• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Locke & Key appreciation thread
2 2

2,982 posts in this topic

Interesting - heard it was coming out but haven't searched for anything.

Here's more (this was published in August, 2009 so may or may not be outdated info):

Frazetta Comics will present two new one-shots at an unspecified point in 2010. The first is "Frank Frazetta's Kodiak," which is written by Joe Hill of "Locke & Key." "Joe and I have been working on 'Locke & Key' together for a while; we just finished up the second series, 'Head Games,'" Fotos said. "I love his work, so it was a no brainer to ask him if he would be interested in Frazetta Comics. Thankfully, he was."

Frazetta enthusiasts might be scratching their heads at the unfamiliar name "Kodiak," and they'd have valid reason. The story is actually inspired by Frazetta's painting "The Bear," departing from that original name for the comic book version. "I think we are more of the sticklers on that kind of stuff than Frank," Fotos admitted. "We try and stay true to the original painting names, but 'Frank Frazetta's Kodiak' sounds so much cooler than 'Frank Frazetta's The Bear.'"

Joining Hill on "Kodiak" is co-writer Jason Ciaramella and artist Nick Stakal. The story is filled with "flame, fur and ferocity," as Fotos described it. The plot centers on a betrayed young man who is forced into battle against a vicious Kodiak bear, with only the love of a fair maiden able to sustain him through the vicious altercation. "'Kodiak' is your classic EC Comics noir story that obviously stars a giant Kodiak bear," Fotos said. "But if you know Joe's work, it's more than that. I don't want to give too much away."

I also thought this was an interesting statement from Hill at last year's SDCC interview:

"One man asked what "Locke and Key" would cross over with, if Hill could do anything he wanted. Hill had the perfect answer. "They find the key to the Fortress of Solitude. Wouldn't that be awesome?"

Yes... it would.

I was like :ohnoez: , when I saw the variant list for August 25th,

Locke & Key Keys To The Kingdom #1 (Gabriel Rodriguez Regular Cover)

Locke & Key Keys To The Kingdom #1 25 COPY INCENTIVE

Locke & Key Keys To The Kingdom #1 100 COPY INCENTIVE

Locke & Key Keys To The Kingdom #1 250 COPY INCENTIVE

Locke & Key Welcome To Lovecraft #1 (Legacy Edition)(Gabriel Rodriguez Regular Cover), it's the $1 comic

...but quickly realized they were doing something other than variant issues.

1 in 100 "Ghost Keys"!!!

I haven't been to my LCS in quite awhile but it's on my pull list ... another shipment gone awry?
Looking like like it.

Anyone get a Locke & Key: COS #6?
Was that supposed to be today? No, I didn't see them..... :eek:
Yes and no. The creative team said yes, Diamond said no. Scattershot places got the 1:10 variant, but no regular edition. (shrug) Actually, the book was due out on June 14th and Diamond has been blamed as with the other two book delays.

Can't wait until Hastings gets involved. :eek:

Gabriel Rodriguez commented,

"This time it wasn’t IDW’s or Diamond’s fault, but a printer mistake. More than half of the shipment was wrongly printed and had to be destroyed, so some copies will be available this week, and the rest will be arriving in upcoming weeks…"