• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Youre Final thoughts on Action # 1 "6.0" Results.

118 posts in this topic

In a fit of dissapointment over the early rejection of the Superman character Joe Shuster destoyed all of the original artwork from Action 1.

Peter I'm not sure if you're serious or not.

The most impressive pieces of artwork ive ever seen being that so little golden age exsists I would say is the original artwork for the cover of Planet comics # 1 owned by Mr Jon Berk and the original interior artwork for page 1 of Marvel comics # 1. Yep,I said no.1 ! Owned by the Mannerinos formerly owned by J.P

I've read about the sale in every Toronto newspaper, it's on every Toronto newscast, I'm sure it's also been in every other major paper in North America (at the very least) .........and just 5 minutes ago I heard them talk about it for 5 minutes on Howard Stern............can only be ALL GOOD for our hobby!!
my dad in OH called me today to "explain" all about it... I didn't have the heart to tell him.. :cry:

Didn't want him to know you were a Loser :baiting:

....... a loser 'cause he'd be willing to drop 317K on a comic book of all things??

:baiting:

Cuz he came in second. :sumo:

my dad still remembers buying me my first comic, Silver Surfer #1 in 1973 at the flea market...

and it was all down hill from there---thus born the Gator :devil:

"gator" wasn't born until I went to Uof F in 1985... my dad graduated from Unv of Georgia, so i was a Bulldog first (can any one say Herchel!)

Herchel Walker was baaaad! Only guy I know who never lifted weights and did 2,000 sit ups and 1500 push-ups each day :sumo: Horrible east-west runner though.

Rodney Hampton and Garrison Hearst weren't bad either...oh, and Terrell Davis was a former Bulldog too...

Yes, the top two panels. Not sure if that panel was actually used in Action 1, Superman 1 or its 1st newspaper appearence in jan ,1939...All 3 had the same panels in them

Right. But if it's the actual art and not a stat why make a distinction between the 3, unless you're saying it was redrawn / there are different versions...? The art is the art, no?

It could easily have been redrawn for each.Shusters art was simple and quick.He did redraw that panel more than once. However I am not sure if its actually the very panel from action 1.If I remember it sold like 20 years ago or more for 190k?

In a fit of dissapointment over the early rejection of the Superman character Joe Shuster destoyed all of the original artwork from Action 1.

Huh?

The way I've heard the story is that Siegel & Shuster developed an original conception for Superman which they tried to market as a strip. It went nowhere. Frustrated and upset, Shuster destroyed almost all of the art relating to this original conception, although a couple of examples remain.

THEN, they developed the now classic version of Superman which they marketed as a strip. After early strip rejections, they got the gig for Action 1. To make the strip art work in a comic format, they cut up the strip pages into panels so they could be repasted into comic format. And that's how the art appeared in Action 1. This conception of Superman was never "rejected" by anyone, but remained a monthly feature of Action Comics.

A few of the cut up panels have surfaced, but, as with so much old original art, no one knows what happened to the rest. I've never heard that Shuster had a second bought of art destruction.

Huh?

The way I've heard the story is that Siegel & Shuster developed an original conception for Superman which they tried to market as a strip. It went nowhere. Frustrated and upset, Shuster destroyed almost all of the art relating to this original conception, although a couple of examples remain.

THEN, they developed the now classic version of Superman which they marketed as a strip. After early strip rejections, they got the gig for Action 1. To make the strip art work in a comic format, they cut up the strip pages into panels so they could be repasted into comic format. And that's how the art appeared in Action 1. This conception of Superman was never "rejected" by anyone, but remained a monthly feature of Action Comics.

A few of the cut up panels have surfaced, but, as with so much old original art, no one knows what happened to the rest. I've never heard that Shuster had a second bought of art destruction.

Sounds more likely. The artwork for Action 1 would have been made after the concept had already been accepted. Thus no reason to destroy it.

I've read about the sale in every Toronto newspaper, it's on every Toronto newscast, I'm sure it's also been in every other major paper in North America (at the very least) .........and just 5 minutes ago I heard them talk about it for 5 minutes on Howard Stern............can only be ALL GOOD for our hobby!!

You're right this thread needs a bump.

bumpqe8.gif

bumpqe8.gif

OMG!!! That's too funny!!!

bumpqe8.gif

OMG!!! That's too funny!!!

I bet she washed her face for an hour when she got home.

MY FINAL THOUGHTS ARE THIS IS THE HOLY GRAIL OF THE HOBBY AND WHO KNOWS HOW HIGH THE PRICE WILL GO???!!!!????

ACTION 1 IS SIMPLY THE BEST BOOK HANDS DOWN, AND OWNING ANY COPY IS REALLY SPECIAL!!!!

MY FINAL THOUGHTS ARE THIS IS THE HOLY GRAIL OF THE HOBBY AND WHO KNOWS HOW HIGH THE PRICE WILL GO???!!!!????

ACTION 1 IS SIMPLY THE BEST BOOK HANDS DOWN, AND OWNING ANY COPY IS REALLY SPECIAL!!!!

I agree. I wish someone would start a thread about Action 1.