• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman #4 and #6 Heritage sales

198 posts in this topic

True story:

A friend of mine was buying a very high grade pedigree CGC 9.2 Superman #4. Book had been priced near 30K & was being paid for with time payments.

The balance of the book had been paid for about 10 days ago. My friend had been waiting for the book to arrive in the mail.

This past weekend, my friend gets an email from the seller of the Superman #4. As a kind gesture to my friend who had scraped the money together in order to pay for the Superman #4, the seller announced that he did not want to sell the book after all and would be returning all the funds to my friend.

Gee? This must be a coincide. I am sure it has nothing to do with the Superman #4 in Heritage.

:P

I do feel quite bad for my friend. For him, it was not really about the book per se. It was more of a personal disappointment that a financial one.

And Jeff is correct. The buyer is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet.

True story:

A friend of mine was buying a very high grade pedigree CGC 9.2 Superman #4. Book had been priced near 30K & was being paid for with time payments.

The balance of the book had been paid for about 10 days ago. My friend had been waiting for the book to arrive in the mail.

This past weekend, my friend gets an email from the seller of the Superman #4. As a kind gesture to my friend who had scraped the money together in order to pay for the Superman #4, the seller announced that he did not want to sell the book after all and would be returning all the funds to my friend.

Gee? This must be a coincide. I am sure it has nothing to do with the Superman #4 in Heritage.

:sorry:

True story:

I do feel quite bad for my friend. For him, it was not really about the book per se. It was more of a personal disappointment that a financial one.

And Jeff is correct. The buyer is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet.

indeed he is...and he has some wonderful books :cloud9:

It seems that a contract to sell that book was broken - unless they had an agreement that either party could back out. Once time payments are agreed upon and begin, the book is sold unless the paying party is unable or unwilling to continue making payments as promised. Legally, this guy seems in the wrong. Ethically, it is outrageous.

It seems that a contract to sell that book was broken - unless they had an agreement that either party could back out. Once time payments are agreed upon and begin, the book is sold unless the paying party is unable or unwilling to continue making payments as promised. Legally, this guy seems in the wrong. Ethically, it is outrageous.

I agree! He should be outed. I use the time-payment option on my larger purchases. I would be very displeased to have this happen. Is this person a member of these boards?

I agree! He should be outed. I use the time-payment option on my larger purchases. I would be very displeased to have this happen. Is this person a member of these boards?

I offered to buy a book from Metro's website last summer. They "pulled" the book and wouldn't sell it to me because they felt they made a listing error that "maybe" the book wasn't restored and were going to CGC the book and get back to me. They never got back to me and the book is (was last time I checked) still listed on their site.

Listed on their site, I finally offer to buy it for full price and they say no. Book is still on there.

Action #14 7.5 sl glue on spine I think.

Edit: I just checked...

Ah, my mistake....now instead of $2600 asking price it has a not yet processed button...and no CGC holder may I add even though Fishler personally told me it was at CGC in our emails to each other (which I still have) and on the phone.

http://metropoliscomics.com/load_bookDetails.php?id=752&set=0

They must have moved it recently as a few weeks ago (months after our conversation) it was still for sale at $2600.

How is this any different? Book is for sale but only to certain people or under certain circumstances. It's all a crock.

:screwy:

I offered to buy a book from Metro's website last summer. They "pulled" the book and wouldn't sell it to me because they felt they made a listing error that "maybe" the book wasn't restored and were going to CGC the book and get back to me. They never got back to me and the book is (was last time I checked) still listed on their site.

Listed on their site, I finally offer to buy it for full price and they say no. Book is still on there.

Action #14 7.5 sl glue on spine I think.

Edit: I just checked...

Ah, my mistake....now instead of $2600 asking price it has a not yet processed button...and no CGC holder may I add even though Fishler personally told me it was at CGC in our emails to each other (which I still have) and on the phone.

http://metropoliscomics.com/load_bookDetails.php?id=752&set=0

They must have moved it recently as a few weeks ago (months after our conversation) it was still for sale at $2600.

How is this any different? Book is for sale but only to certain people or under certain circumstances. It's all a crock.

:screwy:

This is totally different. The guy made time payments. After he paid for the book in full, (about 30K) the seller decided he didn't want to sell it. No comparison at all.

