• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will you still buy moderns when the standard cover price becomes $3.99?

79 posts in this topic

I personally only buy one book (WD)...so a higher price wont deter me

You read Weiner Digest? :screwy:

WD = Walking Dead ;)

I stopped reading almost all moderns about 6 months ago, because they were too expensive. As of about a month ago, I'm down to zero. They're not an investment, so the only reason to get them is because you like reading them. And I found that I had two ways of looking at that, both of which spelled problems for DC & Marvel continuing to get my loot:

1. If I'm just getting these to read, I can do that more cheaply via trades from Amazon, ebay, used, etc. or I can borrow them from someone. Some are so quick I can just read them in a few minutes at the LCS. I hear it's also possible to get them for free!

2. If I stop reading a title for about a month, even one I thought I loved, I find that I just don't miss it. I really don't miss any comics that I was buying, including Walking Dead, which was probably the best one.

So no modern comics for me, especially at $3.99. I think that's a ridiculous price. If it actually costs that much to make a comic (whatever!), then they're just too expensive and publishers need to find another medium to get the material out.

I think I quit buying new comics when they hit $2.50 an issue. Most comics take about 10 minutes to read, and I can't justify paying $2.50 (or $3.99 :o ) for that!

Completely agree with you there. Sometimes I'll read a modern in the bathroom and I'll finish 3 of em before my "work" is done.

The quality of a lot of these moderns is really bad. I wouldn't buy most moderns at $2.99 or $2.50; at $3.99 I just feel like giving up on all moderns. I mean, they give you 10-15 mins of entertainment and when you walk out of the shop with them, their resale value is $1 if you're lucky and zero for a lot of the books you just picked up.

I guess I realized it was time to quit moderns when I went to the LCS and saw the Gears of War comic. I love the XBox game and wanted to buy it, but it was $3.99. And the writer and penciller were both no-name unheard of guys. It's a fancy looking book with card stock covers and bright, glossy pages, but that's about all it had going for it. So I figured if these kind of books are cover priced at $3.99, just imagine how the Big 2 will use something written by Ennis or Morrison to justify standard $3.99 or even $4.99 prices in the near future. It's just not worth it.

I really wanted to read the G.I. Joe Origins book now, but it's at $3.99 and I can't really see it justify that entry price point.

I forsee a ton of canceled books in a year or two.

I'd have to agree with ya on G.I. Joe Origins. Went for IDW's first new Joe title, but they couldn't get me for Origins at $3.99. (tsk)

From CBR a month or so back:

2008 TOP 10 COMIC BOOKS

Quantity

Rank Description Price Publisher

1 SECRET INVASION #1 $3.99 Marvel Comics

2 SECRET INVASION #2 $3.99 Marvel Comics

3 SECRET INVASION #3 $3.99 Marvel Comics

4 SECRET INVASION #4 $3.99 Marvel Comics

5 SECRET INVASION #5 $3.99 Marvel Comics

6 SECRET INVASION #6 $3.99 Marvel Comics

7 UNCANNY X-MEN #500 $3.99 Marvel Comics

8 SECRET INVASION #7 $3.99 Marvel Comics

9 FINAL CRISIS #1 $3.99 DC Comics

10 SECRET INVASION #8 $3.99 Marvel Comics

Unfortunately it looks like JC is right about the modern comic masses as all the best selling comics of last year were $4 event books. This sucks for a guy like me who can't stand this . It's obviously very profitable for the big 2 so we should only expect more big crossovers at a higher price.

Here's another interesting article at Newsarama comparing the comic market in 2008 to years past.

As to the question at hand, I really don't know how many comics I'd be buying at a $3.99 cover price. I've already dropped all my Marvel/DC titles because of crossover mania, decompression, book lateness, and increasing cover prices. My last holdout was Astonishing X-Men but then they released Ghost Boxes - two 8 page fill-in stories for $4 with the balls to pad out the book with scripts and sketches. F that.

Anyway, I'd probably still be picking up the creator owned indie books I like so much. WD, Fables, Unkown Soldier. Brubaker and Phillip's Icon work (Criminal,Incognito) has already gone up to $3.50 but I'll stay with it if they keep pouring in all the cool discussions in the back. This is the type of bonus material I want - Kirkman's rambling letters columns, Brubaker's insights into crime comic and pulp history. I'd probably trade wait Conan, Star Wars: Legacy, and the indie books that just can't keep a schedule like Fear Agent if they increase to $3.99.

I can't imagine it's more profitable this way, but I really dig what Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neil are doing with the next installment of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Instead of a six issue regular sized mini series, they are releasing 3 longer page count books. Each book will stand on its own but add up when read together. The first book comes out in April and has 80 pages for $7.99. That's 3-4 issues worth of pages for only the price of 2 new Marvel books. I definitely hope more publishers try this mini graphic novel format and hope I can find some cool new titles this way!

