• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lets See Those Funny Animal Books!
2 2

1,993 posts in this topic

Your Mary Jane and Sniffles is the one I'm used too, the earlier ones aren't as soft, Armstrong did the earlier ones, and Hubbard the later if I'm remembering correctly, I'm terrible at identifying artists.

Here they are from issue 1 before Mary Jane shared the billing.

1-9.jpg

Daffy was on the cover on early issues, but the only place he showed up inside was in the text piece illustrations. The first place i found him in a story was in the last panel of the super rabbit story in issue 5

5-2.jpg

His first speaking part was in issue 10. He was a long ways from what he would eventually evolve into.

10-1.jpg

Though they don't compare to Barks Ducks, Looney Tunes was still a fun run....

Sometimes the (LT&MM) title is better than WDC&S. A little edgier, more manic, more diverse. Some Disney comics are just too staid, especially the later ones.

I agree. Looney Tunes cartoons are certainly a lot better than Disney cartoons.

(thumbs u

I agree about MJ and Sniffles -- often the best feature in LT&MM.

123694.jpg

I love the Mary Jane & Sniffles panels! Evidently the Mary Jane & Sniffles strip continued to appear in Looney Tunes & Merrie Melodies up until issue #238 in July 1961.

Your Mary Jane and Sniffles is the one I'm used too, the earlier ones aren't as soft, Armstrong did the earlier ones, and Hubbard the later if I'm remembering correctly

Do you know with which issue Allan Hubbard started on the Mary Jane & Sniffles strip?

???

Edited by Hepcat

I love the Mary Jane & Sniffles panels! Up until which issue was the strip a regular feature in Looney Tunes & Merrie Melodies?

It made it just about to the end, the last issue with MJ and Sniffles was 238 from July 1961. After that they appeared in the Bug Bunny title.

Do you know with which issue Allan Hubbard started on the Mary Jane & Sniffles strip?

It was some time in the 1950's but I don't know which issue.

I love the Mary Jane & Sniffles panels! Up until which issue was the strip a regular feature in Looney Tunes & Merrie Melodies?

It made it just about to the end, the last issue with MJ and Sniffles was 238 from July 1961. After that they appeared in the Bug Bunny title.

Hah! You beat me to finding the answer to my own question! Probably from this cool website:

Don Markstein's Toonopedia

(thumbs u

Edited by Hepcat

Hah! You beat me to finding the answer to my own question! Probably from this cool website:

(thumbs u

Different site, same info. I had to look it up since 238 is one of the two issues I'm missing.

And Bugs started out looking exactly like the early animation character, issue 1 had the iconic Wabbit Hunt...

1-1.jpg

Thanks for all the scans. :applause:

Do you know if the illustration used for the Looney Tunes cover in this ad was ever printed full-sized anywhere?

looneytunessub.jpg

(thumbs u

Different site, same info. I had to look it up since 238 is one of the two issues I'm missing.

That deserves a smileyface -- 2 issues?!?!?! :ohnoez:(worship):whee::takeit:

JPS

Your Mary Jane and Sniffles is the one I'm used too, the earlier ones aren't as soft, Armstrong did the earlier ones, and Hubbard the later if I'm remembering correctly, I'm terrible at identifying artists.

Here they are from issue 1 before Mary Jane shared the billing.

1-9.jpg

Spot-checking GCD, Armstrong at least from #4 to #40, Tony Strobl (#108) and Tony Pabian (#116) and maybe others in the middle. Hubbard may start at #124.

I don't think Sniffles ever did his chatterbox shtick (from the cartoons) in the Mary Jane strip.

Jack

Do you know if the illustration used for the Looney Tunes cover in this ad was ever printed full-sized anywhere?

looneytunessub.jpg

Nope - that cover was just drawn for the ad, AFAIK, and I've never seen it as a full cover. Too bad, as it would have been a cool cover.