• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HERITAGE AUCTION BONANZA !!!! LETS SEE THE STATE OF THE OA MARKET

196 posts in this topic

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=7005&Lot_No=87237

lmao.

why dont u just purchase a velvet elvis?

hysterical!

These old Playboy covers are better than GOLD, I tell ya. Whatever you say about comic books being Americana goes 10x for Playboy. The Playboy rabbit is the second most recognizable American brand behind Coca-Cola. It makes your Spider-Man look like "Spider-Who?" Pretty soon these covers will be selling for MILLIONS of dollars each!! The deflation/inflation/hyperinflation currency debasement Wave C Grand Supercycle is coming! Buy your Americana, because it's GOLD, baby, GOLD!!

:yeahok:

Spider-man aint going bankrupt,.....PlayBoy,...maybe.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ta?s=PLA&t=my

Hard to maintain a foothold on a brand franchise when your,..........dead & buried. :baiting:

In all seriousness, though, being a collector of illustration art as well as comic book art, Gil Elvgren paintings selling at half off from 9 months ago is really going to provide some serious competition for my collecting $$$. By the way, only one of the three Alberto Vargas paintings from the Playboy Collection managed to sell (below the low end of estimates) as well. These are the two titans of pin-up/GGA art! The next auction in May is going to be interesting - will the downtrend continue or has buyer apathy/seller panic reached some kind of extreme as it may have (for now) in the stock market as well. hm

I will say that I found one price in the auction to be very strong - the Maurice "Where the Wild Things Are" Sendak illustration sold for almost $75K. It features one of the "Wild Things" characters but isn't in the book (I should know as I bought a copy a couple of weeks ago to check, as I was thinking of bidding on this lot).

I will say that I found one price in the auction to be very strong - the Maurice "Where the Wild Things Are" Sendak illustration sold for almost $75K. It features one of the "Wild Things" characters but isn't in the book (I should know as I bought a copy a couple of weeks ago to check, as I was thinking of bidding on this lot).

Hah! More movie hype? Sheesh.

Those Wild Things Are Here

I am curious that I have not seen lot 145 the following auction discussed anywhere:

http://www.world-encheres.com/millon/vo21032009/asp/index.asp

This could very easily bring more than any US piece of OA ever sold at auction.

Well, these boards have a pretty US-centric focus.

I wasn't even aware of that particular auction house, though I am interested in hearing about European comic art so please do post on any other items like this.

I am curious that I have not seen lot 145 the following auction discussed anywhere:

Tb, what's your opinion of value? I haven't a clue what that page might be worth.

I like herge well enough although it would be far down the list of things I would collect, even if I had the means to collect herge at these prices

Herge ... :cloud9:

Here is the link to the specific item that TB was referring to. Even an average Tintin page will bring in big money. The pre-auction estimate on this page is 130,000 Euros - 140,000 Euros which roughly translates to US$170,000 - US$180,000.

Cheers!

N

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:TjLL4K2TyAQJ:www.artvalue.com/detail-resultat--2289945-HERGE-REMI-Georges-HERGE-Tintin-Le-Sceptre-d-Drouot-Montaigne-Bandes-21032009.htm+herge+millon+lot+145&cd=15&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Tb, what's your opinion of value? I haven't a clue what that page might be worth.

I like herge well enough although it would be far down the list of things I would collect, even if I had the means to collect herge at these prices

Bronty: Original pages are extremely rare with very few specimens circulating in private collections (the is a gorgeous page from the Moon storyline if you search comicartfans.com). Moreover, they are considered national treasures by a much broader segment of the population than has ever heard of comics OA in the US. This is only the second full story page I have ever seen for sale and it is by far the most attractive. The combination of rarity, quality and desirability means that it is very hard to put a price on it. I doubt it would come close to the ~$1 mio. that the "Tintin in America" cover sold for in 2007 but, as far as I remember, that result was many multiples of the estimate. I am far from an expert myself and would love to hear from someone who knows the market better.

Bronty: Original pages are extremely rare with very few specimens circulating in private collections (the is a gorgeous page from the Moon storyline if you search comicartfans.com). Moreover, they are considered national treasures by a much broader segment of the population than has ever heard of comics OA in the US. This is only the second full story page I have ever seen for sale and it is by far the most attractive. The combination of rarity, quality and desirability means that it is very hard to put a price on it. I doubt it would come close to the ~$1 mio. that the "Tintin in America" cover sold for in 2007 but, as far as I remember, that result was many multiples of the estimate. I am far from an expert myself and would love to hear from someone who knows the market better.

Certainly, I figured as much to warrant that kind of a price tag, and like you I am very interested in learning more :) But its not my bag. Now if others like the pages more power to them.

this is not really correct in teh way that you have stated.

Yes, specimans circulating in private collections are scarce, however the pages are not rare as defined by the meaning of the term as the family has many many pages as does another private entity.

However the market in Herge art is very carefully controlled for the specific purpose of keeping prices high.

this is the same as when you couldn't buy a Gary Trudeau strip or Bloom County strips. So the prices were fairly high on these strips in the beginning when they started to sell them

However, as both Trudeau & Breathed released strips into the market, the market price reached a plateau.

The Herge people have controlled the market much better and because of that, and because Tin-Tin is more popular in Europe and elsewhere than Spider-Man will ever be and is even considered a national treasure - prices on this material is through the roof.

By the way, does anyone here remember the scandal of the big Herge auction years back that allegedly had prices resulting from collusion and outright fraud??

I visited the "strip museum" in Brussels last year. It was an absolutely amazing experience in that I've never seen such a celebration of original art before. I have not visited GEM, but from the pictures I've seen the presentation (and certainly the architecture) in the Brussels museum looked much nicer.

Anyway, my point is that my only disappointment was that not a single Tintin original was on display. I knew that Moulinart, who manages Herge's estate, owns the vast amount of existing originals and it seemed rather stingy that they would not lend a single piece to anotherwise gorgeous Tintin exhibit. I was not aware that collectors were controlling the auction market. I phrased my previous post as I did because my understanding is that the art owned by Moulinart is no more likely to be offered for sale than the British Crown Jewels.

Thanks for your input, comicartcom!