I disagree with both of you guys. A deal is a deal and it should be up to the buyer to withdraw the offer if the seller asks and the buyer agrees. It's not up to the seller to unilaterally withdraw the book any more than it is up to a buyer to reneg on a deal whether handshake, contract or any other form of agreement.

Whether money changes hands or not the principle and outcome is the same. No integrity.

R.

I disagree with both of you guys. A deal is a deal and it should be up to the buyer to withdraw the offer if the seller asks and the buyer agrees. It's not up to the seller to unilaterally withdraw the book any more than it is up to a buyer to reneg on a deal whether handshake, contract or any other form of agreement.

Whether money changes hands or not the principle and outcome is the same. No integrity.

R.

For a deal to be done, 2 parties have to be in agreement. Not just 1.

R.

Roy, although your situation is unfortunate, it doesn't fall in the same catagory as The Sup. #4

I feel that everyone should know who the dealer is. :popcorn:

R.

Roy, although your situation is unfortunate, it doesn't fall in the same catagory as The Sup. #4

however, not 100% of the story has been told, so maybe the customer and the dealer should be left "unnamed", at least for now (thumbs u

R.

So a book listed on a public website (for 4-5 months after this incident happened may I add) and me wanting to pay full price is not a deal?

The book stayed available at the same price for months after my offer was made.

How is that not a deal?

Oh I see...my money isn't strong enough to make the for sale sign roll over to sold.

R.

So a book listed on a public website (for 4-5 months after this incident happened may I add) and me wanting to pay full price is not a deal?

The book stayed available at the same price for months after my offer was made.

How is that not a deal?

Oh I see...my money isn't strong enough to make the for sale sign roll over to sold.

Roy, I have no idea why Metro has a beef with you, but any business has the right to refuse service to anyone.

R.

however, not 100% of the story has been told, so maybe the customer and the dealer should be left "unnamed", at least for now (thumbs u

I agree. People love to drag other people's names through the mud without a second thought.

R.

just playing devils advocate here roy...

and I will use you and I in my hypothetical/real situation..

we have agreed, both in principle and in initial money exchange to transact on a certain MMC...we are cool up to here...

you and I agree that book with be paid off in X time (3 months in our scenario).

What would you say, if in 3 months and 1 day you haven't finished paying the book off...maybe you come to me and say "Rick, I need a little more time"... me, being the nice guy, will probably say "OK", but you, as the buyer, understand that I the seller, don't "have to"...that at that time, "legally" (if I must say that) our deal is off...

but, I say sure, a little more time is fine (but we never define "little more time")...

let us now say, that between this expiration of the original deal and you finally paying me off, that another same issue of lessor grade or provenance, or whatever, sells for 2x what you and I had agreed upon... hm do you all of a sudden find a way to pay the book off... do I have the right at that point to say, sorry Roy, time's up... I will refund your money and sorry we couldn't finish the deal?

that is an interesting scenario

R.

just playing devils advocate here roy...

and I will use you and I in my hypothetical/real situation..

we have agreed, both in principle and in initial money exchange to transact on a certain MMC...we are cool up to here...

you and I agree that book with be paid off in X time (3 months in our scenario).

What would you say, if in 3 months and 1 day you haven't finished paying the book off...maybe you come to me and say "Rick, I need a little more time"... me, being the nice guy, will probably say "OK", but you, as the buyer, understand that I the seller, don't "have to"...that at that time, "legally" (if I must say that) our deal is off...

but, I say sure, a little more time is fine (but we never define "little more time")...

let us now say, that between this expiration of the original deal and you finally paying me off, that another same issue of lessor grade or provenance, or whatever, sells for 2x what you and I had agreed upon... hm do you all of a sudden find a way to pay the book off... do I have the right at that point to say, sorry Roy, time's up... I will refund your money and sorry we couldn't finish the deal?

that is an interesting scenario

Rick, you're scenario is completely valid because I would have theoretically went outside of the originally agreed time frame. The contract (our handshake agreement) theoretically would have been broken by me and you would have every right to back out of the deal.

If that is what happened with the Supes #4 9.2 then that is a completely different scenario and one worth leaving between both parties involved as there is a grey area.

With my situation there was no grey area.

According to Metropolis, the book had been paid in full for 10 days. The buyer was waiting for his book to arrive. Then, he recieved an e-mail from the seller saying he didn't want to sell the book.