• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

O'Barr's "The Crow" love
7 7

2,755 posts in this topic

I'm thinking that perhaps the visitors to this thread may appreciate a neat piece of original art I picked up a while back. It's not The Crow... it predates The Crow by quite a bit. Although I've always wanted a Crow page and never found one that had the right combination of eye appeal and affordability for me, I did manage to acquire a couple really early O'Barr submission pieces.

ObarrBarbarianSketch.jpg

I picked up this piece along with another one, which O'Barr had sent to California Comics in the 70's, hoping to be hired as a comic book artist. Back in the 90's I was lucky to have found this piece, along with a companion piece and O'Barr's original handwritten letter and postmarked envelope from the submission.

Wow. Early submission from the artist-yet-to-be? That's really awesome.

only one? :(

Maybe someone good at grading can pull me 3 copies worthy of 9.8 and I'll join CGC and send them in with my coupon...I know I aint gonna find them in Oklahoma.

It would be a waste to spend your 3 express coupons on those books - they can all be submitted under the regular Modern tier. Save your express coupons for higher value, pre-1980 books :thumbsup:

Maybe someone good at grading can pull me 3 copies worthy of 9.8 and I'll join CGC and send them in with my coupon...I know I aint gonna find them in Oklahoma.

It would be a waste to spend your 3 express coupons on those books - they can all be submitted under the regular Modern tier. Save your express coupons for higher value, pre-1980 books :thumbsup:

Thanks for the pro tip...now where to find 9.8 tundra crows...

Thanks for the pro tip...now where to find 9.8 tundra crows...

Good luck. They're a batch.

I have a 9.6 Crow #4 coming back from the Crow Reunion a couple of months ago. It was supposed to have 5 sigs, but it only has two - Ernie Hudson and Tony Todd. Pics when it gets back.

I apologize for my access to the SS program. :sorry:

I have a 9.6 Crow #4 coming back from the Crow Reunion a couple of months ago. It was supposed to have 5 sigs, but it only has two - Ernie Hudson and Tony Todd. Pics when it gets back.

What happened to the rest of the crow gang? Did Fun Boy bail?

One of them bailed (the one that had never previously made an appearance - if that was FunBoy) two of them left early before the rep tried to do the book. :cry:

One of them bailed (the one that had never previously made an appearance - if that was FunBoy) two of them left early before the rep tried to do the book. :cry:

MIchael Masse (Fun Boy) was the real get. He's been extremely reluctant to sign Crow-related material in the past given what happened to Brandon Lee.

Not a "Crow" piece, but I picked this up from O'Barr this past summer at our local con. I'm proud to say he is a customer of mine, as he listens to audiobooks while he works. :)

scan0001-1.jpg

Very nice! Wow to have James O'Barr as a customer,awesome. :applause:

Not a "Crow" piece, but I picked this up from O'Barr this past summer at our local con. I'm proud to say he is a customer of mine, as he listens to audiobooks while he works. :)

scan0001-1.jpg

Thanks Dave! He has a new Western he is working on, Chris can probably tell people much more about that than I can. But I believe this character is part of that Western.

scan0001-1.jpg

Thanks Dave! He has a new Western he is working on, Chris can probably tell people much more about that than I can. But I believe this character is part of that Western.

Dang! (worship)

A western? hm

Goth Western...I'll buy it.

Yeah. He had some of the originals, but was unwilling to part with any of them (yet). I did not want to be pushy or rude, but I told him to please keep me in mind if he decided to sell.

After looking at the art work for it, I really wish he would have worked on King's "Dark Tower" a bit. Would have been awesome imo.

Goth Western...I'll buy it.

Yeah. He had some of the originals, but was unwilling to part with any of them (yet). I did not want to be pushy or rude, but I told him to please keep me in mind if he decided to sell.

After looking at the art work for it, I really wish he would have worked on King's "Dark Tower" a bit. Would have been awesome imo.

King and O'Barr would have been excellent.

Just so everyone that collects Crow knows, I posted this proposal in the registry section.

So what's the thoughts on having three Crow sets to meet various needs like the Walking Dead collectors have done?

- Set 1: The core books that launched The Crow (no side stories, previews, reprints, etc.). So Caliber Presents 1 and Crow 1-4.

- Set 2: All the books tied to the early Crow appearances, including Deadworld #10, A Caliber Christmas #1, Caliber Presents #15, Death Rattle Vol. 3 #3, and I hope Crow Tundra #3 since it completes the first chapter. But no reprints.

- Set 3: Anything-everything Crow that is graded, including reprints, later series, etc. This way, a die-hard Crow fan can capture all of their books in one registry, including later stories.

Would that work?

Since this would impact the two existing Crow sets, I didn't want anyone surprised, nor not provide time to contribute feedback in advance of any decision.

So far we have four people supporting this idea, but I don't consider that a final decision yet (Peter Palmer, Devilsrain, Newenglandgothic, and myself).