• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unofficial Underground Comix thread...
14 14

2,315 posts in this topic

On 9/19/2022 at 2:39 PM, Shadoww3 said:

Thank you both, previously in this thread several members helped me to identify that it's a printing error of a first edition of "It Ain't Me Babe", so it's a bit unique without reference on ebay or heritage. I've reattached it here. Do print errors typically go for much more than the standard version?

ItAintMeBabe_PrintError.jpeg

Sorry for my delay in answering.  Print variations like this can go for more if you can find the right buyer... and less if you find the wrong one.  I'm not aware of any general rule, other than "don't assume a single high sale of an error variant means anything."  You want to see at least two or three sales... not asking prices, actual sales... before you can assume there's a premium.

We also covered the point to look for to determine a first printing if the book has already been slabbed, a few pages back. It's quite easy to spot if you know what to look for, as CGC has proven that they don't always know what THEY are looking for when it comes to stating a first on Snatch #1. The comic book in question had been sold in a Heritage auction recently, and to my eye it was not a first as described in the catalog!!! Caveat Emptor on this one, folks!

On 10/4/2022 at 1:56 PM, hchill25 said:

Got this one in today. Guess I'll have to settle for a 4th printing, until a better one comes along...

Snatch 1968.jpg

Looks great but too bad they don’t make a smaller slab🎯

On 10/19/2022 at 5:13 AM, rakehell said:

Picked these up cheap the other week -

zap3.thumb.jpg.463b156e1be58b60e9476af036a24f4a.jpg

zap10.thumb.jpg.fbf4a7ca913710c4344c68fe35756bd7.jpg

How do I know what printing they are? The cover price is right, but I can't find anything to indicate 2nd or later printings. (shrug)

http://comixjoint.com/zapcomix3-1st.html

http://comixjoint.com/zapcomix10-1st.html

They're both either 1st or 2nd  prints.  The 10 should say if it's a 2nd on the inside front cover, if it doesn't say it's a second them it's a first.

The 3, I don't know how to determine it easily (comixjoint pretty much says break out a micrometer) but is probably a 2nd given the relative quantities.   More info at the link.

Nice pickups, by the way!

On 10/19/2022 at 5:17 PM, OtherEric said:

The 10 should say if it's a 2nd on the inside front cover, if it doesn't say it's a second them it's a first.

I thought so with the 10. It's a first.

On 10/19/2022 at 5:17 PM, OtherEric said:

The 3, I don't know how to determine it easily (comixjoint pretty much says break out a micrometer) but is probably a 2nd given the relative quantities.

Again, more or less what I was thinking. Thanks for the link. Very informative. (thumbsu

Still don't know...

On 10/25/2022 at 7:14 AM, rakehell said:

Thicker = 1st or 2nd?

Thicker is the 1st print. But your default assumption should be that you have a 2nd; there were an enormous number of those produced. Micrometer measurements aside, the 1st print cover is almost twice as thick, on average, as the 2nd print cover (there is some variation within both runs). It's pretty noticeable in hand.

On 10/28/2022 at 5:09 PM, OtherEric said:

The last time I was in SF, I had to report I didn’t see a single underground in the vicinity of Haight Ashbury.  This time, it went better.  Not a huge selection, but Mr. Natural #3 was one I needed.  And as a comic geek, buying an underground on the corner of Haight Ashbury was just a perfect moment.

25AF0F15-2077-4DB3-99FF-91FA86439E75.jpeg

Finding love on Haight Street...