• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unofficial Underground Comix thread...
14 14

2,304 posts in this topic

On 7/20/2022 at 8:20 PM, wpbooks01 said:

I recall there also being early Dave Stevens artwork in Quack.

I may have ordered a copy of Quack #1 a few days ago when I figured that out as well...

Although I consider Quack (and all the Star*Reach books) to not really be undergrounds.  The "ground level" label really does seem to fit them in a way it does very few other books.

On 7/27/2022 at 9:24 PM, OtherEric said:

Got some additions to my underground collection today.  To demonstrate that I am taking the suggestions seriously:

Power Pak 1.jpg

Power Pak 2.jpg

I should probably pick these up. When they came out I didn't really appreciate Aline Kominsky's work, and my only exposure was to her was in Dirty Laundry and a few anthiology titles she'd appeared in, but (re)reading some of her work when it was anthologized in the DL trade I enjoyed it more than I had the first time around. 

On 7/27/2022 at 9:24 PM, OtherEric said:

Got some additions to my underground collection today.  To demonstrate that I am taking the suggestions seriously:

Power Pak 1.jpg

Power Pak 2.jpg

Aline is an acquired taste that I'm quite happy I acquired! Her stuff makes me laugh, and that's what I want from a COMIC book! Mazel on your pick-up!

On 7/20/2022 at 8:58 PM, OtherEric said:

I may have ordered a copy of Quack #1 a few days ago when I figured that out as well...

Although I consider Quack (and all the Star*Reach books) to not really be undergrounds.  The "ground level" label really does seem to fit them in a way it does very few other books.

You give away your age using "ground level" :wink:

I never heard the term until I bought a copy of the Kennedy Guide when it came out. It's probably how I would classify books like Fear And Laughter and Weird Trips as well, being post-Arcade. Quack, Star Reach, Cerebus, etc. all fit that bill for me, as even the contributors seemed next generation. Most likely the only exception to me would be the run of Rip Off Comix, as it contained original UG creators.

Edited by wpbooks01

On 7/28/2022 at 2:12 PM, wpbooks01 said:

I never heard the term until I bought a copy of the Kennedy Guide when it came out. It's probably how I would classify books like Fear And Laughter and Weird Trips as well, being post-Arcade. Quack, Star Reach, Cerebus, etc. all fit that bill for me, as even the contributors seemed next generation. Most likely the only exception to me would be the run of Rip Off Comix, as it contained original UG creators.

I could see Rip Off Comix being described as ground level quite easily.

I continue to find it amusing that Rip Off Comix #8 has Alan Moore's first published work in the US... and he's the artist, not the writer.

On 8/11/2022 at 11:16 PM, OtherEric said:

Today's addition to the Underground collection:

Hydrogen Bomb Funnies.jpg

I love this! I've never seen this! Now I gotta have one! Thanks for sharing! That's the wonderful thing about undergrounds, there always seem to be another title that you've never heard of or seen before.:cloud9: