• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unofficial Underground Comix thread...
14 14

2,352 posts in this topic

On 9/3/2024 at 2:42 AM, comixbible said:

As promised, here are a few covers from some international comix in my collection:

Germany
Zomix #1 (D.K.S.A.G., 1979)

Greece
Χαυλιόδοντας

Sweden
Näst Sista Striden (Comix Nostra, 1973)

Switzerland
Paranoia City Anzeiger (1972)

Yugoslavia (Slovenia)
Magna Purga (Študentska Založba, 1977)

I have thousands of other examples. I've been collecting and documenting this stuff for a very long time. Mind you, I mostly ignore the stuff that has American reprints, nice as they are, but there's just so much of that out there and so little space left to stuff! That's to say, I strive to collect comix that were created by people native to the region they were published in.

WOW WOW WOW This is impressive. Too good to believe. Congratulation. AAAAA++++

"thousands of other examples"!!! Really you need to share with people, what about a web site of cover scans?

On 9/18/2024 at 6:50 PM, Darwination said:

If someone were to claim that undergrounds were the best comics ever, I wouldn't argue.  I almost can't verbalize or explain it or justify it, but it's true.  I still don't know what to expect when I open one up I've never read before.

Look at how gorgeous and inventive that title design and lettering is and yet simple at the same time.  Reminds me of this old pulp masthead:

West

The similarity of the comix to the pulp does not look coincidental.

On 9/18/2024 at 9:10 PM, sfcityduck said:

The similarity of the comix to the pulp does not look coincidental.

I think you may be right, West is a fairly common pulp and it had that basic logo for well over 100 issues.  The only issues I have of the series are much later, though.

On 9/18/2024 at 5:07 PM, sfcityduck said:

I have a better copy I haven't encapsulated

I would suggest holding off on slabbing anything scarce.  There's too much risk of damaging the books these days.

On 9/18/2024 at 5:07 PM, sfcityduck said:

Didn't know about this thread until wpbooks1 mentioned over on the GA forum. Got to say, I'm not a speculator but I have been snapping up the few nice copies of this comic I've seen because Spielgelman's "Prisoner" story was reprinted in Maus. That is how I learned about one of the most raw and powerful comics stories I've ever read. IMHO, undergrounds are under valued. And given the cultural import of Maus - I have no doubt that both Short Order Comix 1 and Funny Aminals 1 deserve greater appreciation than many more highly valued mainstream comics. They are art of high quality and cultural import. My Short Order Comix 1 is one of only two encapsulated - so its not surprising it tops the Census at an 8.5. I have a better copy I haven't encapsulated because I'm not flipping these things. My Funny Aminals is a 9.8 but there is a 9.9. I have no idea what price anyone's willing to pay for these, but I am sure it is too little compared to what they are.

Glad you could make it!!!

One of my lesser condition copies, and I am in total agreement with you as to it's and Funny Aminals importance in the grand scheme of funnyboox in general!!!

20170701_094028.thumb.jpg.8837ec2b02ea8f4778709ffc9c230c5d.jpg

20170701_094631.thumb.jpg.8f87083208fd00a3446b4cb8a5380d0b.jpg

Edited by wpbooks01