• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Locke & Key appreciation thread
2 2

2,982 posts in this topic

how many 9.8s of the first print are there ?.. I look on ebay but never see any at a decent price

There are 121 CGC copies out there of #1. I would recommend getting a Signature Series copy of it with Joe Hill's and Gabriel Rodriguez's sig on it though. There is only 23 of those 9.8's and Gabriel doesn't make it from Chile a lot for conventions(in fact, the 2008 SDCC was his only one to date).

I noticed subtle changes in art from the original Locke & Key #1 from Gabriel Rodriguez in the "Legacy" edition that I didn't notice in the "Special Edition" last year. Al Grubb isn't so bloody in one scene, the ghost that appears in Sam Lesser's detention cell's sink doesn't have leaf-made crown and she doesn't speak in ill-constructed words either. It now makes the first print #1 feel a little more special and unique when they do reprints like this.
I see the Locke & Key #1 2nd print doesn't have the changes in the Special Edition and the Legacy Edition either. This makes it go up in value in my book because of the edge factor of the "edited violence". There was changes to the art and word balloons to the colorized reprint version of Joe's story "Freddy Wertham Goes to Hell"(originally from Grave Tales #6) in the Special Edition too. These are truly Modern Age variants because of the different content inside.

Joe Hill, Gabriel Rodriguez "Locke & Key: Crown of Shadows"

Estimated arrival date: September 13 2010 - September 30 2010

Stupid amazon! I can not wait that long! But then does anyone know where I can get it for 16.29 plus free shipping to Canada ? .. Yes I am a cheap sob :D

We thought you'd like to know we shipped your items, and that this

completes your order.

1 Godland Celestial Edition Vol 2

1 Locke & Key: Crown of Shadows

!

Yay! Both books are a huge surprise! Godland wasn't due out till the end of the month & LK wasn't due out till the 13th! Ha!

i bought the latest one, read the first page or two and questioned whether i might not be getting the whole thing without reading the prior issues. as there are not a huge number of them (or a couple of TPBs) this seems doable. thoughts anyone? can i jump in with last weeks issue or do i really need to read the earlier stuff.

i have decided i'm doing this with WD. i have read a couple of issues in the 60's and 70's and I think I'd prefer to read it from #1, so I've been using my border's discount codes, coupons, gift cards and have picked up tpb volume 1 and 2. i prefer floppies, so I figure it won't be too hard to pick up the couple that I've missed floppy-wise after issue 60 and do the rest via TPB over time...unless I hit a motherload of cheap WD back issues at some show (probably unlikely unless an accident as shops that do not even have back issues seem to keep WD up on the shelf 3 or 4 years after they were printed. one shop i go to once in a blue moon that basically doesn't have back issues still has a few issues from the 20s on the rack (they're a bit dinged up at this point, which is why I haven't bought them)

Although, the new book is a stand alone issue, I agree with synch that you should get the first volume "Welcome To Lovecraft". The first four issues from that arc alone pretty much gets you emotionally attached to the trio of children for further issues that come. Highly recommended.

LOCKE & KEY: KEYS TO THE KINGDOM #2 plot is available now.

"On a bitter winter day, Kinsey Locke encounters a madwoman who just might be able to unlock the darkest secrets of Keyhouse. But forcing the truth out of her won’t be easy, and besides... Dodge has no intention of ever giving Erin Voss a chance to tell what she knows."

Erin Voss was one of Rendell Locke's high school friends from 1988.

Erin Voss... Erin Voss... Erin Voss... :eek:

It's coming out October 20th. :wishluck:

Does anyone know what two issues of Locke & Key G.I. Joe's Snake Eyes made appearances in? hm

Hmm, I don't remember that.

Snake Eyes is all over Joe the Barbarian though.

Pat

He made an appearance in the Locke & Key short-story "In The Can", which was from the little known floppy sampler "IDW: First 10 Years" and Dodge briefly materialized as Snake Eyes in Locke & Key: Crown of Shadows #3(he also turned into Jughead from the Archie comics too, lol ).

Yes dude always start with #1 :)first volume :) so worth it for any series !

in olden times it wasn't that hard to pick up in the middle of a series, at least for marvels. it does seem harder nowadays, although I found nothing confusing about Goon whilst starting at like # 15, just fun.

Trades & hard covers work just as well if you simply want to read the book :)

I do a cost benefit analysis. As a collector I prefer the originals and if I can get them in nice shape cheaper than a TPB, I go that route. hence, i bought the TPB of WD 1 - 12.

you can get a trade or hc from amazon for like $15 ... one lone book costs how much ?.. You can't tell me that is not cheaper :D Also I read the HC & didn't notice a thing... heck if not for you're post I'd never even have known :D Its not like some more blood affects the art or the story at all either (shrug) just my 2c

hey would anyone here have a #1 first print cgc 9.8 for sale by chance ?.. Looking for one at a decent price ...

PM me if ya have one for sale :)

Edited by synch