• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Watchmen Original Art -- more or less desirable now?

276 posts in this topic

Not to me! I enjoy the color guides and would even buy them separately but they don't make or break a piece in the least. I wouldn't even frame them together since the presentation would be too large for me.

So here's a follow-up: Let's say you're the winning bidder on a page with no color guide. After the auctinon, the seller then reveals he has the CG and hits you up for an extra $500 to include it.

Would you take it? Would you be pissed at the seller? Would you just tell them to eBay it and you'll take your chances?

The winner don't have any right to be pissed (not that that would stop a comic collector, who typically need very little or no reason to become upset), as they were bidding on a very clearly described auction. If the winner felt that the colour guide was worth the $500, perhaps they would buy it. At auction, from what I've seen, solo colour guides don't go for more than $500 unless they contain Rorschach.

For any other book/series, this question is not asked or of any concern at all. Because the pages and CG's were packaged together when originally sold 20 years ago, they became linked. Further, most OA collectors seem to believe that CG's are of 0 value, and thus Watchmen should be the same way. I would say that CG's and Watchmen art are a fun oddity, like buying a bottle of liquor and getting a small sample bottle attached at no extra charge: a fun bonus that you'll take, but the lack of a bonus wouldn't prevent you from buying the liquor.

Of course, because the CG's were sold together all those years ago, it seems to have legitimized the CG art; how else could you explain the fact that people have paid good money for a 1/1 print of John Higgins computerized recolouring job from the Absolute Edition? That is something I would never spend more than $10 on, let alone a figure up to $1000.

Of course, because the CG's were sold together all those years ago, it seems to have legitimized the CG art; how else could you explain the fact that people have paid good money for a 1/1 print of John Higgins computerized recolouring job from the Absolute Edition? That is something I would never spend more than $10 on, let alone a figure up to $1000.

Yeah, this seems to be the way things have been going in the digital age. There are entire galleries of artists whose work is digital and the prints are 1/1. In the comic-art world, Dave McKean's Sandman covers (the 1/1 printouts, not the mixed media collages) have been selling for several thousands of dollars for a while now.

So here's a follow-up: Let's say you're the winning bidder on a page with no color guide. After the auctinon, the seller then reveals he has the CG and hits you up for an extra $500 to include it.

Would you take it? Would you be pissed at the seller? Would you just tell them to eBay it and you'll take your chances?

This is almost exactly what happened to me. I was bidding on a page on Ebay. While the auction was running, the seller noted that he had the color guide as well. He would sell it for another $500 to the winner if they wanted it.

It was a bit annoying, but not a big deal. I got it out of convenience. If it was being auctioned separately, I wouldn't have bothered.

I have some pages with color guides and some without. They're cool to have since they were originally sold with the OA, but I've never considered them essential.

Seeing how I'm the new kid on the block, and am not taking anything away from those of you who have recently purchased Watchman pages, but with the movie hype the last few mo's, is it not a bad time to purchase a Watchman page? I can only correlate this into comic collecting, which is what I've mostly done up until recently.

Just curious, and again no disrespect intended. (and yes I did read this thread, especially one of the first few posts....). Again just curious what you all think.

Of course you don't want to buy during a hyped up time, although that's also when the best stuff becomes available. Since it's one of a kind, you may need to pony up to get it if it's the page you absolutely want. In addition, unlike books, I think the bounce back in the months after the hype wears off is only minimal. Most prices don't plummet like they do with books, but rather have a modest correction. Just my 2 cents from what I've seen with other movies and books and art.

This is almost exactly what happened to me. I was bidding on a page on Ebay. While the auction was running, the seller noted that he had the color guide as well. He would sell it for another $500 to the winner if they wanted it.

It was a bit annoying, but not a big deal. I got it out of convenience. If it was being auctioned separately, I wouldn't have bothered.

I have some pages with color guides and some without. They're cool to have since they were originally sold with the OA, but I've never considered them essential.

Hmm what do they generally sell for. Would a color guide sell for $500 to a person who didn't have the OA?

A fellow boardie sent me this link...for anyone who doesn't check CAF everyday, here you go:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=560833&GSub=55260

"Do not ask me how much I am selling this page for. Please make me an offer." Anybody know what a fair offer would be?

(Just being nosy; I liked the movie, loved the graphic novel, can't afford to make an offer.)