• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unofficial Underground Comix thread...
14 14

2,304 posts in this topic

On 7/17/2022 at 10:38 PM, wpbooks01 said:

Binky Brown

Skull Comics

Slow Death

Bijou #8

Deviant Slice

Subvert

Power Pak (I like Aline much better than Trina and the gang at Wimmens)

Freak Bros. 1

Grimwit

Man From Utopia

Since you mentioned Zap and Air Pirates you already have a bit of the big picture. My list is subject to change, and if I don't have a particular issue cited, I mean the whole run. Sorry I'm bad at following instructions. And I have had a copy of the Captain Crud pb since I was a kid and my Mom bought me a copy without looking at it too closely. Thanks Mom, and Hi!

Hope this gives you some ideas Other Eric. I admit I'm partial to horror and violence in my comix, and lots of hardcore sex when drawn the way that appeals to me. I have standards after all. Good luck!

Thank you, this is just what I was hoping for.  Half the list, I already have (Binky Brown, Skull, Bijou 8, Subvert, and Freak Bros. 1); of the others there were a couple titles on my radar (Slow Death, Grimwit), a couple I had heard of but didn't really have on my list (Deviant Slice, Man from Utopia), and one I hadn't heard of- Power Pak.  So enough that I do have that I feel like I'm doing something generally right, and the perfect mix of things to check out. 

I don't know that anything is really essential, collect what you like. Even though I long collected Crumb, Spain, Kim Deitch, Shelton, Griffith, Robert Williams, Skip Williamson, Wilson, Rand Holmes and several other 1st gen UG artists, I never collected Corben, Bode, Irons and some other fan favorites, other than in anthologies with artists I did like. 

On 7/18/2022 at 4:41 PM, rjpb said:

I don't know that anything is really essential, collect what you like. Even though I long collected Crumb, Spain, Kim Deitch, Shelton, Griffith, Robert Williams, Skip Williamson, Wilson, Rand Holmes and several other 1st gen UG artists, I never collected Corben, Bode, Irons and some other fan favorites, other than in anthologies with artists I did like. 

I agree with the idea "collect what you like" completely; but I also think there's value in seeing what others consider the essential material.

On 7/18/2022 at 1:53 PM, OtherEric said:

A couple more in today:

Fear and Laughter.jpg

I have GOT to get me one of those!

I see "Raoul Duke" is credited with the lettering on page 35.  I wonder...

image.png.af5d9e293e076f5392f7c2e05cda5657.png

On 7/18/2022 at 7:12 PM, Axe Elf said:

That was my reaction when I found out the book existed as well.

I posted the two pages by Stevens over in the Dave Stevens thread in copper if you want to see those.

On 7/18/2022 at 4:41 PM, rjpb said:

Pretty much my point when I stated my interests. UG covers a lot of stuff, and much of it is dissimilar to everything else.

I recall buying Fear And Laughter off the rack when it came out. I never thought of it as UG, more like post-UG. It was published after Arcade and I always used that as the endpoint, if you will.  Of course just like content, that sort of thing is in the eye of the beholder! Silver Age into Bronze Age like....

On 7/18/2022 at 10:26 PM, wpbooks01 said:

I recall buying Fear And Laughter off the rack when it came out. I never thought of it as UG, more like post-UG. It was published after Arcade and I always used that as the endpoint, if you will.  Of course just like content, that sort of thing is in the eye of the beholder! Silver Age into Bronze Age like....

If it's on Comixjoint, I'll assume it's fair game here.  But agreed that late 70's books are much more on a case-by-case basis.

Edited to add:  I do need to track down Arcade #1 one of these days as well, I have the rest of the run.

Edited by OtherEric

On 7/20/2022 at 6:09 AM, oldmilwaukee6er said:
On 7/19/2022 at 1:57 PM, Jayman said:

Weird Trips # 2.jpg

This book sells well in Wisconsin not surprisingly... we do serial killers up Nort 

I purchased this directly from Denis Kitchen and he informed me that he had a nice stack of them for sale. Unfortunately, he stated that all his warehouse copied had rusty staples in various degrees. I asked him to please send me one with the least amount of rust, and he did.

On 7/20/2022 at 3:31 AM, oldmilwaukee6er said:

My ten in no order, a tougher exercise than anticipated... incl first 2 set per OP

Zap 0

Air Pirates 1

Zap 1

Slow Death 1

Mr Natural 1

Fed n Heads or Freak Bros 1

San Francisco 1

Insect Fear 1 or Subvert 1

American Splendor 1

Harold Hedd 2

Thank you.  I've got 7 of the books, would need 5, they're all on my list somewhere... although American Splendor 1 and San Francisco 1 will both be crazy hard to find.

On 7/18/2022 at 10:12 PM, Axe Elf said:

image.png.af5d9e293e076f5392f7c2e05cda5657.png

I had originally got a copy of this book not only for Hunter S. Thompson esque story, but also for the early Dave Stevens artwork.