• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lets See Those Funny Animal Books!
2 2

1,993 posts in this topic

Cool!

:cool:

What were your favourite titles as a kid before you got into superheroes?

???

Here are scans of the very first two comics I bought as a kid (not the same copies of course):

CicerosCat1.jpg

CicerosCat2.jpg

:cloud9:

Edited by Hepcat

What were your favourite titles as a kid before you got into superheroes?

Early on I really didn't have a favorite. I liked all of them.

Some of the earliest comic books I remember owning were Angel, Bugs Bunny, Chilly Willy, Donald Duck, Lawman, Little Lulu, Mickey Mouse, New Funnies, Peanuts, Roy Rogers, Scamp, 77 Sunset Strip, Sugarfoot, Tarzan, Tom & Jerry, Tweety and Sylvester, Uncle Scrooge, WDC&S, Yogi Bear, Zorro, etc.

zorro.jpg

Here are scans of the very first two comics I bought as a kid (not the same copies of course):

CicerosCat1.jpg

CicerosCat2.jpg

I don't remember ever seeing Cicero's Cat when I was a kid.

In fact, I think the two you just posted might be the first issues I've ever seen of that title.

another series with lots of Gordon

scan624.jpg

won't bore you with many of these. most of the covers aren't very interesting....

scan625.jpg

I think they're interesting!

(shrug)

Edited by Hepcat

In fact, I think the two you just posted might be the first issues I've ever seen of that title.

Also the only two published unfortunately.

:(

Early on I really didn't have a favorite. I liked all of them.

Some of the earliest comic books I remember owning were Angel, Bugs Bunny, Chilly Willy, Donald Duck, Lawman, Little Lulu, Mickey Mouse, New Funnies, Peanuts, Roy Rogers, Scamp, 77 Sunset Strip, Sugarfoot, Tarzan, Tom & Jerry, Tweety and Sylvester, Uncle Scrooge, WDC&S, Yogi Bear, Zorro, etc.

Hmmmmm. I take it that Casper, Spooky, Hot Stuff and the other Harvey titles didn't appeal to you?

Some of the earliest comic books I remember owning were ... Zorro, etc.

zorro.jpg

But where did you get the picture? That isn't you, is it?

???

Edited by Hepcat

Hmmmmm. I take it that Casper, Spooky, Hot Stuff and the other Harvey titles didn't appeal to you?

I don't think our newsstands carried Harvey titles. I certainly don't remember ever seeing them, and I know I never read any of them. (shrug)

Yeah, the photo is me in the summer of 1958 with my parents and grandmother.

Also the only two published unfortunately.

If I had seen any Cicero's Cat comics on the newsstand, I probably would have purchased them.

When I was a youngster I enjoyed Mutt & Jeff and I've ended up collecting most of the issues.

Along about 1965 I met Al Smith and he autographed an issue for me.

muttjeff13.jpg

Mutt & Jeff #13 (Summer 1944)

Yeah, the photo is me in the summer of 1958 with with my parents and grandmother.

Wow! Is that ever cool!

(thumbs u

I received a Disney company magazine the other day with an article on the history of Goofy. I was surprised at the bottom to see a poster from the first solo Goofy cartoon as it is the cover of the only MMM in my collection.

I've posted the cover below

123813.jpg

Here are scans of some of my own Goofy comics:

03-06-201185628PM.jpg

03-06-201185631PM.jpg

File copy

03-06-201185634PM.jpg

:cool:

Edited by Hepcat

Were you looking for a higher grade copy? I believe I got this one from Jim Payette.

FoxandtheCrow2.jpg

Wow! Nice reds on your copy. I believe if I cracked the slab and placed the book in a mylar the reds would look sharper. I wanted at least a 5.0, but couln't find one.

Oh, the reds on your copy even from the angled pic look outstanding. It's one of the appeals of the cover. Congrats on holding out to find a decent grade one. As you say, not an easy book to find. :applause:

Oh, the reds on your copy even from the angled pic look outstanding. It's one of the appeals of the cover.
Red :cloud9: