• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman #4 and #6 Heritage sales

198 posts in this topic

Im finding it odd too to not be checking out the 6 or 7 sites regularly for specific books one wants to buy. It doesnt take any time at all... set up a few bookmarks and bam. Five minutes later you are on your way.

You could argue that the best books never make it to dealers websites... but the consignments sites and auctions sites are a must nowadays to fins books for sale.

Tth2 that's kind of an odd statement especially for someone of your taste and "sopfistakation" :grin:. There are some killer books out there but how can you seriously hunt for specific books if you don't hunt them out, that's half the fun.

I have to admit that I only put in a fraction of the legwork that I used to, either in terms of checking sites and dealers or networking with dealers and collectors. Part of this, I guess, is due to the fact that for the past 3 years I have been selling much more than I have been buying.

However, even in my salad days, it was less about constantly checking out every website and more about the networking: figuring out where the books were, tracking down leads, developing a rapport with collectors and making sure I was at the top of the list if a collector ever wanted to sell, etc. The core of my SA DC collection, for example, was not assembled from public sources.

thats silly. clearly the buyer of the Heritage copies were well aware of the other Supermand sitting on well known sites.

Why do you say that? Not everyone checks every comic website all the time.

well, I said it cause it made sense to me when I said it. There arent that many sites and that many copies currently available.... so why wouldnt two serious collectors, serious enough to buy these 2 books at these prices already know whats out there?

Just as we know whats available on online sites, why shouldnt they?

Aman;

I would have to say that some of the big money Heritage customers might actually be old school and are used to the traditional auction houses such as Sotheby's and Christie's. As a result, they are much more comfortable with the Heritage approach with auction catalogues, live bidding, personal smooching, and what have you.

These types of customers are not the computer generation who would feel comfortable or would even want to tackle a pure on-line website to search through thousands of comic book listings. They simply don't have the time, patience, or any kind of desire to do this detailed on-line searching.

After all, there must be a reason why Heritage goes to all of this expense to produce and distribute these nice fancy catalogs to their prospective customers. hm

thats silly. clearly the buyer of the Heritage copies were well aware of the other Supermand sitting on well known sites.

well, I said it cause it made sense to me when I said it. There arent that many sites and that many copies currently available.... so why wouldnt two serious collectors, serious enough to buy these 2 books at these prices already know whats out there?

I don't, even for the kind of titles I'm interested in. These days, I never check the "regular" sections of Comiclink, Metro or Pedigree, for instance. And I didn't even check out Pedigree's auction last time.

Pedigree had an auction? :o

Aman;

I would have to say that some of the big money Heritage customers might actually be old school and are used to the traditional auction houses such as Sotheby's and Christie's. As a result, they are much more comfortable with the Heritage approach with auction catalogues, live bidding, personal smooching, and what have you.

These types of customers are not the computer generation who would feel comfortable or would even want to tackle a pure on-line website to search through thousands of comic book listings. They simply don't have the time, patience, or any kind of desire to do this detailed on-line searching.

After all, there must be a reason why Heritage goes to all of this expense to produce and distribute these nice fancy catalogs to their prospective customers. hm

youve worked with them closely for many auctions now, So I bow to your insider observations. Their customer base may be old school, as you say.

but, theyd have to be Luddite-like to not quickly master the booklink shortcut method to seeing whats out there. It might be that like many of us, there are some dealers we just do not do business with, so why check the sites... being old school as you suggest, that sounds like a reasonable assumption me.

I sure wish they were Boardies so we could hear their side of the story.

Aman;

youve worked with them closely for many auctions now, So I bow to your insider observations. Their customer base may be old school, as you say.

Aman;

Not exactly sure what you mean here since I have absolutely no dealings with Heritage except for some bidding on their Sunday auctions. No insider observations here, but just some common sense supposition on my part here.(shrug)

but, theyd have to be Luddite-like to not quickly master the booklink shortcut method to seeing whats out there. It might be that like many of us, there are some dealers we just do not do business with, so why check the sites... being old school as you suggest, that sounds like a reasonable assumption me.

Yes, brand loyalty might also be a factor here. For the older guys with money though, navigating through some of the websites is simply not the most convenient thing to be doing. The Hertiage approach is much more accomodating because it provides the best of both worlds (old school and new school).

