up. I think I must have it somewhere. Back in the early 1980s, I submitted a short story and got a rejection letter with a hand-written note from the editor. They liked my story and had a few suggestions on how to improve it, and hoped I would submit other stories in the future. Very encouraging to get that kind of personal response when you're just starting out.