• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why cant ebay sellers with 1000's of feedback mail books to canada!!!

109 posts in this topic

if you live close to the US border I guess you could drive across and get a PO box.

What about the tariffs? Is that just levied on packages going through the Canadian postal service, or would the border agents want a cut of what you are bringing over in a car (or whatever) ???

-slym

Anyone that refuses to ship to Canada can go themselves. I can't believe the whining regarding filling out forms & standing in line at the PO. Boo hoo. rantrant

I print labels online and never have to stand in line at the post office. I actually don't go to the post office. I usually just hit the closest mail store and drop off the packages. It is also almost always cheaper to print your labels online as well. (shrug)

Well since I just blew my comic budget for the year on our sales forums, All American 61 I will mention what I was looking at right now. Firestorm 61 test logo, the person did not list the number, search firestorm test will show it. The other book is a CGC 9.8 Lin-Ger-Re cover for $100. That is the book I would have paid $150 for sure, and probably $200 for. But after spending 10x that amount I wont be buying anything for a long time.

Bruce

I print labels online and never have to stand in line at the post office. I actually don't go to the post office. I usually just hit the closest mail store and drop off the packages. It is also almost always cheaper to print your labels online as well. (shrug)

That works well for domestic shipping, but for "international," you still have to fill out forms and hand them over to the PO itself. Otherwise, I do the same thing, except I don't go anywhere to drop off my packages - the mailman comes to my house 6 days a week! Of course, I have never handed over more then 3 or 4 packages at once...

(thumbs u

-slym

That works well for domestic shipping, but for "international," you still have to fill out forms and hand them over to the PO itself. Otherwise, I do the same thing, except I don't go anywhere to drop off my packages - the mailman comes to my house 6 days a week! Of course, I have never handed over more then 3 or 4 packages at once...

(thumbs u

-slym

I have mailed packages to Canada and the UK with labels (and the paperwork) printed online and never had a problem.(Other than the USPS or Canada Post dancing on one box) The customs forms take maybe a minute to fill out. Print 3 or 4 (4 I think) copies, slap the label on and drop them off at the mail store. (shrug)

if you live close to the US border I guess you could drive across and get a PO box.

What about the tariffs? Is that just levied on packages going through the Canadian postal service, or would the border agents want a cut of what you are bringing over in a car (or whatever) ???

-slym

I never crossed the border at either end so I wouldnt know. I assume you drive over, pick up your mail I.E. Comic Book and drive back home. Do they search the car so good they will find a comic book and try to tariff it?

I've never understood all the moaning and complaining by US sellers over having to actually go to the PO to mail something to Canada.

I have to go to the PO no matter where I'm shipping to(even within Canada) and I don't find it to be a big deal.

US buyers that forget to sign money orders, or send ones that are for domestic use only get kind of annoying though. doh!

I've never understood all the moaning and complaining by US sellers over having to actually go to the PO to mail something to Canada.

I have seen a total of three people in this thread that have said something to the effect of it's a hassle, but they'll do it. I don't really see that as moaning and complaining..... and plenty of us that say we are glad to do it.

(shrug)

-slym

I have seen a total of three people in this thread that have said something to the effect of it's a hassle, but they'll do it. I don't really see that as moaning and complaining..... and plenty of us that say we are glad to do it.

(shrug)

-slym

Some won't ship out of the US and I'm sure it costs them money in the long run. There are plenty of Canadian or overseas buyers on this board. It's a hassle for Canadians to buy comics from the US. The higher US $, stupid shipping costs and those commie pinko customs guys holding our books for hostage. :cry:

Some (sellers) won't ship out of the US and I'm sure it costs them money in the long run.

Agreed! Shipping worldwide ups the chance of getting higher bids/any bids at all. I have a Canadian currently as the high bidder on my Marvels HC over on eBay.

There are plenty of Canadian or overseas buyers on this board. It's a hassle for Canadians to buy comics from the US. The higher US $, stupid shipping costs and those commie pinko customs guys holding our books for hostage. :cry:

I can certainly understand that! I just feel that most of us Americans don't have too much problem with it from our end.