Personally, I bid more when I receive a copy of a catalogue because it's so much more easier for me to flip through a catalogue as opposed to surfing through a dizzying web-site. If I see something I like in the catalogue, I'll go onto the website for a closer look, but don't ask me to go though thousands of pages and scans to find the one that I might be interested in.

As a result, it is very rare that I would even bother to go onto the CL or Pedigree websites. But then again, I am also not a big-time buyer and I really have no interest in HG SA Marvels or in uber HG BA books which is really more of their specialty.

first off, sorry Lou. I thought your remarks were from TTH, who does have a lot of contact with Heritage as he has done very well selling his Flashes and JLAs with them. So I was replying erroneously to him.

as for the old timers surfing habits, or lack thereof, I just dont see the big deal about online vs catalogs. For instance, you say you prefer the printed catalog to the online version because its so much easier to flip thru a catalog than surf a dizzying website. If this is truly how you and they feel, you are two clicks from freeing up your horizons.

Online on Heritage, yes, it appears that you are limited in what you can see on any screen. But in reality, you see MORE items per page (with scrolling) than in a printed catalog. And you can do a search for exactly the title you want - - - cant do that on dead trees. Online you can click to track lots you are interested in, and then see them all together in another screen. And dont forget zooming in! A book looks better or worse enough to make you an enthusiastic buyer or a disappointed passer at high resolution!

I usually do a few title and issue searches--- then scroll through the whole auction, screen by screen. Yes I agree it takes time and feels (at my age too) a little removed compared to an actual book in hand.... but when I get the catalog, I take it to lunch or sit with it for an half hour, page by page. Same time investment. I do see things I overlooked online, but, these are never my priority books, Ive already noted them online. And, you have to make a list of lots on paper, and if you plan to track them, now go online and go to them one by one. more time consuming.

as for not checking online sites? again, I dont get it. Aside from, as I said before, missing out on presold stuff to dealer's regular customers, online comic shopping is the easiest and best advance ever in this hobby. If many people dont get it or use it, maybe I should shut up and enjoy the lack of competition!

bottom line, does this hobby really have that many old school un-informed but experienced long time GA buyers for 6K books that are going around spending 45K on them? I mean, Do you know these bidders? Or have an idea? Thats another angle. Our hobby is small. This forum ought to have a pretty good guess as to both these bidders, shouldnt it? Does anyone think they are Wall St rubes/newbies advised or attracted to the "2nd Best" tagline in the auction descriptions? Im not trying to out them, but Im getting very curious as to WHY they bid so much now.

maybe one of them was a newbie... but both?

GPA is reporting the sales of the #4 and #6. I wonder if they sought any further confirmation that the transaction was completed, or are just going off the auction results on the site.

I never doubted that the sales were real. I cant wrap my head around the motivation for the bidding, is all. Who is completing a HG Superman run and fought tooth and nail for these copies? Are DAs copies needing an upgrade? But he'd never pay these prices, except maybe for the TOP copy.

this is a greater anomaly to me than the Action 7 was. There was real pent up demand for that book that had 3-4 bidders above 100K bids (120 with the juice). These two Supermans? ???

again:

I JUST DONT GET IT!

It does make me wonder if the bidders were representing celebrities. When I was posting ads in CBG, I used to get calls from time to time from a guy that worked for Jerry Buss. Part of this guy's job was filling holes in Jerry's wantlist. What a job!

Those prices just scream "buyers with more money than they know how to spend."

That Supes #4 isn't a new listing. It had been sitting on the site for 15K. The seller raised the price to 50K after the Heritage #4 & #6 sold.

interesting....... hm I wonder who owns it?

Not me! If it was mine, I would've called Josh immediately and had him move the book to the CL focused auction that just started.

if there were truly 2 buyers for the supes 4 at $50K, don't you think the underbidder (who was smart enough to find heritage) and "smart" enough to bid that price, could find clink too?...seems awfully strange that the underbidder hasn't popped the book at clink, unless.......

if there were truly 2 buyers for the supes 4 at $50K, don't you think the underbidder (who was smart enough to find heritage) and "smart" enough to bid that price, could find clink too?...seems awfully strange that the underbidder hasn't popped the book at clink, unless.......

You're such a tin-foil hat wearing Gator-fan. :baiting:

You're such a tin-foil hat wearing Gator-fan. :baiting:

I guess you got on your flight ok (Thumbs u

gator-1.gif