• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman #4 and #6 Heritage sales

198 posts in this topic

Someone should grab the Superman 4 in 8.0 on Clink. At 15k it's a steal compared to the recent Heritage sale.

Yea, for the seller. (shrug)

Someone should grab the Superman 4 in 8.0 on Clink. At 15k it's a steal compared to the recent Heritage sale.
true, if that was a legit sale lol

You mean that wasn't legit! Nah. Had to be real. The market is "hot" according to some.

Yea, for the seller. (shrug)

It's called sacrasm, Dizzy.

Thanks for rectifying, clarifying, and verifying. :baiting::jokealert:

You mean that wasn't legit! Nah. Had to be real. The market is "hot" according to some.

(thumbs u

$50,000 for Supes #4 8.0 on Clink?

$75,000 for #10 9.4

etc...

Yesterday, the asking price on the #4 was 15K, and 25K on the #10.

Regarding the #4 and the #10 on ComicLink... Perhaps the owner of those has seen the prices of the #4 and #6 on Heritage and decided to temporarily set some crazy high prices on ComicLink until he has some time to reassess a rough FMV on them (even if it ends up being the same as it was before). Or perhaps the owner is considering a private deal on one of those books and as a courtesy he has temporarily jacked up the price on ComicLink to dissuade other possible bidders while the private deal is being discussed. Just a few possibilities...

As to the sales prices of the #4 and the #6 on Heritage, I don't really have any theories about what might have happened there.

In case anyone cares... Hopefully you'll agree after reading this that my worst offense was this long boring explanation... :foryou:

Please see comments in my earlier post above. These comments were more factual than they were hypothetical.

Let's just say that I was pretty shocked when I first saw the sale prices on the Supes #4 & #6 on Heritage. Pending my having a chance to be sure that these prices weren't "real", within minutes of reading about the Heritage sales I went into ComicLink and raised the prices on my #4 and #10 to ridiculous amounts (I think I set them at $75K and $50K iirc), not expecting that anyone would even bid half of these amounts. In hindsight, I should have trusted my instincts (that the Heritage sales weren't real) and just left my prices as they were on ComicLink (or alternatively I should have unlisted these books for a short time while I digested the Heritage info). I also should have dropped the prices to reality sooner than I did. I'll try not to make these mistakes again. :foryou:

As of right now my 8.0 Superman #4 is no longer listed on ComicLink as I'm taking some time to contemplate whether I really want to sell this book or not; if I do, the price I list it at will probably be more in line with what I think the true current FMV is based on recent (believeable) sales data, etc.

My 9.4 Superman #10 is still listed on ComicLink, at an aggressive asking price of $30K. I estimate FMV to be less than this, but I have kept it listed at this aggressive price for the time being two reasons:

1) As a courtesy to someone who has made me a reasonable private offer;

FYI - His private offer is for just a little less than I paid for it back in 2006 and I am considering it if he can offer a transaction solution that is acceptable on my end (He doesn't want to pay me directly, nor does he want to transact through a very reputable 3rd party boardie that I suggested who has offered to assist me in the past on such a transaction).

2) I appreciated Josh making my Superman #10 one of the featured listings on ComicLink (without my even asking for it), and I do plan to leave it listed on ComicLink (for less than my current asking price) if a private deal can't be met, so I decided to mark it up slightly for a short time rather than unlisting it altogether.

FYI - While my current ComicLink asking price is aggressive (and I will decrease it if it doesn't sell privately in the near future), in defense of my current asking price, it was listed for $24.5K and sold for $21K in 2006. It's "brother", a 9.4 OWTWP #8 was also listed for $24.5K back in 2006. Upon my purchase of the #10, the asking price of the #8 was increased to $27.5K and it was later shown as sold for $24.5K (the 9.4 #8 and 9.4 #10 both came from the same collection, and both are really quite breath-taking!)

Apologies if I offended anyone with any of this, and I apologize for not explaining this sooner, as I was going to await completion of my pending private sale first, but it has dragged on a for a while, so I figured I'd go ahead and explain my side of things...

No need to explain anything really, and asking prices are yours for the asking but thanks for filling us in!

:golfclap:

Have we determined for certaim that the Heritage sale weren't real?

Not that I've heard of, but even if they are real, I would assume that the buyer has had a chance to realize his/her "mistake" by now, and won't likely repeat it. Of course I think there's probably more to this story than just two wealthy buyers who didn't know what they were doing, but we may never know what really happened.

No need to explain anything really, and asking prices are yours for the asking but thanks for filling us in!

Thanks for your understanding and response. I was worried that I might not get a positive response before hitting the sack! (and congrats on your grail acquisition!!) :)

Thanks for your understanding and response. I was worried that I might not get a positive response before hitting the sack! (and congrats on your grail acquisition!!) :)

Roy's right. They're your books. Price them however you like.

Have we determined for certaim that the Heritage sale weren't real?

Not that I've heard of, but even if they are real, I would assume that the buyer has had a chance to realize his/her "mistake" by now, and won't likely repeat it. Of course I think there's probably more to this story than just two wealthy buyers who didn't know what they were doing, but we may never know what really happened.

Supes 2006;

Why is there an assumption the sales for the Superman #4 and #6 must be bogus or an mistake?

I certainly didn't see the same questions being asked when Luke Cage #1 went for over $10K even though top of guide is only $125. Or how about a Thor #126 going for almost $10K.

Now, those prices are just as ridiculous, if not more so than the prices on the Supes #4 and #6.

Has anyone actually picked up the phone, called Lon, and asked him what happened?

I was going to do that in a couple of hours. I was waiting until he was deep asleep.

Nothing like a late night comic question.

True story:

A friend of mine was buying a very high grade pedigree CGC 9.2 Superman #4. Book had been priced near 30K & was being paid for with time payments.

The balance of the book had been paid for about 10 days ago. My friend had been waiting for the book to arrive in the mail.

This past weekend, my friend gets an email from the seller of the Superman #4. As a kind gesture to my friend who had scraped the money together in order to pay for the Superman #4, the seller announced that he did not want to sell the book after all and would be returning all the funds to my friend.

Gee? This must be a coincide. I am sure it has nothing to do with the Superman #4 in Heritage.

True story:

A friend of mine was buying a very high grade pedigree CGC 9.2 Superman #4. Book had been priced near 30K & was being paid for with time payments.

The balance of the book had been paid for about 10 days ago. My friend had been waiting for the book to arrive in the mail.

This past weekend, my friend gets an email from the seller of the Superman #4. As a kind gesture to my friend who had scraped the money together in order to pay for the Superman #4, the seller announced that he did not want to sell the book after all and would be returning all the funds to my friend.

Gee? This must be a coincide. I am sure it has nothing to do with the Superman #4 in Heritage.

Who is the seller?

True story:

:P