;)

-slym (grammatical qualifiers are a must, sometimes) lol

SERIOUS QUESTION TO ALL THE CANADIANS - what is the best way to keep the customs agents from levying those extra tariffs on your comics, that we US sellers can do? Mark the package as a gift or something else, does the shipping "container" matter, i.e., is a Global Priorty Mail envelope pr box not as 'high-profile' than a shipping container for candy... or is there no solid method, and it's just chance?

-slym

I can certainly understand that! I just feel that most of us Americans don't have too much problem with it from our end.

This is not true. I'm not sure how many different ways I have to say it.

I have a specific hobby where Ebay is really my only buying option. I'm not exaggerating when I say that 70% of the items I come across that I'm interested in are "US only". I email them, some will sell to me, many won't. Often, in the process of sending the email, the item I want is snagged since the hobby I buy for doesn't have set FMVs, an people often don't know how to price their stuff. So even if they will ship to me, which doesn't happen often, I tend to miss out by the time the seller gets back to me. And very often, those who will ship to me will only do so at an extremely exorbitant shipping price; we're talking $30 for a DVD-sized item.

When you have a hobby where Ebay is the only real way to collect, when you constantly miss out on very tough to find items and find yourself never getting deals on worldwide listings for the same items because of competing international bids, when you're constantly being told to basically f-off by sellers who have 1/10th the ebay experience you do, and when you have to deal with higher shipping costs and fluctuating currencies ON TOP of all that stuff, then perhaps you'll get a glimpse at the whole picture for us "internationals" and why some of us have little tolerance for the dreaded "US only" guideline.

The answer, as ever, is to have a US agent.

Even that sounds more complicated than it is.

Just gather stuff up every couple of months, or "shipment worthy amount" and send it that way.

And shipping out of the states IS scary, especially with Paypal's draconian regulations.

I had one guy in Australia (and I love Aussies) buy a Fathom book from me, then complain because I made him follow the terms stated in the auction that required a minimum of Global Priority with Insurance. I told him I would be happy to keep the book, and he paid.

Net profit on that book to me: -$35.

SERIOUS QUESTION TO ALL THE CANADIANS - what is the best way to keep the customs agents from levying those extra tariffs on your comics, that we US sellers can do? Mark the package as a gift or something else, does the shipping "container" matter, i.e., is a Global Priorty Mail envelope pr box not as 'high-profile' than a shipping container for candy... or is there no solid method, and it's just chance?

-slym

Declaring the item as a gift usually works. I also like to declare the item as a book rather than a comic book, I think most customs agents know comic books are widely collected. When I ship to the US or overseas I often write "Happy Birthday" in big letters on the front of the box.

I have a specific hobby where Ebay is really my only buying option. I'm not exaggerating when I say that 70% of the items I come across that I'm interested in are "US only". I email them, some will sell to me, many won't. Often, in the process of sending the email, the item I want is snagged since the hobby I buy for doesn't have set FMVs, an people often don't know how to price their stuff. So even if they will ship to me, which doesn't happen often, I tend to miss out by the time the seller gets back to me. And very often, those who will ship to me will only do so at an extremely exorbitant shipping price; we're talking $30 for a DVD-sized item.

When you have a hobby where Ebay is the only real way to collect, when you constantly miss out on very tough to find items and find yourself never getting deals on worldwide listings for the same items because of competing international bids, when you're constantly being told to basically f-off by sellers who have 1/10th the ebay experience you do, and when you have to deal with higher shipping costs and fluctuating currencies ON TOP of all that stuff, then perhaps you'll get a glimpse at the whole picture for us "internationals" and why some of us have little tolerance for the dreaded "US only" guideline.

Well stated as always. Unless it is an item I must have I don't bother contacting the seller.

Well, we both seem to be talking from personal experience, so we won't convince the other one of anything, it looks like.

Take it from me - I would ship to you.

;)

-slym