• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Unofficial Underground Comix thread...
14 14

2,304 posts in this topic

That's some really rare UGs you've got there, erehwon.

Anyone watch some of Greber's collection auctioned on HA? Most went for crazy high money, and there were some that shocked me. Zap #1 1st print 9.6 went for only $4.421.50 but high grade commons like XYZ for $2.6k, Motor City #2 1st print 9.8 for $4k, Freak Brothers #1 (1st print) 9.6 went for a whopping $9.56k (who would have ever thought a 9.6 Freak Brothers #1 1st would go for more than twice a Zap Comix #1 1st print 9.6?). Any of the common Haight Ashbury pedigree went for stupid money like Feel Good Funnies 9.8 for $2.27k and Mean person_without_enough_empathy Thrills 9.8 for $1k. Biggest shock to me was someone wanted that Maus #1 Sig. Series Speigelman in 8.0 for a crazy $2.6k (Speigelman hasn't passed yet and there's probably many higher grade copies out there since it was included in an issue of Raw). I lost out on the two I bid on, but I might be there tomorrow. With the crazy prices Howard's collection is bringing in, maybe it's now time for a market turn around on Undergrounds that have cooled over the last couple years. In fact, I'm pretty sure that these prices will cause an increase in Underground Comix interest.

That Maus sale is a real head scratcher to me. So it's signed....big deal, AS will sign pretty much everything. To me that book is a mutilation as it should be attached to the copy of Raw it came with. What a ridiculous and revolting development.

I'm glad you're following the prices 50, as the report here is the only place I'm stumbling onto them. Don't really care much about how these kinds of things turn out, except that Maus makes me mental.....like the commercials used to say...not sold separately!

That's some really rare UGs you've got there, erehwon.

Anyone watch some of Greber's collection auctioned on HA? Most went for crazy high money, and there were some that shocked me. Zap #1 1st print 9.6 went for only $4.421.50 but high grade commons like XYZ for $2.6k, Motor City #2 1st print 9.8 for $4k, Freak Brothers #1 (1st print) 9.6 went for a whopping $9.56k (who would have ever thought a 9.6 Freak Brothers #1 1st would go for more than twice a Zap Comix #1 1st print 9.6?). Any of the common Haight Ashbury pedigree went for stupid money like Feel Good Funnies 9.8 for $2.27k and Mean person_without_enough_empathy Thrills 9.8 for $1k. Biggest shock to me was someone wanted that Maus #1 Sig. Series Speigelman in 8.0 for a crazy $2.6k (Speigelman hasn't passed yet and there's probably many higher grade copies out there since it was included in an issue of Raw). I lost out on the two I bid on, but I might be there tomorrow. With the crazy prices Howard's collection is bringing in, maybe it's now time for a market turn around on Undergrounds that have cooled over the last couple years. In fact, I'm pretty sure that these prices will cause an increase in Underground Comix interest.

I didn't bid on anything, but looking at the results of the first 34 lots that sold today, I wouldn't have won a damn thing anyways! Strong results indeed!! Pretty much everything but the Zaps sold for more than I would have expected. The Freak Brothers #1 is a jaw-dropping copy, but I wouldn't have guessed nearly $10k; same on the prices for Motor City #2 and XYZ. And just wow on the Haight Ashbury books... Light Comitragies in 9.4 sold for $830! Other highlights for me so far include the strong result on the Foo lot (that lot is just too cool for words), the San Francisco Comics #1 9.4 at nearly $2.3k, the Mr Natural #1 9.6 at $2.6k, and the Feds n' Heads 9.6 at $3k+. I did find it strange, however, that the C*nt newsprint edition in 9.8 sold for more than the much scarcer white paper edition in the same grade (can somebody explain that one to me?). Howard's collection is simply one of the best. When books like this hit the market it will inevitably draw some attention, and should, as you say, stir some interest for underground comix... I certainly hope it will!

That Maus sale is a real head scratcher to me. So it's signed....big deal, AS will sign pretty much everything. To me that book is a mutilation as it should be attached to the copy of Raw it came with. What a ridiculous and revolting development.

I'm glad you're following the prices 50, as the report here is the only place I'm stumbling onto them. Don't really care much about how these kinds of things turn out, except that Maus makes me mental.....like the commercials used to say...not sold separately!

When I first saw that Maus booklet, it took a moment before it registered that what I was looking at was a detached Raw insert inside a CGC case. A strange sight indeed... I think the reason I was at first thrown-off was because--like you--I would think of the booklet as incomplete without the issue it came in... Due to its larger than life format, CGC doesn't grade Raw; but if it did, would a copy of Raw #2 grade as complete if it had the Maus booklet missing?

hm

Let's not get started on how CGC would grade the seventh issue of Raw with the deliberately torn cover.

When I first saw that Maus booklet, it took a moment before it registered that what I was looking at was a detached Raw insert inside a CGC case. A strange sight indeed... I think the reason I was at first thrown-off was because--like you--I would think of the booklet as incomplete without the issue it came in... Due to its larger than life format, CGC doesn't grade Raw; but if it did, would a copy of Raw #2 grade as complete if it had the Maus booklet missing?

hm

Let's not get started on how CGC would grade the seventh issue of Raw with the deliberately torn cover.

To answer your first question: How could it? The Maus booklet is part of the guts of the issue of Raw, if' it's not there it's the same to me as say a Mad Annual missing it's insert, or let's go with UG and compare it to say a Deep 3D without the attached glasses. Now look at the reverse...would you want the glasses without the book or the inserts without the magazines? If both elements are not together you don't have 2 different books, you have 2 different mutilated copies.

As far as the second question goes, if you have the correct piece of Raw #7 that fits into the torn section, then you have a mutilated copy, too. AS and Ms. Mouly state in many places that the torn segment should NOT match the torn cover. Therefore, if the piece is incorrect and mounted in the right place, CGC should grade it accordingly like any other comic/magazine.....also since they grade posters now, why don't they use a variant of those containers to slab issues of Raw in? So much confusion and so much beauty....I weep.

Extremely cool rarities, erewhon!

As for the HA auction prices, I'm happy for Howards family, but those prices are nuts.

Thanks rjpb!!

It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the books in the auction do. There are still some real gems that have yet to sell.

hm

To answer your first question: How could it? The Maus booklet is part of the guts of the issue of Raw, if' it's not there it's the same to me as say a Mad Annual missing it's insert, or let's go with UG and compare it to say a Deep 3D without the attached glasses. Now look at the reverse...would you want the glasses without the book or the inserts without the magazines? If both elements are not together you don't have 2 different books, you have 2 different mutilated copies.

As far as the second question goes, if you have the correct piece of Raw #7 that fits into the torn section, then you have a mutilated copy, too. AS and Ms. Mouly state in many places that the torn segment should NOT match the torn cover. Therefore, if the piece is incorrect and mounted in the right place, CGC should grade it accordingly like any other comic/magazine.....also since they grade posters now, why don't they use a variant of those containers to slab issues of Raw in? So much confusion and so much beauty....I weep.

:grin: