• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lets See Those Funny Animal Books!
2 2

1,993 posts in this topic

The portrayal of Sniffles as angry on all these covers is not the Sniffles I know. Is he different in his first outings? Also, the look of Daffy on # 3 is bizarre. He looks completely dazed. Last, I was watching one of the early Daffy cartoons where he is literally "daffy" and he didn't even look as dazed as on that cover.

I'll need to scan some of the pages, Mary Jane and Sniffles is quite a bit different in the early issues when the sandman's magic sand is used instead of the rhyme that comes along later. Some of the Porky stories have very different portrayals. Bugs and Daffy are much truer to their early animation appearances and a long ways form the softer versions they become.

9.jpg

Never noticed this one. Very "period" cover. I doubt many would get the joke therein.

That was actually one of the tougher ones for me to find, I eventually picked up this beat up copy from Harley at one of the Minnesota shows. Maybe war rationing was affecting comics as well.

Fantastic! I really like the facial expressions and all the detail on this cover -- plus almost Itchy and Scratchy level of violence!

I see that it's a 2-issue Rural Home run -- I've never seen it before. GCD doesn't ID the cover but is it Dan Gordon? He (and also Harris Steinbrook, Jack Bradbury, Thurston Harper, Lynn Karp, Carl Wessler, Al Hubbard and Victor Pazmiño are listed on interiors. What a line-up!

Cover of 2 doesn't grab me as much.

Thanks for posting these.

Jack

it's not gordon. without pulling my reference files I'd say bradbury.

On the road but a moment to catch up.

Wow! Nice #1.

I agree about MJ and Sniffles -- often the best feature in LT&MM. Sometimes the title is better than WDC&S. A little edgier, more manic, more diverse. Some Disney comics are just too staid, especially the later ones.

A few LT&MM scans to supplement yours. I don't remember whether I've posted them in this thread.

Jack

Though they don't compare to Barks Ducks, Looney Tunes was still a fun run, and with Kelly showing up from time to time it is definitely worth looking at. Besides, I've always been a sucker for Mary Jane and Sniffles.

1.jpg

1b.jpg

123694.jpg.7a1e2fddd175743f0eda41b27359cd4c.jpg

123695.jpg.a642cd1e0f9cfe173f7a67980be46737.jpg

123696.jpg.003738966bdf1cd5a09b25750bdc3424.jpg

123697.jpg.d35488fb4293b10913f92da5e873a315.jpg

123698.jpg.0a5f67fd533221a0b65e159274247e5d.jpg