• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unofficial Underground Comix thread...
14 14

2,304 posts in this topic

Thanks 50 Cent!

Not from a collection I bought, just some of the books I picked up over the years. Most are online purchases. I spent many years scouring the internet for deals. The Inahaba, for example, came from Australia; shipping was more than the book, still worth it though. I haven't been buying much for the last five years, but before that I was pretty rabid.

Well, the Haight Ashbury Pedigree items in todays HA auction went for a much more reasonable amount. Some of the notable items by price were Best Buy Comics #1 (1st print) 9.8 NOT Haight Ashbury pedigree still went for a $650. Bizarre Sex #8 9.4 Haight Ashbury went for $1.135. Chicago Mirror #3 9.6 (probably the rarest item in the lots) went for $1.3k. Coochy Cooty (1st print) 9.6 NOT Haight Ashbury went for $500. Dirty Duck #1 9.8 NOT from Haight Ashbury went for $380. Dirty Laundry 9.8 NOT from Haight Ashbury went for $1.3k. Doomsday 9.4 NOT from Haight Ashbury went for $597. Fat Freddy's Cat #1 (1st print) 9.4 Haight-Ashbury went for $1.9k but #2-4 at 9.6 went for $300-400 and #5 at 9.8 went for $550. Tales from the Leather Nun (1st print) 9.8 NOT from Haight-Ashbury went for $500. Up from the Deep (1st print) 9.6 Haight-Ashbury went for $525. Zap Comix #1 (3rd print) 9.9 NOT Haight-Ashbury $657. Zap Comix #3 (2nd print) 9.8 File Copy NOT from Haight-Ashbury went for $358. Zap Comix #7 (1st print) 9.8 NOT Haight-Ashbury went for $525.

Watched on the live stream and was pretty impressed by some of the ferocious bidding. Of course it's hard to say when (or even if) a sale with ultra-high-grade copies like this will ever come along again, and perhaps that's why the overall results were so strong. Not too many bargains left to be had, maybe Die Gretchen in 9.6 which I thought was a steal at less than $200.

Loved that Safe N' Sound, Doomsday, and Chicago Mirror #3... seriously snazzy books!

I'm glad I won one that I can add to the collection that's from the Howard Greber collection and is also a Haight-Ashbury Pedigree as well as one of 3 of the highest graded copy with one of my favorite Corben covers on it. Lost out on my favorite Corben cover, but I'm still pretty happy.

Unexpected additions to the collection. Guess I'm branching into Underground OA (both covers). Both from the Ray Zone collection and published by Ray Zone.

Original Cover Art for Hoodoo (1988) by Mary Fleener.

http://atomicavenue.com/atomic/issue/123512/Hoodoo-1

Original Cover Art Painting for Brain-Bat 3-D (1992) by XNO.

http://comicspriceguide.com/titles/brain-bat-3-d/rjrri

Edited by 50 Cent #II (1st)

Is that an homage to Aramdillo World Headquarters I see on that cover?

Yes sir... Well actually the book probably predates the Armadillo World Headquarters by a couple of months, it came out in March of 1970. It was published by the Vulcan Gas Company and the cover art is by Dillo co-founder Jim Franklin.