-Bob

I really wanted to read the G.I. Joe Origins book now, but it's at $3.99 and I can't really see it justify that entry price point.

I'd have to agree with ya on G.I. Joe Origins. Went for IDW's first new Joe title, but they couldn't get me for Origins at $3.99. (tsk)

Ugh! I was really interested in checking out IDW's Joe books and picked up the $1 #0 issue but wasn't hooked enough to start shelling $4 out each for 3 bloody titles! I know you're supposed to be able to only pick up one book and be fine but it's all set in the same continuity so I'd feel like I was missing something and would have to get 'em all. So instead, I'm picking up some more old Marvel beaters to read! :banana:

-Bob

Even if books are $3.99 the trades will be that much per issue. It isn't like they give them to you at $2 per issue or anything. I think that is a moot point.

That's why it's good to buy the trades at a discount from Amazon or InStockTrades.com.

I will buy $3.99 books, yes, but only a few books at that. Marvel is the biggest offender by far, so they are first on the chopping block. The rest I will wait out either discounted runs or via trades. The wait is a real pain, though. I really wanted to read the G.I. Joe Origins book now, but it's at $3.99 and I can't really see it justify that entry price point.

It is well worth 3.99, So far IDW is one of the few publishers that I think is worth the 3.99 the artwork in All hail megatron is simply amazing.

There is a lot of resistance at 3.99 and I think Marvel/DC know this. They will pump out special event titles as 3.99 but standard issues I think will stay at 2.99.

Now if they did raise prices to 3.99 and added a backup story on top of the regular size story or a reprint story or just stretched the size of the story into a few more pages.

As for reading titles in a few minutes, I do not understand this argument, it is called reading, not speed reading, now granted a few titles I have read in under 10 minutes, but Modern reads take me the same time as any of the books from the past. For instance I got several books from the 60's - 90's to read when im done with my moderns, it takes me just about the same time on average. So the fault for fast reads lie with the reader in most cases.

I think I quit buying new comics when they hit $2.50 an issue. Most comics take about 10 minutes to read, and I can't justify paying $2.50 (or $3.99 :o ) for that!

ditto...10m if it's a "wordy" comic, if not half of that time's enough to re-read it

also the majority of the art in the mainstream superhero is really a drawback. I go one time a month to the comic store just to look and see what's coming out and don't understand what's on the editor's mind when i open some of the comics!!!

right now i just get the now and then hellboy comics and fables. Thank god i'm cured of the "marvel zombiness" it's been some years...and you can get all this crappola at a few dimes from the bay, so way burn your hard earned money?!

regards

I'll still buy the same amount of titles I'm buying now, which runs to around 10-12 books a month. I'm concentrating more on filling out back issues of my Bat and Tec runs to buy too many moderns.

doh! Hiyo!

Hmm... your question makes me feel depressed or makes me want to re-think my budgeting aspects of my life that revolves around my comic book buying... due to the answer I will be providing to you on this subject you raised.

I already do and will probably continue until the point where my comic issues cost $5.00 or more.

I am more of a DC reader (Though I do read a few independents, but I make my sister pick those up for me!) and I did pick up the entire Final Crisis epic event (Which was totally awesome!)... but I do and/or have though cut back on some of my pick-ups.

My form of, "cutting back some of my pick-ups"... I just put -off the series and wait to pick-up at a later time when I come across some extra income or when one of my current pick-ups has ended in its series run.

Examples:

Batman Confidential*

Blue Beetle***

Brave and the Bold**

Birds of Prey***

Catwoman***

Green Lantern**

Green Lantern Corps**

JLA Classified*

JSA Classified*

Supergirl**

Superman/Batman**

The Spirit***

*/ Dropped the series due to insufficient monthly funds and will pick-up series another time when funds are available

**/ Have a majority of a collection of the series though... missing few back-issues and will have to pick-up when funds are available

***/ Missing so much or almost entire series that the purchases of trade paperbacks is better in order to collect the series

P.S.

I do though wish that if the big comic book companies are going to do a "price hike" on the cost of comic book series or just in general... that they increase the books page count with more story and/or (Do not care if they do!) do it with full-page spreads of wordless-action!

Up the books cost, then up the books page count... with something other than advertisements!!!

P.S.S.

I think my pick-up list that I have budgeted to afford is around... 25 titles (Which is my max!). Age of Moderns rocks!

With all the price hikes and grumblings about dropping some books, I sense that the LCS guy who places order will order less and the print run will go lower.

Now, this is a prime time to get some copies of a hot book if you know what to get. hm