• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ROLE CALL for Adams' collectors....

110 posts in this topic

I'm a die-hard Adams fan. I was a fan before I met him at BayCon2 in 1976, where he was nice enough to draw a little sketch of Batman under his sig (after explaining that DC forbade him from doing sketches for fans).

Did he say why DC did not want him doing sketches for fans? Very cool that he did one anyway. cool.gif

After completing my MTIO and MTU runs, I can definitely see myself picking up some of Adam's work. I recently picked up a NM Conan #37 and an Avengers #93 CGC 9.0 White thumbsup2.gif

I don't consider myself an Adams collector, but Lantern just acquired a Conan 37 for me. The yellow cover is astoundingly bright and deep!

Oh Yeah, I'm an Adams collector -- but interiors only. When the cover is the only good thing in a book, I just don't care about it.

I had Neal sign my copies of Our Army at War 182 & Avengers 93 at last month's con in NY... cloud9.gif

I have most of his interior work books from DC & Marvel... he was the best of his time.... thumbsup2.gif

yeah definately adams collector, but only DC & warren work, and mostly pre 1973. I was just gazing at my VF copies of GL76, bats 232, 255 & tec400 last night cloud9.gif

news.gif

I'll be picking up a Warren piece of Adams original art tonight and it will be 4 sale. Scan forthcoming.

I think everyone loves his batman covers - for me its the emerald masterpiece bats 232. After that his horror stuff, and the GL, JLA stuff. I dont like his superman stuff, but thats probably because I don't like Superman shocked.gif ya I know I know. I only have 25 supes books in my collection - which came in a collection I purchased and they will all be on Ebay in the New Year tongue.gif.

Lets just say hes one of three ppl who I would purchase Original Art, with Steranko and Perez being the two others............. Again I'd have more of his books, But between Bonds and Kev, well you ain't gonna snipe a Adams on their watch lemme tell you.

Did he say why DC did not want him doing sketches for fans? Very cool that he did one anyway. cool.gif

Bear in mind I was 12 at the time, so the memory's a bit hazy. My brother had just scored a sketch of The Green Goblin from John Romita Sr., so I had to one-up him somehow smile.gif I got up the nerve to ask Adams for a picture of Batman, and he somewhat brusquely explained that "DC won't let me do that." He may have muttered something about copyright infringement, I can't recall. Then he signed his name, drew a profile shot of Batman's head/shoulders, and smiled as he pushed it toward me. Very cool of him, I thought. At that same show I met Frank Brunner, Jim Starlin, Gil Kane, Jack Kirby and several others...all were cool except Brunner... I got a page of Ghost Rider (issue 17 I think) original art from Kane for $12 or $15, and Kirby signed half a dozen FFs between issues 60 and 100.

These tend to be tough; Early Adams Tomahawks,DC Superspec 5, a few Challengers, some early horror, Batman 222,238 and a few Detectives around 400 and a few others I can't think of right now