• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heath Ledger wins

163 posts in this topic

This is the first posthumous Oscar to go to an actor since Peter Finch in 1976, so I wouldn't exactly have called this a lock. Heck, if Slumdog Millionaire had soomeone in that category they would probably have won, since they seem to be winning everything else.

This is the first posthumous Oscar to go to an actor since Peter Finch in 1976, so I wouldn't exactly have called this a lock.

Well, how many actors die immediately after the release of a massively popular movie in which you have a signature and much-hyped role? I'd bet not too many, especially as young as Ledger.

As mentioned before, it would be like Leo dying a month after Titanic was released - I can't even imagine how many awards he would have won.

This is the first posthumous Oscar to go to an actor since Peter Finch in 1976, so I wouldn't exactly have called this a lock.

Well, how many actors die immediately after the release of a massively popular movie in which you have a signature and much-hyped role? I'd bet not too many, especially as young as Ledger.

As mentioned before, it would be like Leo dying a month after Titanic was released - I can't even imagine how many awards he would have won.

One thing needs to be pointed out. This years field for best supporting actor was extremely week. Besides Ledger no one really stood out from the field. Just ask yourself, if Ledger did not win, who would of won the thing? That's what I thought, you're at a loss for people to think of because the field was week. I mean Robert Downey Jr. won a nomination for Tropic Thunder. I saw that movie and I can attest that he did not stand out in the movie.

One thing needs to be pointed out. This years field for best supporting actor was extremely week. Besides Ledger no one really stood out from the field. Just ask yourself, if Ledger did not win, who would of won the thing? That's what I thought, you're at a loss for people to think of because the field was week. I mean Robert Downey Jr. won a nomination for Tropic Thunder. I saw that movie and I can attest that he did not stand out in the movie.

Robert Downey Jr. was nominated because he was painted Black.

I've never quite understood the point of the Best Supporting Actor category. Best #2? wth? That aside ...

Heath Ledger did a fine job with his role, bringing out the psychoticism of the Joker. Sure, the writing and directing had a lot to do with it, but Ledger seemed to have become the Joker for the movie. So that would merit consideration of an award, regardless of his death.

Did his acting outdo his competitors in the category? Obviously, each voter has his own opinion Did his death sway some of the judging in his favor? Probably in the minds of some voters, but likely it's not universal. Did other nominees have circumstances outside of their performances that may have added to or detracted from their nominations? Likely not much.

In the end, unless the scoring of the nominees is revealed, it will not be known whether Ledger's death was a major or minor contributor to him winning the award. His performance, OTOH, was a major contributor, and so from that perspective, I think the award was deserved.

Do people actually believe Ledger would have won if he had not suddenly died, particularly at a young age?

This is a serious question, and as a disclaimer I have not seen the film so I pass no judgment on his specific performance. I'm just asking a question tinged with reality.

yes, he was riveting. the performance was electrifying. JC conveniently forgets how he was comparing Ledger's performance to Erkel or some such nonsense and how the Joker's clothes were all wrong. $1 billion and an Oscar later and he's still swinging.

Then I guess Clark Gable and Marilyn Monroe should have both won for the Misfits. Well that is if they would have been nominated.

Putting Ledger's death aside, his performance in TDK was simply a tour de force. I was thoroughly impressed with Bale's work in the first one, but it simply fell short of what Ledger presented in the sequel. I honestly believe he deserved his Oscar nomination, and I also believe he deserved to win. However, I think JC brings up a valid point that the Academy might very well have left it as a nomination and not a win had he lived because of the fact he is a young actor and would have other opportunities. Look at Anne Hathaway from "Rachel Getting Married." Superb performance, but someone else who has put in her time and also put in a superb performance (Kate Winslet really is an absolutely stunning actress) got tapped for the win.

So, no I don't think he'd have a win guaranteed but I don't think it's one that can be argued much either.

Do people actually believe Ledger would have won if he had not suddenly died, particularly at a young age?

This is a serious question, and as a disclaimer I have not seen the film so I pass no judgment on his specific performance. I'm just asking a question tinged with reality.

Mark, I came into the movie with great skepticism because I'm not a fan of comicbook movies. In my opinion, Ledger was unbelievable and even if he had not died his performance would have generated enough buzz to pull in a significant cross-over audience, although perhaps not up to the $1 billion mark.

My answer to your question would be this: Ledger definitely deserved to win even if he had not died, and I'm sure he would have received a nomination. But I don't know whether he would have won.

I think he would have won even if he hadn't died. His Joker performance was the most talked about movie performance this year, maybe the most talked about in a few years. Many people want future Batman movies to NOT have the Joker in them because they feel Ledger gave the definitive Joker performance.

Plus, look at the other nominees. Philip Seymour Hoffman already won a few years ago so they're probably not gonna give him another one this soon. Robert Downey Jr. in Tropic Thunder? Come on man, it wasn't even that funny and I don't think the academy wanted to give the award to a guy in blackface. They don't want to offend anyone. And the other 2 guys, no one's really heard of and not many have seen their movies.

I think he deserved to win and it's just a shame he couldn't continue his career.

Personally, I feel that the role was extremely well-written and definitely plum, award-bait material. The writer and director had more do with it than Ledger - he had ALL the great lines, every single one of them.

It wasn't the lines. Ledger transformed the character into something completely new. His interpretation of the character was electrifying.

I mean Robert Downey Jr. won a nomination for Tropic Thunder. I saw that movie and I can attest that he did not stand out in the movie.

You're kidding, right? He and Cruise were the only things that really stood out in the movie.

dying certainly added to his chances. But the film did a billion dollars, and last spring, Ledgers p[erfomrnce was responsible for much of the high expectations of the film... so, had he lived he may have suffered from comic book contamination. Being gone made this the ONE shot to give an admired and respected young actor the Oscar he MAY have earned years from now. It made sense, and made Acad voters feel good, AND, the competition never presented a worthy challenger.

Result? Oscar win for Ledger and Batman,.

Congrats to Ledger's family; it's nice for them. He did a great job, was a great actor in general, and the academy recognized that.

Now let's hope this movie goes away.

All I can say is... :applause:

I mean Robert Downey Jr. won a nomination for Tropic Thunder. I saw that movie and I can attest that he did not stand out in the movie.

You're kidding, right? He and Cruise were the only things that really stood out in the movie.

I have to agree with this statement. Cruise was the underrate funnyman in that movie, and did an incredible job. And Downey doing that scene where he pretends to be a peasant turning in Stiller to the local chief and tribe was totally funny.

Even better was when they were doing the fake movie previews right before the real movie, and Downey did that scene with Tobey Maguire where they are monks in love. What a way to start the movie and show why these actors took the roles as part of the story. That alone was funny!