• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Archive Buying?

50 posts in this topic

Don't get me wrong, I think the concept itself is a fantastic idea. I got into collecting Golden Age books in late August 2006, and bid on many books in Heritage's September 2006 auction. I spent a lot of $ on their September auction, but my focus was on books that closed for $1200 each and below. I have been waiting for several higher dollar books to surface for 2.5 years now, so having the ability to throw out an offer has a lot of appeal.

Some of the offers I have made on some books far exceed the FMV value, so it is clear that the owners have no interest in selling. Apparently the books that I have been hoping to come to market have nice cushy permanent homes (grumble, grumble) :)

Recipe for failure. Limited success initially at first at best.

From what I read here on this Thread, the comics won't be sold unless the Sellers are making Bank, which is great, but most comic buyers know the value of what they are seeing up "for sale"..

CAL who struggled w/ Heritage

Well, I just put in an offer on one of my grails :cloud9:

How do you place an offer on an archive book? I looked up a few and didn't see a button or field for this yet.

Still, Heritage should send an alert out to previous winners that this is out there as otherwise I would assume it is a phishing scam.

From what I read here on this Thread, the comics won't be sold unless the Sellers are making Bank, which is great, but most comic buyers know the value of what they are seeing up "for sale"..

CAL who is the party pooper (kidding),

I see your point as if you look at some of the archived items, those prices may not be applicable to today if the book has suffered a market dip. So it would be a waste of time even sending an offer in those situations.

This will need a lot of thought and testing (and communications from Heritage about this feature) before it goes smooth.

CAL who is the party pooper (kidding),

I see your point as if you look at some of the archived items, those prices may not be applicable to today if the book has suffered a market dip. So it would be a waste of time even sending an offer in those situations.

This will need a lot of thought and testing (and communications from Heritage about this feature) before it goes smooth.

It appears that Heritage had a great idea, but if the Sellers are not going to sell, then this will unfortunately pass by the wayside. I no longer waste my time with Heritage. If the items were a better bargain, it would be different.

CAL looking for bargains

How do you place an offer on an archive book? I looked up a few and didn't see a button or field for this yet.

Still, Heritage should send an alert out to previous winners that this is out there as otherwise I would assume it is a phishing scam.

It only applies to those who have selected to be apart of the service....not everyone.

It only applies to those who have selected to be apart of the service....not everyone.

I see what you are talking about - would have been nice if I read the Heritage MyCollection section where it states "Heritage Clients CAN Make Offers on items marked with a Status of 'Taking Offers.' "

Thanks

Ahhh, so when you do a search in the Archive Sales section, there is a button indicating the owner is open to a sale. Easier than going through every book to find something.

Now to contact this owner of an amazing piece of artwork.

Heritagemakeoffer.jpg

Like I said, I'm warmng up to the concept but agree that Heritage needs to notify potential owners that these offers may be coming and I think that notice should contain a blanket opt-out for people that don't want to deal with it... maybe after the Beta test they'll do so. I also think they need to screen out ridiculous lowball offers that are just going to annoy people... they have minimums on their own consigned "buy it now" material and I don't think this should be treated any differently... unless they maybe have an "opt-in" for those that want to hear lowball offers.

Regarding lack of response on offers, my perspective is that if I haven't put a book up for sale it's something that I'm happy to have in my collection and so I have to be "enticed" to sell it... in other words, the offer has to be attractive (i.e., bargain offers aren't likely to work unless you're lucky enough to put an offer on a book that the owner unsuccessfully tried to sell in the past).

I placed an offer on a book about 2 weeks ago and my offer was accepted. I then received an email from Heritage for my payment info (gave them an echeck). At the end of the summary bill, it had a shipping date between Mar. 21-28th. In that email, it said that I will receive a final confirmation regarding that order in 2 days. Didn't receive it. After a week, I emailed Heritage and asked them where my final confirmation email was, but they never sent me an email. So, I will give them a call on Monday and ask them about the status. Will let you guys know what happens.

