• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thanks for NOTHING Bill Sienkiewicz!
2 2

619 posts in this topic

No sense of humour (shrug)

I don't think Scott realizes how many of these "Wait 'til you hear this" type chain-yank threads there have been this week.

And, knowing what Scott is soon to post, this thread really will have a great payoff in the end.

Ok everyone, I feel like the natives are getting restless, so I think I will post the scan that Bill sent to me, even though it is still on its way to me.

As you know, if you have followed the history of this thread, Bill and I were having some "issues". I will not re-hash the past as it has been detailed ad nauseum.

What I will talk about is the events of the past two months. When this thread and the Bleeding Cool thread blew up, it came to Bill's attention through several of you who contacted him. Bill called me on the phone almost immediately. I missed his first call, but he left a message which I returned. At first our discussion was heated, each of us stating our case. Bill realized that I was very upset at what I viewed as a true slap in the face based on the original sketch. He assured me that he had not intentionally drawn a hidden p e n i s in the artwork and that it was shocking to him that I would think so. I told him that all I knew is what someone on the boards had found hidden, and I, along with everyone else on here agreed it appeared to be a p e n is. He swore that it was not true and that if I was that upset about it, he would do everything to prove that we were all mistaken. We both agreed on the phone that night to try and calm down, to look at this with an open mind and to try and work together to fix this really bad situation. I told him I would be in touch and we said goodnight. When I got to work that following Monday, Bill had sent me an email once again stating how sorry he was that I was upset, and assuring me that it was not his intent to disrespect me as he values his fans and the respect they give to him. We had a few conversations after that, but a truly telling one was when he told me about having Thanksgiving dinner with some friends. He said that his friends asked him what was going on with the sketch he had drawn as it was not a really cool thing to do. He told them that he had not drawn a hidden p e n i s in the sketch. They then proceeded to show him the posts on Bleeding Cool, where he obviously saw it for the first time. He says that then and there he had to admit to his friends that it definitely looked like a p e n i s in the sketch. He said that it was not meant to be there, but he completely understood why I and everyone else who saw it thought it was an insult. He told me that his friends rode him pretty hard about it and he felt bad for it. After that discussion, my relationship with Bill changed. Over the next month, I feel like I was able to get to know Bill a little better, and started to like him as a person. Before I was simply a fan of his, and had stuck through even after three years. The sketch felt like a total insult, but I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as he seemed completely sincere about doing the right thing. I wanted this bad situation to be over, and I was willing to put my pride aside in the hopes that it would turn out for the best.

The first of December I gave Bill an idea of what I would like the next sketch to be. He seemed intrigued by the idea. I sent him a reference in the event he didn't have one readily available. He said that he would love to give it a go. He asked me if he could modernize it a bit. I said to run with it. Over the month of December we conversed several times, and it felt nice to be having a civil, constructive conversation with Bill. Getting to know Bill made me more willing to forgive the past three years. He even sent me a text on Christmas Eve wishing me and my family a happy holiday. That was a nice thing to do, simple to be sure, but it made me feel like he had truly wanted to let me know that he was not taking my trust and respect for granted. I talked to Bill after Christmas and he said that he would have the piece completed after the holidays. He said that he hoped I would like it.

Earlier this week I received an email from Bill with a scan attached. He told me to open it and tell him what I thought. Let me just say that my jaw dropped to the floor. I was hoping for something nice, but I think "nice" is an understatement. Through my conversations with Bill, I feel that his apologies were heartfelt, and he wanted to "prove" himself to me by what he chose to do for me. Through all of the troubles we have had together, I feel that this has been a means for me and Bill to become friends. After all that we have been through together, and he admits that he works much too slow sometimes (which is a New Year's resolution of his he wants to work on), I think the thing that I will value the most from this is that we have become friends because of it. However, that doesn't take away from the fact that he has created for me, what may be the coolest comic related thing that I possess.

During our conversations, I told Bill about my love for pre-code horror and crime comics. I told him about my favorite comic and the story behind it. It is Crime Suspenstories 22 with the classic Johnny Craig decapitation cover. My copy is also signed by Bill Gaines, which makes it that much more important to me. Bill was intrigued by the idea and said it might be a lot of fun to play around with. I honestly was expecting something that incorporated elements of the cover, not an almost actual recreation of it. Keep in mind this is an upload of a scan that he sent me. The email he sent me was much clearer than this upload, and I am certain the actual piece is going to blow me away in person. It is exactly how I would want a piece of art from Bill to look like. I want to thank him so much for creating such an amazing piece of art for me.

Let me know what you guys think.

CSSRECREATION-WEB.jpg

Ok everyone, I feel like the natives are getting restless, so I think I will post the scan that Bill sent to me, even though it is still on its way to me.

The check is in the mail... :roflmao:

Seriously though, i hope you receive that piece, love it (thumbs u

(but color me skeptic)