• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comiclink results....holy cr@p!

375 posts in this topic

Not much time left and a classic cover More Fun #58 in 9.0 is sitting well below guide price. :popcorn:

Can you believe that it sold for $4,900! :screwy:

I paid $4,700 2.5 years ago for the CGC 8.5 Nova Scotia copy, and that - I thought - was cheap since it was from a Mastro auction.

same as it sold on ebay for last month.... I think adam sold that book last year in SD for like $6000?

I believe that GPA needs permission in order to utilize the sales data, because they are charging for the service. For reasons unknown, comiclink does not allow GPA to record the sales data. For a minute GPA was recording their sales, but those were quickly removed. I have made some aggressive purchases on comiclink in the past that I wouldn't mind having reflected on GPA, but alas, I do not see this changing any time soon (if ever).

Do a search in general. George can use the figures but wants to be certain the sales went through and only C-link can provide that for consignment. He's gone back and forth about recording auction results. Can't recall the reasoning other than it didn't quite make sense to me.

I'm pretty sure GPA got some sort of nasty cease-and-desist letter from Clink once they started trying to incorporate the auction results.

I don't recall mention of that but not at all certain there is any reason to pay attention to it either.

This was the first time I've ever watched a CL auction closely. I am shocked at how low the Platinum and GA prices, at least for the books I watched, realized. While the NY World's Fair 1940 is not, by any sense, a hot book, the Church copy (although only CGC 5.5) went barely over guide. And the New Comics #1 CGC 9.4 went for half what it should have obtained. :screwy:

Mine too Mark, and I wanted to ask you guys (gold collectors) what you all thought of the GA market? I'm mostly a SA/BA (i actually read moderns too tho), and thought the SA stuff was all over the place. Certain Rocky MTN prices were Insane, going over $3300+ gpa at times. Yet others, going very low.

So just curious what your GA market is like? I saw the NY World's Fair, and thought it should have gone higher?? Let me know what you guys think, teach this SA/BA guy a thing or two...

I can't say I'm surprised at a slew of soft results. Some of it is probably due to the Clink itself, but the market is well overdue for a correction. See the thread here for some data on the prices of the Overstreet top 100 over the last 10 years.

That sort of rise couldn't be expected to sustain in the present economy.

Tim:

What do you think about the Ducks in this auction? Of course, you and others have always said that CLink is not the place for Duck books. I threw in a thrill bid that ended up winning tonight. All the Ducks I saw seemed to end really weak. Even the #9 7.5 went for 15-20% less than GPA from 2007.

My opinion is that Ducks are collapsing. It's not a complete apples to apples comparison because these got sold on Clink, which (again) I will say is not a good place to sell Ducks, but I think even if they sold on Heritage, prices would be below where they were 1-2 years ago.

Perhaps there was also some impact from the fact that well over $100K was spent on WDCSs in the last Heritage auction, but when you factor in the economy, the fact that many of the big buyers in recent years were from Europe, and the now weaker Euro, the fundamentals would seem to support that a correction was due.

Prices were weak in the Heritage Auction compared to the market peak and many of those were highest graded copies. No reason to assume that the ones on clink weren't going to suffer further drops.

I can't say I'm surprised at a slew of soft results.

From what I saw in Heritage's recent auction, I must say that I am. There was some huge prices paid for books in their auction, with no regard to any "recession"

This was the first time I've ever watched a CL auction closely. I am shocked at how low the Platinum and GA prices, at least for the books I watched, realized. While the NY World's Fair 1940 is not, by any sense, a hot book, the Church copy (although only CGC 5.5) went barely over guide. And the New Comics #1 CGC 9.4 went for half what it should have obtained. :screwy:

Mine too Mark, and I wanted to ask you guys (gold collectors) what you all thought of the GA market? I'm mostly a SA/BA (i actually read moderns too tho), and thought the SA stuff was all over the place. Certain Rocky MTN prices were Insane, going over $3300+ gpa at times. Yet others, going very low.

So just curious what your GA market is like? I saw the NY World's Fair, and thought it should have gone higher?? Let me know what you guys think, teach this SA/BA guy a thing or two...

GA market is soft, but not soft enough on some of the books I really want. rantrant

GA market is soft, but not soft enough on some of the books I really want. rantrant

:roflmao: Well I want to start focusing on early Bat's and Tec's... i'm assuming those are strong, or can I pick up a deal or two? Just curious.

:roflmao: Well I want to start focusing on early Bat's and Tec's... i'm assuming those are strong, or can I pick up a deal or two? Just curious.

Here's an example of "not soft" price link

Not much time left and a classic cover More Fun #58 in 9.0 is sitting well below guide price. :popcorn:

I paid $4,700 2.5 years ago for the CGC 8.5 Nova Scotia copy, and that - I thought - was cheap since it was from a Mastro auction.

same as it sold on ebay for last month.... I think adam sold that book last year in SD for like $6000?

So, should I keep the Nova Scotia CGC 8.5 or the 9.0? :popcorn:

why only have 1, when you can have 2

why only have 1, when you can have 2

I like to share the joy. :headbang:

From what I saw in Heritage's recent auction, I must say that I am. There was some huge prices paid for books in their auction, with no regard to any "recession"

If I was a seller, I would never put GA books into a CL auction as that is simply not the best venue for GA books. Similarly, if I have HG SA or BA books, I would never put them into a Heritage auction because that is not the best venue for them.

Proper selection of your auction venue is critical if you are attempting to maximize the dollars you are going to receive for your books. hm

If I was a seller, I would never put GA books into a CL auction as that is simply not the best venue for GA books. Similarly, if I have HG SA or BA books, I would never put them into a Heritage auction because that is not the best venue for them.

Proper selection of your auction venue is critical if you are attempting to maximize the dollars you are going to receive for your books. hm

I couldn't agree more. I have always thought this to be the case, but the softness of the economy has made it even more glaringly so. IMHO

I couldn't agree more. I have always thought this to be the case, but the softness of the economy has made it even more glaringly so. IMHO

If prices are softening, will we see as many offerings in May with no reserve? hm

I'm feeling this way right now. A BA book I had went for a record price, but two OA and a GA lots are languishing.

I'm feeling this way right now. A BA book I had went for a record price, but two OA and a GA lots are languishing.

It will be interesting to see what happens over the next year or two, but my guess is there will be continued softening of prices AND, more importantly for us foreign collectors, a weakening of the $US (see the Feds announcement today for another prime bit of info). I think I am going to stop buying for the new collection for a bit and see what happens to prices. No use paying more at a higher exchange rate now instead of waiting and saving a few $$$.

If prices are softening, will we see as many offerings in May with no reserve? hm

What we need is for the auction houses to stop having so damn many auctions! Everyone take a hiatus and come back in 6 months!