I'm confused. I looked at some of my auction winnings and a few had the make offer but not all. I didn't activate anything that I know of and in one instance, I won two books during the same auction - one had a make offer, the other did not. I thought maybe it was a dollar amount trigger but the one that had the make offer was slightly less than the other.

I clicked on the one to make offer to see if I could make an offer to myself - it wouldn't let me ;)

As I was searching the archives, it appears the person/operation that owns the original 8-page artwork for House of Secrets 92 ("Swamp Thing" storyline) has it up for accepting offers.

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=804&Lot_No=7451&src=pr

Anyone have a spare $36K I can borrow and make a comic collector's dreams come true?

Doesn't Metropolis own this artwork, or just the original cover?

If anything, it is really neat to go back into their archive and see some of the items that have sold over the years. Also interesting how prices for the same item (and I mean the same exact books resold through them) would sell sky-high in one auction, and nosedive in another. Shame!

Always wondered if I called them would they contact the winner to make an offer, but never bothered.

I tried that back in 2006. I was told that they were not willing to do so, so I ended up calling all kinds of dealers wondering if they had picked anything up in the Heritage Signature Auctions. The fact that they are allowing others to make offers on Archive books suggests that I was not the only one who had contacted them about sending an anonymous offer.

Looks like there's a minimum bid for each book. I wonder how that's calculated. It's certainly not by the owner. One of Bedrock's books is on there with a minimum bid that's thousands shy of what he'd accept for the book.

As I was searching the archives, it appears the person/operation that owns the original 8-page artwork for House of Secrets 92 ("Swamp Thing" storyline) has it up for accepting offers.

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=804&Lot_No=7451&src=pr

Anyone have a spare $36K I can borrow and make a comic collector's dreams come true?

Doesn't Metropolis own this artwork, or just the original cover?

If anything, it is really neat to go back into their archive and see some of the items that have sold over the years. Also interesting how prices for the same item (and I mean the same exact books resold through them) would sell sky-high in one auction, and nosedive in another. Shame!

I do not believe the complete story is for sale.

Looks like there's a minimum bid for each book. I wonder how that's calculated. It's certainly not by the owner. One of Bedrock's books is on there with a minimum bid that's thousands shy of what he'd accept for the book.

I saw that and was wondering if Heritage, by default, inserted their 10% markup. I tried a few books and that seems close to the right amount, but then I found a few slightly higher.

Interesting.

I placed an offer on a book about 2 weeks ago and my offer was accepted. I then received an email from Heritage for my payment info (gave them an echeck). At the end of the summary bill, it had a shipping date between Mar. 21-28th. In that email, it said that I will receive a final confirmation regarding that order in 2 days. Didn't receive it. After a week, I emailed Heritage and asked them where my final confirmation email was, but they never sent me an email. So, I will give them a call on Monday and ask them about the status. Will let you guys know what happens.

does NOT sound good

CAL who wishes you luck!!! :wishluck:

They start with what you paid as a STARTING offer... that's the default. Also, just because you see "Accepting offers" doesn't mean they really are. By default, they turned it ON for the books; it's up to the "owners" (or to Heritage, who purchased that book) to turn it off.

As indicated before, I would've prefered a simple e-mail about the new feature and have it OFF by default until I turn it on. I'm sure these settings are sure to make both parties irrate (seller for receiving offers he didn't approve, buyers for not having offers considered).

I'm also curious how they handle this if the same book sells multiple times...the last sell of a given book should have ownership.

They start with what you paid as a STARTING offer... that's the default.

Actually, I assumed the same thing and then sampled 20 books that I always look for. When you click Make Offer, the prices are higher than the original sale price.

I wonder if this was a Borockovation as it makes sense what they are doing so as not to have a dead market on previous books. I'm just not sure folks are going to appreciate the emails as you stated Sterling.

This was my concern as I have purchased their "for sale" books in the past and the process, simply stated, sucks. Great website and all, but how they handle non-auction items needs some process overhaul.